Car Washes - Please Don't Hate Me Too Much

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright Everyone. I LOVE to wash my car by hand (nothing fancy, just a simple wash and hand dry with microfiber towels). That said, there are times like right now where I haven't had the time to do it and the car sits dirty for weeks and I hate it. I've gone through an automatic car wash at least 2 times and done the manual bay wash myself a couple times too in the 16 months I've had the car. Like I said, I'm manual all the way if I can.

That said, in instances where I need to use a car wash what one should I use? I know the brushless washes put swirls in the paint over time right? How many washes does that take to happen? I've also heard the washes with brushes can easily put scratches into the car. It seems like each side has arguments on which is better depending on who you ask. In full disclosure I will say after my first car wash (with brushes) I noticed very thin marks across the piano black bumper. I'm assuming they buff out and you don't see them unless you're up close but they drive me nuts.

So what is it? Which do you prefer? Brushless or Brushes?
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brushless. I’ve avoided going to automatic car washes because the ones around me are not touchless ie have brushes. And I’d rather the car stay dirty than have it scratched because the car wash had a nasty ass truck that went mudding before me and the brushes collect some abrasive debris and scratch my car’s paint.

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch *Sold*
Country flag
Brushless or touchless is safe I've heard but we don't have any around here so I always hand wash.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If I go to a car wash I'll only use full touchless. I occasionally do that as a "pre-clean" and then do a waterless wash/wax back at my apartment afterward. Can't really do a full bucket hand wash at the complex.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I normally hand wash but the summer in Florida is extremely hot so I go to self wash many in Florida ( the cost of water is a lot) also there’s many car washes in Florida ( 8 of them where I live) when I use the self wash I bring my own brush don’t used the brush in the wash station rinse- soap-brush rinse- and spotless rinse then use waterless car wash and wax and dry if I try hand washing at home in the summer time the soap drys too fast the winter time in Florida is the best time too hand wash

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use the automatic car wash 80% of the time. The kind with the brushes and dancing spongy things and all.(Mister Car Wash)
For $20 a month, I get unlimited washes. Hell, on a rainy day, I might hit it twice.
I have yet to have a problem with scratches or anything and my piano black grille looks as good as new.
After I run through the wash, I pull over to the free vacuums and hit the inside.
I also wipe down any water that was left by the dryer and apply some tire shine.
15 minutes tops and I'm back on the road. Can't beat it.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I use the automatic car wash 80% of the time. The kind with the brushes and dancing spongy things and all.(Mister Car Wash)
For $20 a month, I get unlimited washes. Hell, on a rainy day, I might hit it twice.
I have yet to have a problem with scratches or anything and my piano black grille looks as good as new.
After I run through the wash, I pull over to the free vacuums and hit the inside.
I also wipe down any water that was left by the dryer and apply some tire shine.
15 minutes tops and I'm back on the road. Can't beat it.
When I lived on Long Island there was a car wash called mister sparkle

OP
OP
jvivlemore

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can, Get a bucket and buy Optimum no rinse. No need to rinse the car and a bucket of water is all youll need to keep it clean
I've never heard of this product before. I'll check it out. Thanks.