Car taking forever to "warm up" after oil dilution TSB

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 chevrolet silverado custom dbl cab
Country flag
Over the last two weeks with cold weather and all my car has been taking considerably long to heat up. Even in the mid 20s I've had to drive for over 20 minutes to see the temp guage even show up. I've already been through the new recall and verfiied with my local dealer and service advisor that the service was properly performed. After the TSB for oil dilution, I've found that my car still takes just as long, if not longer to heat up and get to "normal" operating temps.

My theory is that the thermostat may possibly be stuck open, and preventing the engine from heating up properly... But i've yet had a chance to confirm this. I'm past the 60k mile warranty period and I'm still seeing oil dilution in my vehicle.

I took my car into the dealer 2 days ago after work in the evening and they confirmed that my oil level is a little over a quarter inch above the second line on the dipstick and performed a free oil change. They looked pretty puzzled and concerned.
Sponsored

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Time to sell the Honda and get something nice. 2019 Audi RS5 seem like a good replacement ;)

elmer255

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
ON the coldest day of the year so far ( 0 degrees) I left work the other day and couldn't get heat- the temp gauge came up and I started to get some, then it went back to cold and I lost heat. Going back to the dealer on Tuesday

OP
OP
Swey

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ON the coldest day of the year so far ( 0 degrees) I left work the other day and couldn't get heat- the temp gauge came up and I started to get some, then it went back to cold and I lost heat. Going back to the dealer on Tuesday
Let me know what they say, and this happens to me in the 20s as well

civictrooper

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s weird have them check it out mines warms up pretty quick an it been cold as hell in ct takes me 15 mins to get to work half way there it’s already warm up I wait to my rpms drop to one an just drive

elmer255

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I picked the car up today- they told me Honda came out with another update to the software and they flashed it into the car. I have to say the car warmed up MUCH quicker and stayed right on. After the original TSB was done last week, it would warm very slowly the cool down and I'd lose heat- the temp gauge was all over- so far today it gets to operating temp and stays there

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if it's something to do with the coolant thermostat like it was on older cars?

elmer255

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wonder if it's something to do with the coolant thermostat like it was on older cars?
It was behaving very much like a sticky thermostat in some of the older cars I’ve owned - but so far it looks like the second reflash fixed it

OP
OP
Swey

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I picked the car up today- they told me Honda came out with another update to the software and they flashed it into the car. I have to say the car warmed up MUCH quicker and stayed right on. After the original TSB was done last week, it would warm very slowly the cool down and I'd lose heat- the temp gauge was all over- so far today it gets to operating temp and stays there
There's another update for oil dilution??

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I don't see how the oil dilution is going to be solved by a software update. The actual cause is the design itself. Also you are reporting an increased level which makes you question if it even works.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Please can you post some information about that 2nd Update. Maybe a copy of the Dealer's Bill indicating what the reference name to the update is ? TSB ??

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
[QUOTE="Swey, post: 552242, member: 4841"b
I took my car into the dealer 2 days ago after work in the evening and they confirmed that my oil level is a little over a quarter inch above the second line on the dipstick and performed a free oil change. They looked pretty puzzled and concerned.[/QUOTE]

Oil change to fix heating issue ! It is a joke

OP
OP
Swey

Swey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
[QUOTE="Swey, post: 552242, member: 4841"b
I took my car into the dealer 2 days ago after work in the evening and they confirmed that my oil level is a little over a quarter inch above the second line on the dipstick and performed a free oil change. They looked pretty puzzled and concerned.

Oil change to fix heating issue ! It is a joke[/QUOTE]
I can kind of agree with this, but this whole oil dilution "fix" they released doesn't actually address the issue and seems to mainly be a ploy to get people to stop complaining.
Sponsored