OP
Swey

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 chevrolet silverado custom dbl cab
Country flag
Changed out my thermostat today, all issues are gone and car warms up properly, temp doesn't drop during idle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Swey

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, For reference, the updated recall fix for the oil dilution, they are no longer replacing the A/C control module and are only reprogramming the BCM (body control module).

If you already had the recall done, there is no point in going back for it as the software versions are the same.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From my reading it seems the problem stems from the time it takes the engine to reach normal operating temperature. I observed from the start of winter it takes this car longer to warm up than any car I’ve had in the past. Thought it was weird for such a small motor. I do check my oil every so often and have not seen any rise in the level ever.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
From my reading it seems the problem stems from the time it takes the engine to reach normal operating temperature. I observed from the start of winter it takes this car longer to warm up than any car I’ve had in the past. Thought it was weird for such a small motor. I do check my oil every so often and have not seen any rise in the level ever.
Funny ! To me my Civic take shorter time to warm up than our all previous car in the family.
Temperature digit is not there and I feel warm air in vent after 5 minutes driving in city speed at 5 F

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Time to sell the Honda and get something nice. 2019 Audi RS5 seem like a good replacement ;)
My dream car (in the $100k lol) I would buy today.

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
My temp is all over the place. If anything it gets blistering hot even when it is set in the 60's? If I bounce down to lo and back up again it seems to right itself...

I live in NH and haven't been notified of the oil dilution TSB as of yet...wasn't there a memo about cold weather owners being notified?

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
They're reprogramming the BCM? :spaz:Really?

I just had the service done this week, dealer wasn't very clear on what exactly was done.

But next week I'm scheduled to get the BCM replaced because of the door proximity sensor issue that causes auto unlock to not work.

I wonder if the dealer knows they'll have to reprogram the new BCM, if that is the problem.

This is great drama :D

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Changed out my thermostat today, all issues are gone and car warms up properly, temp doesn't drop during idle.
Is this a DIY'able job?

I had the service recall done and it warms up marginally faster. Granted this is Canadian polar vortex winter weather at -20 Celsius average.

YEGFK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport Touring Hatch
Country flag
I've been having a similar issue, with my vehicle taking 30-40 mins of continuous driving to get fully warm, and that's WITH my using a block heater. If I so much as idle at a stoplight the thermostat drops immediately. That being said I had the work done right before two straight weeks of -25 C weather. It's supposed to warm up in the next couple of days so I'll see if there's any difference, if not I may get in touch with the dealer.

OP
OP
Swey

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is this a DIY'able job?

I had the service recall done and it warms up marginally faster. Granted this is Canadian polar vortex winter weather at -20 Celsius average.
It's pretty easy if you have a decent set of tools, basic stuff really. It's easy to make a huge mess, but since i work at a car dealer, I just borrowed a lift after work, threw my car up in the air and drained my system then took the two bolts out of my thermostat and went at it. Took me a lot longer than I would have liked because i had to find a good way to work around tight spaces to get everything out, but yes to answer your question it's very easy and straight forward. I would definitely suggest referencing something online just to make sure you do everything correctly.

OP
OP
Swey

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been having a similar issue, with my vehicle taking 30-40 mins of continuous driving to get fully warm, and that's WITH my using a block heater. If I so much as idle at a stoplight the thermostat drops immediately. That being said I had the work done right before two straight weeks of -25 C weather. It's supposed to warm up in the next couple of days so I'll see if there's any difference, if not I may get in touch with the dealer.
I'd definitely ask them about that if you're still having issues.

Also do keep in mind that while the thermostat may look good (after putting it in a boiling bowl of water) It seems to function properly, but I'm pretty sure it's opening prematurely which also causes the car to cool down too soon.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Funny ! To me my Civic take shorter time to warm up than our all previous car in the family.
Temperature digit is not there and I feel warm air in vent after 5 minutes driving in city speed at 5 F
Same for me, except for the Mazda3 but that engine has very high compression and is designed to warm up fast.
It seems to be a problem for the CVT cars mostly.
Never had it drop temperature on idle even in 20 degrees below freezing.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
When i get back from work, i have a 40km drive where for maybe 30-60 sec i don’t even have to touch the gas since im going downhill. In that situation, when it’s really cold -15 degre celcius or less i see the engine temperature indicator going down quickly. It start going up again once i start to reaccelerate. I noticed it only since a couple of week but i don’t know if this situation was present before the recall too.
Not sure it is a real issue but i must say it is the first time i see that on a car.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
When i get back from work, i have a 40km drive where for maybe 30-60 sec i don’t even have to touch the gas since im going downhill. In that situation, when it’s really cold -15 degre celcius or less i see the engine temperature indicator going down quickly. It start going up again once i start to reaccelerate. I noticed it only since a couple of week but i don’t know if this situation was present before the recall too.
Not sure it is a real issue but i must say it is the first time i see that on a car.
Going downhill with no throttle input seems to be the ultimate test. Feeding cold air with little combustion.
Surely beats stopping at a stoplight for a minute of two.
Maybe i not that abnormal, being a small engine that needs to cool down a turbo...Could be hard to find a happy medium between the ability to cool in summer and not letting it cool down too much in the winter, for a relatively cheap car...
Sponsored