[Canadians] Who put a deposit down for Type-R?

1320it

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Country flag
Who put a deposit down for a Type R? I will on Monday :)
Sponsored

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
Made deposit a month ago as well.
They said I am 5th in line :(
Holy. Well, the Honda scene is alive and well in on the west coast.. Can't wait to see what the Richmond kids do to these with all the old money.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
your dealer cant actually take a deposit until 60 days before the vehicle is available and the Si and Type R are not in the order banks yet. Do you have a contractual agreement tied to a VIN with a proposed delivery date? Its not like your dealer is going to close up shop and run with your money, but deposits are not a good faith protocol. I hope you guys didn't put down more than $1k lol. I'm thinking your dealer just pulled a hook line and sinker move... (unless you do have a contract with VIN somehow).

I planned to reserve an Si but now considering a Type R.

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
your dealer cant actually take a deposit until 60 days before the vehicle is available and the Si and Type R are not in the order banks yet. Do you have a contractual agreement tied to a VIN with a proposed delivery date? Its not like your dealer is going to close up shop and run with your money, but deposits are not a good faith protocol. I hope you guys didn't put down more than $1k lol. I'm thinking your dealer just pulled a hook line and sinker move... (unless you do have a contract with VIN somehow).

i might have read that wrong but, i don't understand what your talking about our dealers got us hook line and sinker. they didn't put a gun to our head or something. we all freely walked into the dealership and personally chose to put down a deposit to reserve our spot to get the first one.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
i might have read that wrong but, i don't understand what your talking about our dealers got us hook line and sinker. they didn't put a gun to our head or something. we all freely walked into the dealership and personally chose to put down a deposit to reserve our spot to get the first one.
I'm saying they just took your cash, and guaranteed their sale. They didn't actually order/reserve you a car... because no Si's or Type R's are available in the order bank. It was a sales tactic. It's frowned upon, my dealer literally won't take a deposit from me because no Si's/Type R's are available.

I did this "deposit" thing 5 years ago with a car dealer and found out the hard way that what the dealer did wasn't legit. They also tried to refuse to refund me the deposit after I didn't want the car and actually tried to claim losses against me in claiming that they ordered the car for me... but they didn't actually order/reserve a car for me since there was no agreement/ signed document tied to a VIN. Their "deposit" scheme was smoke and mirrors to get a sale.

Basically you are hyped, you want the car, they take your cash, they baited the sale... you can figure out what I'm saying.

Now if you did sign a document tied to a vin then you really did legitimately reserve or order that car and I'd be surprised because like I said no Si's or Type R's are in the Honda Dealers Order Banks.

Also you could put it this way, my friend did the same thing I did 5 years ago, but just last year and put $5k deposit down to reserve a Focus RS... he kept getting brushed off while the dealer seemed to be selling RS's to what seemed to be people walking in the door, and we even heard this dealer provided some of their stock to another dealer for a premium... he had no document tied to a VIN so he was at their mercy waiting for a phone call. His deposit to reserve a car was bullshit... took him 6months to get his car and he paid over MSRP in the end

Last edited:

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
The GM at the dealership I am working with will not accept a deposit until he has a firm price and more details. He put me first on the dealer list though a while back and he is still standing by that :)

Cedric44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si coupe 2012
Country flag
Did so a month ago. Still 2nd in line tho. Whoever was first, :catfight:
Put mine almost 2 month ago. My rep told me that im the 1st in my region ottawa/gatineau :) and i have 90% to have my 1st color (blue) ! Cant wait!!

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Put mine almost 2 month ago. My rep told me that im the 1st in my region ottawa/gatineau :) and i have 90% to have my 1st color (blue) ! Cant wait!!
How will he get in ahead of all of the other Honda dealers in the region and order your car?

Out of curiousity how much of a deposit did you pay?

Cedric44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si coupe 2012
Country flag
How will he get in ahead of all of the other Honda dealers in the region and order your car?

Out of curiousity how much of a deposit did you pay?
Not sure how they did it. But, he told me that they put my request in the system and now it appear like a pending request with the amout of days waiting. also, the bigger the dealer, the more they will get type r. Mine will get 2-3, some dealer will have 0 at the 1st wave. The Rep from honda canada went to the dealer last week to give information about the type r... and told him that im the 1st in the region to get the type r. We do not know when. My deposit was 1k.

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
I'm saying they just took your cash, and guaranteed their sale. They didn't actually order/reserve you a car... because no Si's or Type R's are available in the order bank. It was a sales tactic. It's frowned upon, my dealer literally won't take a deposit from me because no Si's/Type R's are available.

I did this "deposit" thing 5 years ago with a car dealer and found out the hard way that what the dealer did wasn't legit. They also tried to refuse to refund me the deposit after I didn't want the car and actually tried to claim losses against me in claiming that they ordered the car for me... but they didn't actually order/reserve a car for me since there was no agreement/ signed document tied to a VIN. Their "deposit" scheme was smoke and mirrors to get a sale.

Basically you are hyped, you want the car, they take your cash, they baited the sale... you can figure out what I'm saying.

Now if you did sign a document tied to a vin then you really did legitimately reserve or order that car and I'd be surprised because like I said no Si's or Type R's are in the Honda Dealers Order Banks.

Also you could put it this way, my friend did the same thing I did 5 years ago, but just last year and put $5k deposit down to reserve a Focus RS... he kept getting brushed off while the dealer seemed to be selling RS's to what seemed to be people walking in the door, and we even heard this dealer provided some of their stock to another dealer for a premium... he had no document tied to a VIN so he was at their mercy waiting for a phone call. His deposit to reserve a car was bullshit... took him 6months to get his car and he paid over MSRP in the end
i get what your saying, most deposits are usually non refundable. but i don't want my deposit back right. i want the car and so did another 5 maybe 6 people from the same dealership. so if you look at it from the dealerships side, the majority of those people either don't have the money to buy a type r or credit, so how does the dealership weed out the not so serious tire kickers. answer....deposits. no there is no vin number to attach, but you still have a record of what you gave them and why you gave them, and that you have first right of refusal.
and yes your correct, giving them a deposit does guarantee there sale...thats kind of the whole point of it.
and from your point of view i can say yes, there are crocked dealerships out there I'm sure that will look for every way to extract your money from you and don't give a crap...im not dealing with one of those, but they do exist I'm sure.

S2000Forever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda S2000
Country flag
Who put a deposit down for a Type R? I will on Monday :)
Yes, I put my deposit in on October 8th and I am first in line and requested a Red Type R, ordering my custom plates this week. So excited to take delivery. I have an offer to purchase which specifically says Type R with a $500 deposit payment.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you. My dealer is the same :bow: praise the dealers who are actually still honest these days, not many. I still have no money down and have a CW coming, "claimed" in January, and I should be getting one of the first cars built. Sometimes it does pay off to live in Northern Ontario :p

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

I'm as hyped as anyone on here, and my dealer knows it, yet I've asked to give money and my guy keeps telling me no worries, it's coming to me. :bow:
Sponsored