Car stuck on Software Update

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Now that I think about it, since you're rooted, USB Debugging should be enabled. If you hook up your laptop to the head unit via the car's USB port, maybe you can use the command prompt on your laptop to issue ADB commands? If so, then you should be able to reboot the head unit and get it to load the OS like normal.
Sponsored

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I can reboot it, at least by selecting the option in recovery. The back and menu button are up/down and home selects. Pulled the fuse even though I know that won't do anything. I mean if you get stuck like this on a phone pulling the battery never helped me. I've rooted all my Android phones since my first one (forget what it was but was around the time of the HTC hero because I remember my wife had that) and I rooted my S2, my Optimus S and G, Evo, etc and only problems I couldn't solve was the Optimus G forgot who it was and I had never run the script to back up that info since it was a common thing happening to those phones and I didn't pay enough attention to the forums, missed that part and just kept flashing away. That and eventually my S2 bricked but I think it was hardware because the error screen was an Android bot pointing at a chip with an exclamation point... Hope I can get this solved but like I said the trip is soon and my time really isn't available for dealing with this...

btonetbone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
I can reboot it, at least by selecting the option in recovery. The back and menu button are up/down and home selects. Pulled the fuse even though I know that won't do anything. I mean if you get stuck like this on a phone pulling the battery never helped me. I've rooted all my Android phones since my first one (forget what it was but was around the time of the HTC hero because I remember my wife had that) and I rooted my S2, my Optimus S and G, Evo, etc and only problems I couldn't solve was the Optimus G forgot who it was and I had never run the script to back up that info since it was a common thing happening to those phones and I didn't pay enough attention to the forums, missed that part and just kept flashing away. That and eventually my S2 bricked but I think it was hardware because the error screen was an Android bot pointing at a chip with an exclamation point... Hope I can get this solved but like I said the trip is soon and my time really isn't available for dealing with this...
Here are a few things to try:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76239467&postcount=1152

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76239781&postcount=1153

Good luck!

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Ok, so I don't know if it just didn't work for the OP or if he didn't take the advice. Maybe just didn't wait long enough but I pulled the fuse and left it out for 2 drive cycles over the span of maybe 1-1.5 hrs. got home, shut car off, reinserted fuse in, got in and turned car on and got the H and thought it stuck there but it then went to the pop up about locating gps signal, then the drivers responsibility pop up then BOOM, WORKS!!!!

Last edited:

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
This is what worked for me: When prompted with the system update screen, select the "update from adb" option and let it sit for a few minutes and it will restart bringing you to the "H" symbol.

fullservice98

First Name
fullservice98
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FK8) and S2K (AP2)
Country flag
Took the radio fuse out for a little over 10 min then replaced. It worked! No dealer involved, thanks!

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Find the radio fuse and pull it for 10min
Worked for me! (More like 1/2 hour but still, it worked) - Pull fuse #19 - a 15A fuse for Audio, in the engine compartment fuse box.

CapnCarl

I'm fly, I'm pilot
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
This just happened to me on a car I've had less than a week (2018 sport touring).

The bluetooth was skipping so I rebooted the radio (power for a few second, reboot) and then it came up with the software update screen.

Update over ADB just sent it to a blank screen for 15 minutes. I pulled the fuse and waited 10 minutes and that did the trick. (I was mad for a minute when it was asking for a code after booting, but turning the car off and back on made that screen go away)

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Turned off engine. Pulled fuse, counted to 20. Replaced fuse. Started car. Saw honda logo for a minute or three. Back to normal.

Phew

Justintime37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
Dumb question. I remove the fuse with the car off. The. It stays off for the 10 minutes or should I run the car? Or does it not matter

Justintime37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
So follow up. I turned off the car for 20 minutes. Fuse in and it booted fine. Crazy though

fullservice98

First Name
fullservice98
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R (FK8) and S2K (AP2)
Country flag
Dumb question. I remove the fuse with the car off. The. It stays off for the 10 minutes or should I run the car? Or does it not matter
Turn the car off, pull the fuse and walk away. I kept the fuse out for 30 min just to make sure. Worked just fine after that! Good luck!

ViKeToR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th Hatchback
Country flag
I restarted a few times, but it didn't work.
Just waiting for 15min in traffic patiently with the "software update" screen and it started correctly by itself.

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
Same problem here.
Let the car run without toching the screen for 30 minutes. The system will go back to the "normal" screen.
Sponsored