Cancer on interior plastics

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
So that’s what that weird residue was. I used Griott’s interior cleaner, a soft cloth, and a good bit of elbow grease to get it off although I did miss some areas that I’ve been needing to go back over. OP, the service department scratched up my center and steering column plastics installing my wireless phone charger, too. The Griott’s took most of it off.
Sponsored

Artagra

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Sonic Gray, 2017 Toyota RAV4
Country flag
I had similar hazing on mine after getting it back from the body shop. I used Kirkland brand clean wipes and it cleaned right off with a bit of elbow grease. I guess I got lucky. The shop also said they don't use chemical based cleaners...HA, that's BS.

ziludood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2021 Tesla MYP, 2008 BMW 335i
Country flag
Hearing stories like this is why I never ever take my car to the dealer or anywhere to get work done. Took my old bmer to a 'reputable' shop to get tints and the person ended up prying out the adhesive holding the rear window in place and scratched the shit out of rear center console because he was wearing jeans with metal bits. Buddy had subs put in his ex hatch and they did a piss poor job of putting the panels back on. Uneven gaps everywhere. DIY is the way to go. Thank god Honda made everything easily serviceable.

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
its possible its residue from outgassing from the plastics in the interior.

when i worked at honda the accords had this issue and it gets all over the glass inside the car and plastics. the tsb told us to use water and vinegar to wash it off lol

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
its possible its residue from outgassing from the plastics in the interior.

when i worked at honda the accords had this issue and it gets all over the glass inside the car and plastics. the tsb told us to use water and vinegar to wash it off lol
Out gassing doesn't do this like what was shown. This would be an improper cleaning agent or something not related to the film.

Acetone does this to plastic but if it's being "wiped" off in any form, then it's just glue. OP posted something that looks like acetone on plastic, not just something that wipes off. As acetone is a common paint thinner, I wouldn't doubt if people use rags at body shops that came in contact with it..to clean the inside and exterior.

If it comes off (cleans up), its not the plastic. Glue from film or elsewhere should come off, ...acetone (thinners), will ruin plastic permanently.
Sponsored