Car would not unlock this morning (after the trunk opened)! Locked out!

toccata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L
This has not happened to me but I think I remotely unlock my car before I try to open my trunk. I am not clear if you guys are accessing your trunk while the cabin doors are still locked or not. I suppose it shouldn't matter.
Sponsored

jburrowes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I open the trunk first while the doors are still locked. It hasn't happened again so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

firemist32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 RAM Eco-diesel
Anyone else have the issue or a solution? Has not happened to me except the one time in April

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Encountered this today. Opened the trunk with the button on the underside of the trunk, and I think the car beeped once when I closed the trunk (which I found odd). Touching the door handle did not unlock the car as it usually does, and the buttons on the remote had no effect. Had to utilize the physical key to unlock the door (though my alarm did not go off when I did so). After that, the keyfob worked as expected.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I'm on the phone now with Honda Customer Services discussing the problem. They believe it is a "sensing" issue where the car somehow thinks the fob got locked in the trunk. They have no good solution other than manually unlocking it, and no suggestion about the proper way to close the trunk with the keys in your hand so the car won't misplace the location of the fob.

OP
OP

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
That sounds like a totally made up answer by the person you spoke with - which wouldn't be surprising, given my past experiences with them (and customer service reps in general - even Apple)

If the car thought the fob got locked in the trunk, it makes absolutely no sense that pressing the unlock button would not unlock the car - after all, that's what you would want in that scenario.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Oh, I know it made no sense. I asked where I was supposed to hold the fob while closing the trunk if it wasn't save to hold in my hand. However, I resolved to: 1., unlocked the car doors before closing the trunk lid; and, 2. teach my wife how to use the manual key in case this happens to her.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
What's the build date on your cars? Located on a sticker on the driver side door.

Dealerdance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura CSX
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap I just experience this yesterday! So I was at school, and just like the other posts here, I had first opened the trunk to place my bag in it. Then I walked to the drivers side door and tried to open the door like I did ever since I got the car but nope...it wouldn't open. I then pulled out the keys and press the unlock button but that didn't do anything at all. None of the doors, the trunk would open again. I did make a video of this situation because I had the car for about two months and I'm sure the dealer wouldn't have any excuse to refuse fixing it if I had video evidence. I'm just at work but I plan to upload it onto YouTube and post the link here by tonight.

Edit: Would like to add that I was also parked in a garage! Garage+trunk opening= all doors to get locked? wtf

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
This happened to me once in the six months that I owned the car. Similar scenario: I came out of a big box hardware store, put something in the trunk and then the doors wouldn't open after that. I actually laughed when it happened to me since I had been reading about it happening to others on this board in a much earlier thread on the same topic. Some people speculated that it was more likely to happen when the car was wet but mine occurred on a dry sunny day.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
This issue happened to me today morning. I placed my bag inside the trunk - the car was locked. After I closed the trunk door, the blinkers turned on - in a solid mode and the car would not unlock. I tried opening with a manual key, but still the car would not unlock. It is a open parking lot. Any one has any suggestions?

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
Mine did it to me while leaving a hotel at 3am. Sorry to everyone I woke up.
Sponsored