tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Fair enough, I didn't even think about that. Maybe heated water with antifreeze added. lol
If the water is too hot, it could cause your windshield to shatter. Speaking of which, don’t wash your car until the car’s interior is warm.
Sponsored

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
If the water is too hot, it could cause your windshield to shatter. Speaking of which, don’t wash your car until the car’s interior is warm.
Ohh damn yet another thing I did not think about, good point. Sounds like a real problem for Northerners. I give up at this point, Maybe cover entire car in saran wrap and then when it gets dirty you can peel it off, hahaha just kidding.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Ohh damn yet another thing I did not think about, good point. Sounds like a real problem for Northerners. I give up at this point, Maybe cover entire car in saran wrap and then when it gets dirty you can peel it off, hahaha just kidding.
To be honest, they have a product that uses similar ideas to clear snow off your windshield during the winter. Basically you put down this mat that ties down over the windshield of the car. Then you just pull the mat off and dump the snow :p It's still possible (and necessary) to wash your car in the winter, but I'd stick to touchless automatic washes for this and make sure your windows are successfully defrosted.

Plo_ol

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I learned this the hard way also but thank god not with my type r
i had a mugen si i took through one of these and it just tore off my spoiler :(

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Well in Fl we have no snow, no ice, no salt. When I lived in the Poconos I used the "garage door" enclosed car washes that washed the bottom of my car as well as the top. Yes, soap does freeze right as it's sprayed on the car from a wand, lol.
I just hand wash mine, but beware of "touchless" washes, they're supposed to change expensive filter cartridges to filter out the sand and rocks but do you really think they do? Also they're required by law to "recycle" the wash water.....lol yeah I'm sure your filters are "good". Otherwise you're sandblasting the finish on your car.....

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
Just pick up a 2019 fk8 and wanted to keep it clean but something unforeseeable happened!!

The machine got caught on my rear spoiler and pulled my car back until the cloth broke off in my spoiler.

Damage is now a misaligned trunk.
Pics don’t do justice but the place has offered to pay to have a body shop realign it!

Beware of car washes catching your rear spoiler.
Cloth? I'm guessing it wasn't a touch free car wash. Touch free wash for me if I can't do it myself. Hope you get it fixed.
wow, noticed you are on long island too, where is the car wash? Thanks for the heads up. Generally hate car washes but sometimes there is no way around it. Guess I will just skip them all together now.
Yeah, never take a car you care about through a car wash like that. You don't know what filthy pos went through before you and you know they probably never clean those brushes. Also any scratches or damage is totally on you. Take the time to hand wash unless it's a beater.
Touchless car washes only. You found out why.
When I bought my Type R, I knew car wash tunnels were a No-Go.

There are so many areas where mechanical equipment from the washers can accidentally attach and pull panels off the car.
Don't take anything through a scratch o matic.
LEARNED MY LESSON THE HARD WAY!

Looks like hand wash and a nice detailer it is
NO Car wash !! hand wash only, or you WILL get Car wash swirl marks in your clear coat.

Hand car washing is therapeutic, very satisfying, you don't get the paint damaged, and it is a good time to go over the car's surfaces in detail, to find any areas that have got damaged, especially by road debris etc.

Admiring your hand detailed car, knowing you did it, is one of the many pleasures of owning a GenX Honda .
the paint on my Type R suck, AND i am assuming it sucks for everyone.
Do you self a favor, but a bucket, and shampoo, and do it yourself. You probably have quite a few scratches, that aren't apparent yet.
Handwash all my vehicles!!!!
You could always just use pressure washer and foam cannon without hand washing to get most of dirt/salt/grime off. It would take you probably 10 minutes tops. This would prevent swirls and its easy to do. I have simply pressure washed car without soap and that does the job as well, but if you use foam cannon and soap it would be even cleaner. Nothing like hand washing though. I ceramic coated my car and hand-wash every week but I live in south Florida so its nice to do it outside.
I am impressed the spoiler didn't break off or lift with that type of force pulling on it.
Touchless all the way.....poor R!!!
The Honda dealership wanted to run my CTR through their car wash after a maintenance visit and I asked them if they had washed a CTR before mine. Five minutes later a tech came over and said they have tried it before but it got stuck on the wing, so that was a no go from me.
...I'd stick to touchless automatic washes for this and make sure your windows are successfully defrosted.
I learned this the hard way also but thank god not with my type r
i had a mugen si i took through one of these and it just tore off my spoiler :(
I just hand wash mine, but beware of "touchless" washes, they're supposed to change expensive filter cartridges to filter out the sand and rocks but do you really think they do? Also they're required by law to "recycle" the wash water.....lol yeah I'm sure your filters are "good". Otherwise you're sandblasting the finish on your car.....
if this was widespread, Honda would issue a TSB - where's the TSB if this is as big of an issue as some claim? Where's the spike in business insurance claims for the damage?

It's unfortunate many folks have negative views of touch car washes based on old wives tales and conjecture. Any who believe a touch car wash will damage a vehicle's finish can go in and ask to see samples of the material used - it's not possible for dirt or grit to adhere to them due to the material they're made from and the physics of centrifugal force (same concept keeps dust from settling on HDD platters). As to car washes not swapping out filters for their water, where's the critical thinking - I wasn't aware business owners intentionally neglected customer facing equipment to ensure they open themselves up to costly litigation.

