car turns over but won't start?

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i searched and searched all morning but never found this. i had to call a guy who works on the line at a honda factory to find this.

this light is on under temp gauge.
maybe after battery disconnected.
car may say push brake to start.

use the key fob to push the start button and it will start.
then change your key fob battery.

Honda Civic 10th gen car turns over but won't start? 20190320_135734

Honda Civic 10th gen car turns over but won't start? 20190320_140546

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Si / 2013 Civic Sedan Si / 1998 Acura Integra Type R / 2001 MR2 Spyder / 2001 Honda Acty / 1992 Mazda AutoZam AZ1 / 1996 Daihatsu Midget II / 2010 Toyota Vitz(Yaris) / 1990 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint / 1997 Suzuki Cappuccino / 1999 Daihatsu Mira TR / 2004 Suzuki Swift Sport
Country flag
i searched and searched all morning but never found this. i had to call a guy who works on the line at a honda factory to find this.

this light is on under temp gauge.
maybe after battery disconnected.
car may say push brake to start.

use the key fob to push the start button and it will start.
then change your key fob battery.

20190320_135734.jpg

20190320_140546.jpg
I don't quite follow?

but I think we're having the exact same problem (my car won't start and also has that same warning light)

Are you saying that they told you to replace the fob battery and then try starting the car by pressing the fob against the start button?

or are you just saying that was what the TechLine told you to do, but the car still won't start?

Because I was told this exact same thing by the stealership, but my car still won't start.

OP
OP
caspar21

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i used the key fob with the dead battery to push the start button and it started.
the immobilizer light went out.
i made it home and replaced the dead fob battery.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
@3cyltrbo & @caspar21
Maybe I have come up with a solution.
Try this:
Without pressing your clutch or brake - Press your START BUTTION once and release for 2 seconds
Then push the START BUTTON again and hold it for approx 30sec

Then try and start the vehicle.

***This may be a system override***

Please report your findings?

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Si / 2013 Civic Sedan Si / 1998 Acura Integra Type R / 2001 MR2 Spyder / 2001 Honda Acty / 1992 Mazda AutoZam AZ1 / 1996 Daihatsu Midget II / 2010 Toyota Vitz(Yaris) / 1990 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint / 1997 Suzuki Cappuccino / 1999 Daihatsu Mira TR / 2004 Suzuki Swift Sport
Country flag
@3cyltrbo & @caspar21
Maybe I have come up with a solution.
Try this:
Without pressing your clutch or brake - Press your START BUTTION once and release for 2 seconds
Then push the START BUTTON again and hold it for approx 30sec

Then try and start the vehicle.

***This may be a system override***

Please report your findings?
tried exactly what you suggested

the engine light flashed and then disappeared / the car still cranks but doesn't fire / and now the car flashes an error about the key fob (basically that there isn't a key fob)

soooo, something changed - but not for the better.

Will

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't quite follow?

but I think we're having the exact same problem (my car won't start and also has that same warning light)

Are you saying that they told you to replace the fob battery and then try starting the car by pressing the fob against the start button?

or are you just saying that was what the TechLine told you to do, but the car still won't start?

Because I was told this exact same thing by the stealership, but my car still won't start.
what he means is that if your fob battery is dead, it will have to be in extreme close proximity to the start button for it to read the immobilizer. thats why they tell people to physically press the start button with the key fob

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
tried exactly what you suggested

the engine light flashed and then disappeared / the car still cranks but doesn't fire / and now the car flashes an error about the key fob (basically that there isn't a key fob)

soooo, something changed - but not for the better.

Will
Well, I am as much perplexed as you are.
Your FOB batteries are “fresh” yes?
And
You have put the FOB right up to the start button and tried to start it that way as well right?

BUT! At least the vehicle is now showing you a problem with the FOB. That is actually better than before. But, I am at my own wits end with electronic solutions at this point if those procedures have not turned out any more positive results. Sorry bout that....

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And
You have put the FOB right up to the start button and tried to start it that way as well right?

BUT! At least the vehicle is now showing you a problem with the FOB. That is actually better than before. But, I am at my own wits end with electronic solutions at this point if those procedures have not turned out any more positive results. Sorry bout that....
again, the car isn't even only 1year old and the fobs have been indoors all winter hanging on a peg.....

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
again, the car isn't even only 1year old and the fobs have been indoors all winter hanging on a peg.....
You have only had the FOBs for under a year; how long were they in the FOBs before you even purchased the car? And how opd was that set of batteries before they were even installed? Exactly.
Batteries fade at ungodly times - there is no exact “life span”.
Now take the leap forward and get new batteries and try again. The vehicle is now telling you that there is a FOB issue. Now time like the present....

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And

any idea how to get the car to recognize the fob again?

because now I'm kinda 2 steps back

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Last edited:

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have only had the FOBs for under a year; how long were they in the FOBs before you even purchased the car? And how opd was that set of batteries before they were even installed? Exactly.
Batteries fade at ungodly times - there is no exact “life span”.
Now take the leap forward and get new batteries and try again. The vehicle is now telling you that there is a FOB issue. Now time like the present....
the car was only built less than 9 months ago, I assume the fobs weren't much older

OP
OP
caspar21

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
the car was only built less than 9 months ago, I assume the fobs weren't much older
my friend that works quality control at honda says that the fobs are sometimes dying before they leave the line and others are dying within a few months of being stored at the factory.
i have read in my travels that people are seeing average 1 year life expectancy for fob batteries.
they do not last that long as these are active fobs. not like older ones that only do something when you hit a button on it, these are constantly sending out a signal and listening for a reply(or something like that).

mine first fob died at 7 months old aprox. the second one is still going strong.

if it doesn't recognize the fob when you put it to the start button then maybe the fob failed. try the second fob.

if second is missing in action then tow it to honda and let them link a new fob to it.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
they do not last that long as these are active fobs. not like older ones that only do something when you hit a button on it, these are constantly sending out a signal and listening for a reply(or something like that).
yeah, my fob died in under a year. but i keep a couple of the batteries in my car. that is correct with the fob trying to constantly trying to send/receive a signal to the car, unfortunalty though that is how theives are stealing new cars now. all they use is a receiver that picks up the signal and they can easily walk up to the car unlock and drive away.

3cyltrbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And

where did you get your info from? (the press for 2secs then press and hold for 30secs) ?

Now I need to try and figure out how to pair that keyfob back to the car, otherwise I now have more problems than I did when this all started.
Sponsored