Cancelling Honda Plus Warranty in Canada

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 7 year/200,000 km extended Honda Plus warranty through London Honda on my Civic touring.

I'm going to be trading the car in and taking delivery of a different car within the next week or so. I paid quite a bit for it with my financing and I would like to get it cancelled, so I have a couple of questions if anybody has had experience with this.

1) It's been 6 months since i got the warranty with the car. I know they call for 60 days 100% refund, and after that it's pro-rated. I know Honda charges $25 admin fee, but what percentage do they take off if I had 25,000 km? If I recall correctly without digging up my bill of sale, I paid around $2,000, give or take.

2) Since I purchased the warranty with the car and got it added to my financing, if I were to trade in my car before they (officially) cancel the warranty (since I know the process takes 1-2 months), would I just get a cheque in the mail for the refund?

3) Can I cancel at ANY honda dealership, or do I have to go back to my original dealership where I bought the car from?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
don't quote me on this, but I think if you rolled Honda Plus into your financing, and are after the 60 day period, then the "refund" is not issued to you in cash - instead it's applied towards the back end of the loan.

mymagsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
I have a 7 year/200,000 km extended Honda Plus warranty through London Honda on my Civic touring.

I'm going to be trading the car in and taking delivery of a different car within the next week or so. I paid quite a bit for it with my financing and I would like to get it cancelled, so I have a couple of questions if anybody has had experience with this.

1) It's been 6 months since i got the warranty with the car. I know they call for 60 days 100% refund, and after that it's pro-rated. I know Honda charges $25 admin fee, but what percentage do they take off if I had 25,000 km? If I recall correctly without digging up my bill of sale, I paid around $2,000, give or take.

2) Since I purchased the warranty with the car and got it added to my financing, if I were to trade in my car before they (officially) cancel the warranty (since I know the process takes 1-2 months), would I just get a cheque in the mail for the refund?

3) Can I cancel at ANY honda dealership, or do I have to go back to my original dealership where I bought the car from?

Thanks guys!
Hey I have a question i am going through the same situation I was wondering if you can provide me with any tips because I called Honda and they said it not possible to cancel the warranty! Thanks anything would be helpful

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a solution
Ya, find your contract and read what it says and if it is in fact prorated, take that paper in and show them. Whatever the contract of the warranty says kind of thing. I don't really know though because I didn't get a warranty.

mymagsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Ya, find your contract and read what it says and if it is in fact prorated, take that paper in and show them. Whatever the contract of the warranty says kind of thing. I don't really know though because I didn't get a warranty.
It says I can't cancel it past 60 days and it's been 7 months and my warranty is still for 100k more or 3 more years

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
It says I can't cancel it past 60 days and it's been 7 months and my warranty is still for 100k more or 3 more years
Then your stuck with it. Not a big deal if you ask me.. what's the issue?

OP
OP
Deleted User 1886347

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@NorthernEX-T I haven't cancelled the warranty yet but I did find out that after the 60 days of ownership, it is pro rated. Didn't bother figuring out the amount I'd get back on my financing but I decided to keep it for now since my mileage is racking up like crazy and decided to keep the car till it dies... already at 31,000 km since end of April.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
@NorthernEX-T I haven't cancelled the warranty yet but I did find out that after the 60 days of ownership, it is pro rated. Didn't bother figuring out the amount I'd get back on my financing but I decided to keep it for now since my mileage is racking up like crazy and decided to keep the car till it dies... already at 31,000 km since end of April.
Damon son, catching up to me! I'm just under 33kms!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic2016 LX 2.0l Automatic
Country flag

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

Hi,

I am also in the same boat. Purchased this Honda Civic 2016 LX CVT last Labour day long weekend from Meadowvale (Worse dealership ever) and the sales person was really aggressive in his sales skills and somehow made me sign up for some useless add ons which I didn't need. I signed up for 200,000 Kms 7yr extended warranty, Rust, Paint, Fabric and Anti Theft Protection plans!!

I don't know why I agreed on these. First I thought these will help protect my car for years, but after few bad customer experiences with the dealership, it looks like its totally bulls**t. I feel like I got screwed over. I opened up my eyes now a year later and think I should cancel all these things and get my refund.

I went to the dealership and the sales person and the finance person who sold me the car were simply denying for cancelling anything and acting very rudely and unprofessionally. Has anyone experienced the same thing at this dealership or any other ?? I have been there a few times and every time they made up excuses. I am really pissed off and wanting to file a claim in consumer court.

Has anyone gone on this path and won the case? Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks,

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Read the actual paperwork. If you bought the actual Honda extended warranty it can be cancelled within 30 days.

If you bought dealer add-ons, then you're looking at a fight.
Sponsored