Can't clear maintenance code 0 for oil change?

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Well, this is the last time I go to the dealership I purchased my car at for service after other issues of them leaving some sort of grease all over the passenger side front fender and my steering wheel, and then this:

3 codes come up

0 for oil change
(can't remember number) for both engine and cabin filters
(can't remember number) for brake fluid change

They told me I am due for service 9 as my brakes need to be serviced... I just had this done @ 20,000KM and they want me to do it again @ 40,000KM. Definitely not happening, nor was the service code coming up in my car.

They told me if I don't do it that day that it would most likely void my warranty. I told them I did the filters myself and just do the other 2 services my car is showing.

So I did them, get the car back and all 3 service codes were still there so I went back in and they sent out a tech to clear the codes. 3 weeks later I still can't get code 0 to clear.

Has anyone had this happen?
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Doesn't some code always just sit there? It's basically just predicting the next service, and it will change and adjust itself with time/mileage. As long as your MM is/was reset to 100%? I think that's how it works...

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you don't have a maintenance message pop up when you start the car then it's been reset properly. The maintenance code is always shown in the maintenance screen. It shows you what services are required at your next maintenance.

OP
OP

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Yea? Cause I cleared the other 2 no problem and they went away.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure on previous oil changes the code would be gone...

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My "0" never goes away, but all others do. Oil life goes back to 100% so it does reset.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The "0" just means that's what your next service will be.
I had "09" (Oil change and brake service) done last week and after the reset "0" is showing with oil life at 100%. When the oil life gets back down to 15% then you need to do the "0" service which is just an oil change.

As for the dealership telling you to do other services that are not on the Maintenance Minder, ignore them and/or go to a different dealership if possible. One dealership tried to get me to do the Brake Service (Service 9) since 10000km/6 months but it ended up popping up on my maintenance minder at 25000km/20 months. They never threatened me with "it'll void your warranty" though which is simply not true.
I e-mailed Honda Canada and they said as long as you follow the MM you're good!

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Yes, but the ‘0’ should disappear as well, until the oil life hits around 20%. I needed a rear brake service done within the first year. Haven’t needed one since, though... Only at 36k kms.
Sponsored