Car and Driver Lightning lap issue out. My take away from article.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Car and Driver Lightning lap issue out. My take away from article. WIN_20181002_11_22_33_Pro
Honda Civic 10th gen Car and Driver Lightning lap issue out. My take away from article. WIN_20181002_11_21_56_Pro

First let me say I am a car person who really does not know the details and vernacular of the industry i just like cars and to drive with out concerning my self with the details of how or why they are so awesome.

I live in an area of the country that does not see exotics and is very much a domestic car kind of town. People here are all about American muscle. So for my 2 cents on the complete awesomeness of the R I will focus on the Type R and the Only 2 domestics to beat it. Not counting the supercar exotics.

I find it interesting that a car that bests the Type R by almost 500 HP could only beat the Type R over a 4.1 mile course by 2.9 seconds. And the only other domestic to beat it was a Mustang with a 20k performance package and still only then beat it by 8.8 seconds over a 4.1 mile course. so what some loose math thats around 2 seconds a mile for the ford and 2/3 a second for the hell cat per mile faster? All that HP and Money and bolt ones and thats the best they can do against a 34k import honda?

The type R got to a top speed of 115 in the straight aways while the hellcat did 124.6 and the ford 143.9, easily beating the type r in speed, so why such a close over all on the lap time? My take away. The domestics are made to go fast quick in a straight line. the Cars simply cant handle curves or a track. And considering the real world have curves why spend so much money on cars that can barely beat a car with 1/3 the h/p half the cylnders and 13 the price tag?

Bottom line Honda made a freakin awesome car that even those with deep pockets are having a hard time beating. I mean the only cars that can beat it with any large margin are the 300k super cars. even all the older magazine covers that had the type R on them last year all had the Type R with supercars as company.

We just have one of the best affordable everyday mans cars there is. That is my opinion and im sticking to it.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Hellcat (and Demon) is a one trick pony whose goal is the 1/4 mile. Simple. And it does it quite well.

The Mustang. 8.8 seconds/lap faster than the CTR is an eternity when it comes to a track lap. Especially as you watch it pull away.

Is the CTR a perfromance bargain? yes.. but so is the Mustang. I don't have the issue to read all the numbers, but I bet the Mustang is pretty darn good performance/$$ vs those costing 10's of thousands more!

What I've come to notice is that well set up cars will have very similar cornering speeds.. then they use HP to get away. That's what makes Miata's both so much fun (great corning speeds) and boring (no straightaway speed). My guess in this test is that the CTR and Mustang have similar cornerning ability, but the Mustangs additional HP means .. mmm 140+mph trap speed vs the CTZR's 115mph trap speed.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
In terms of fun, the takeaway is that this car is bonkers fun.

In terms of speed vs price, I think it's the fastest car ever tested at lightning lap under 37.9k.

The 2013 Camaro ZL1 cost 37.93k and got just under 3 min. With inflation, it would be over 40k today though. So really the CTR is I think the fastest under 40k. Someone should check my numbers though.

Last edited:

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They also mentioned that it basically JUST breached the price point for LL1 which is for their cheapest car class. And some pointed out that if they had one for 2017 Lightning Laps it would've made it in LL1(MSRP was slightly higher for 2018). So unfortunately that is how that stood.

Performance/dollars the super pony cars are pretty hard to beat. Aside from the FCA offering both Ford and GM now are making honest to goodness track capable stock muscle cars. They just don't do the practical thing as well...if you can live with them day to day they are good buy. I need my car to do everything so I am in the CTR...
Sponsored