I've had my CTR for >5yrs and for the first two years, went through a touch car wash almost every day, and for the past 3 years, multiple times a week - the finish has never been damaged nor has the 1000+ washes ever resulted in damage to the spoiler or hatch. As to swirl marks, that's the purpose of waxing a car - a microfiber cloth will cause swirl marks, same as a sponge, so if it's swirl marks one is trying to avoid, not touching the clear coat at all is the only solution - for all others, wax a vehicle regularly as it's supposed to be.

Last edited:

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
if this was widespread, Honda would issue a TSB - where's the TSB if this is as big of an issue as some claim? Where's the spike in business insurance claims for the damage?

It's unfortunate many folks have negative views of touch car washes based on old wives tales and conjecture. Any who believe a touch car wash will damage a vehicle's finish can go in and ask to see samples of the material used - it's not possible for dirt or grit to adhere to them due to the material they're made from and the physics of centrifugal force (same concept keeps dust from settling on HDD platters). As to car washes not swapping out filters for their water, where's the critical thinking - I wasn't aware business owners intentionally neglected customer facing equipment to ensure they open themselves up to costly litigation.

I've had my CTR for >5yrs and for the first two years, went through a touch car wash almost every day, and for the past 3 years, multiple times a week - the finish has never been damaged nor has the 1000+ washes ever resulted in damage to the spoiler or hatch. As to swirl marks, that's the purpose of waxing a car - a microfiber cloth will cause swirl marks, same as a sponge, so if it's swirl marks one is trying to avoid, not touching the clear coat at all is the only solution - for all others, wax a vehicle regularly as it's supposed to be.
Nice write up but ceramic coating will starve off swirl marks for a few years if you use a quality one and take care of your paint. Foam cannon for 5 min then power wash it off drive it for 5 min and then use a quality drying towel or blower and get it dry then you good for another 2-4 days then repeat 10-15 min done

Honda Civic 10th gen Car Wash Warning!!! IMG_1015

Honda Civic 10th gen Car Wash Warning!!! 009B2745-9A35-4634-9EE1-6E2960363721

Honda Civic 10th gen Car Wash Warning!!! IMG_0893

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
@Ronny2019 Folks in this thread don't appear to be using ceramic coats - my point was touch car washes don't damage a vehicle's finish.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

You are making the assumption that everyone is experiencing the same conditions as you, and therefore there should be no issue.

As for “views,” again, most people have experienced damage vice trolling and fabricating stories.

I am glad you have had no issues after 1000+ washes - good for you 🍪

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
You are making the assumption that everyone is experiencing the same conditions as you, and therefore there should be no issue.

As for “views,” again, most people have experienced damage vice trolling and fabricating stories.

I am glad you have had no issues after 1000+ washes - good for you 🍪
I prefer to deal with facts over conjecture/opinions/anecdotal experiences, and if touch car washes were as big of a problem as you and others believe, they'd be a rarity. Folks vote with their feet after all, so touch car washes wouldn't exist if they damaged vehicles to the degree so many in this thread claim and seem to believe they do.
  • Touch car wash materials:
    if someone wants to understand how and why dirt and contaminants don't stick to touch car wash materials, all you need to do is go inside and ask an attendant to show you a sample and explain how it works - if someone doesn't want to do that simple due diligence, then don't opine about old wives tales and conjecture not rooted in fact or reality

• TSBs:
    if touch car washes damaging the spoiler was a regular occurrence, Honda would likely issue a TSB informing dealerships of such

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I prefer to deal with facts over conjecture/opinions/anecdotal experiences, and if touch car washes were as big of a problem as you and others believe, they'd be a rarity. Folks vote with their feet after all, so touch car washes wouldn't exist if they damaged vehicles to the degree so many in this thread claim and seem to believe they do.
    if someone wants to understand how and why dirt and contaminants don't stick to touch car wash materials, all you need to do is go inside and ask an attendant to show you a sample and explain how it works - if someone doesn't want to do that simple due diligence, then don't opine about old wives tales and conjecture not rooted in fact or reality

• TSBs:
    if touch car washes damaging the spoiler was a regular occurrence, Honda would likely issue a TSB informing dealerships of such
Then call everyone you quoted a liar and move on lol

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R

• TSBs:
If you check your ceramic warranty they pretty much void it if you use automated car wash.

Honda doesn't cover paint under the warranty so why would they issue a TSB?

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX

• TSBs:
All I need to know is that they recycle and "filter" their water. I don't care how good their filter system is, it's a hard pass for me. Not to mention the ArmourAll and wheel cleaning products that make their way into this water as well. They're not filtering water for use in a hospital.
A friend has an amazing home (in Canada) and are on well water. He installed tens of thousands of dollars in filtering and water treatment equipment. He has to change household appliances that use water every 4 to 5 years (washer, dishwasher, etc). He took apart the water pump from his washer and the gunk in it was incredible.
A very small percentage of car owners are fanatical about their respective care. So touchless washes are fine for the great majority of the population; that's why they continue to exist. But for the rare person that wants to keep their finish as new as possible for as long as possible, well, the answer is clear. People complaining about the state of their finish after using these places is not "old wive's tales". You are comfortable bringing your car to a touchless centre; good for you. Why can't you respect those of us that don't?

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
You are comfortable bringing your car to a touchless centre; good for you. Why can't you respect those of us that don't?
Exactly to each their own. If you want wash your car with an SOS pad go for it! For me touchless because I just don't trust high tech fabric slapping up against the paint on my car. In the summer I definitely hand wash, but my car isn't a show car anyway.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
You guys are too funny. An automated touchless car wash is less abrasive than just driving around in winter up here. Recycled water or not
Sponsored