Can't Enable ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)

DeKay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic EX. On odd occasions, I'll have a problem where I have cruise in ACC mode (I can see the four bars on the dash display) but when I hit SET at highway speed, it just beeps at me and says "ACC off". The video below shows the problem in action. Notes:
- I had been driving some distance along a gravel road in regular cruise mode. I passed through a small town at which time I turned the cruise control completely off. Then I hit the highway, turned cruise back on, and then long pressed the Follow Distance button to get into ACC mode.
- weather was clear
- no error messages about the sensor or anything
- have had the firmware updated at Honda a couple times, the last time a few months ago
- system works normally about nine times out of 10
- yes, I know the system shuts itself off if it doesn't see any cars for ten minutes. But that isn't the case here, and I repeatedly try to turn it on and it just shuts itself back off
- switching back over to regular cruise works fine. Switching back to ACC doesn't work.
- if I come to a full stop and then start driving again, I'm able to get it working. Sometimes it requires turning the ignition off and re-starting the vehicle.
- I seem to see the problem in the mornings when I start my commute on the gravel road in normal cruise mode and then hit the highway switching over to ACC. I don't seem to have the problem in the evenings when I leave work, go through the city a bit, and then hit the highway.
- I do a lot of highway driving and use the system all the time... when it works.

I have another service appointment on Thursday, but thought I'd take a shot to see if anybody else has had this problem before. Anyone???

Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Have you tried unplugging the battery and plugging it back it after a few seconds?