Car rolls forward while in gear...

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Just finished installing front and rear brake pads and after burnishing them, I backed the car up into my driveway which has a little bit of an incline. I put the car in 1st and didn't set the parking brake. After shutting the car off I noticed every 3-5 seconds the car would slowly roll forward a couple inches and then stop like it was locking into place. It would continue to inch it's way down the driveway every 3-5 seconds if I let it. I put the car in reverse and it did the same thing. I always use the parking brake on an incline so I've never experienced this before. Is this normal or do I have a problem Houston?
Sponsored

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
If it's in gear it shouldn't move at all

OP
OP
Deadgame

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
If it's in gear it shouldn't move at all

Wondering if it's a low compression, a transmission or clutch issue. Clutch seems ok. Only complaint would be I've heard a weird vibrating noise near the clutch pedal occasionally when getting on it and quickly shifting through the gears (normally between 3rd to 4th). The noise only happens when I'm letting the clutch out and is gone in a second. I'm at 30K miles and it's been happening for quite awhile. I've never took it in because it doesn't happen often enough to reproduce all the time or effect performance. Other than that, everything seems fine. Just wondering if the dealer is going to give me shit since I'm FBO.

Last edited:

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
The cam angles default in such a way to relieve startup and shut down pumping loses. Easy on the starter among other reasons.

So yes technically it is low on compression

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deadgame

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
The cam angles default in such a way to relieve startup and shut down pumping loses. Easy on the starter among other reasons.

So yes technically it is low on compression
So are saying this is just how the car is manufactured, or mine specially has low compression?

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
The car would have to have almost no compression to allow that. I would imagine it's a problem in the clutch master cylinder not fully disengaging pressure, worn clutch, or problem with the throwout bearing binding on the out put shaft/pressure plate. You should still be under the bumper to bumper warranty. At least get a diagnosis from the dealer. I know they don't cover the clutch.

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Funny enough I tried this over the last weekend on my sloaping drive and it moved as you described in both 1st and rev gears. The clutch does not slip and I was surprised the car moved. I have 10.5k miles on mine.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
So are saying this is just how the car is manufactured, or mine specially has low compression?
That is a function of these cars. I have never "tested" my si to see if this would occur but yes I would say its normal if on a decent size decline or incline (say over 5-7 degrees) without the emergency brake being set.

Of course I have to say that you should have it looked at if you think its a safety concern of any kind.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
If other people are experiencing the same thing on a inclined it's normal I'm pretty sure usually I just leave it in netural and e break, so I can say if it happens to me to. What onesickfk8 posted makes alot of sense.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think it's not normal. Looking at the entire drivetrain, let's look at the possible places where slippage might happen.

1. Axle...nope. Otherwise it would be broken.
2. Transmission. Could it have not been fully engaged in a gear? If it was properly engaged and functions and drives normally, I don't see how it can slip. Any defect such a broken teeth that would let it slip would also mean it would show up during driving.
3. Clutch. This is the most suspicious. It is designed to slip and it will slip if it's worn out or if you adjusted your clutch rod with a bit too much preload.
4. Engine. It's super, highly unlikely that a mild hill will crank the engine in first because the leverage is going the wrong way. That is, it's easier to push-crank the engine from the wheels in sixth gear and much harder in first gear. So is there any chance you were putting it in third or sixth?

Any chance of a video showing us how it happens?

OP
OP
Deadgame

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
I’ll take a video tomorrow. It was in 1st or R depending on if I was backing in or pulling the driveway when rolling. Today, I parked the car on the side of my street that has less of an incline than my driveway. It held and wouldn’t roll (had enough of a slope to roll in neutral though). Maybe the driveway incline was too steep. I’ll measure that tomorrow as well.

fg2kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1991 Civic DX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tested this in the Si today. On my somewhat steep driveway, the car will roll when parked in gear. You can actually feel that the compression of the engine isn't enough to hold it in place.
Sponsored