[Canadians] Who put a deposit down for Type-R?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Thanks for that - I would definitely go for that just to remove the anxiety of driving on those ribbons with no spare.

Any owner should find out in advance what dealers in their area have the proper tire machinery for the CTR before they hit the road. I asked at a big Toronto area dealer, and the service manager claimed he'd have to "check" (ROTFL - translation: "no have here") - he said he's seen the service memo about the need for it.
Acura dealers have to have the machines. Expect to pay a LOT. Myself, I'll go to my local performance tire dealer. He has a (European) touchless machine - one that isn't distributed and serviced in every single town and village in North America like the Honda-recommended Hunter machines are, and one that requires actual training, ability, and skill to use. (The Hunter Revolution is actually advertised as "so easy to use an 8-year-old can do it.")
Sponsored

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
Acura dealers have to have the machines. Expect to pay a LOT. Myself, I'll go to my local performance tire dealer. He has a (European) touchless machine - one that isn't distributed and serviced in every single town and village in North America like the Honda-recommended Hunter machines are, and one that requires actual training, ability, and skill to use. (The Hunter Revolution is actually advertised as "so easy to use an 8-year-old can do it.")
I'd want to cross-check that the machine any tire dealer uses is actually verified to work with a 20" 245/30-series tire and I'd want a written guarantee - given the level of honesty in the car biz, taking a dealer at their word may be an expensive mistake....

A machine being easy to use is not necessarily a negative - there's less chance for human error to be introduced if the process is more automated.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
From this it seems Honda is only charging a standard "one price fits all" rate for its insurance, which makes it a bit of a bargain for CTR owners. The CTR's tires and rims are both considerably more expensive than an average Honda's, and are almost certainly more likely to be damaged by pot holes etc. due to the tires' very minimal sidewalls. If the insurance rates were specific to the model, they'd probably be close to double what's stated here.

Other pluses: coverage while in the US, and winter tire and rim coverage. At less than $100 a year for 8 years, it looks like a great deal for those planning on long-term ownership (provided there are no onerous fine-print restrictions not mentioned on Honda's site).

Last edited:

Vteclover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 civic si
Country flag
Have a question for you all, remember back in the day when your starter doesn't crank do to low battery level and the cold weather, so back in the day you can push start the car, I just wondering if you still can do that with push start button system

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Wondering how many Canadians on this forum have picked up or seen a 2018 CTR. See a fair number of reports of them South of the border but it seems to be quieter up her. I suppose some of that could have to do with our winter. Going down to -28C tonight here.

bbqman

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ITR,CTR,996 GT3,EVO X GSR, M3,Ek SIR,EP3 SIR,S2K,Micra Cup
haven't seen anything on the locals forums...but I know my dealer has one ready to go.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
^ Thanks guys. Good to see some signs of life North of the border no mater how cold it is right now.
Talking about 2018 - Happy New Year everyone :beer:
Sponsored