Canadian Pricing Negotiating

R&Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R & 2018 Honda Civic CVT LX Hatch
Country flag
Hello all!

After more than a year debating (reason explain later). I finally pull the trigger on a Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT.

Price: $25000 CAD

included Block heater, Wheel Lock-Nut, Splash Guide. Not sure If I did well or not. But I am happy with the price.

I was suppose to pick up today at 10am but due to Edmonton experience a very heavy snow storm. Driving on the highway without the government clear up the road just doesn't fit with me. So I reschedule.

As for why it took me a year to pull the trigger on the civic due to I already own a 2001 Honda Civic as a beater ad 2016 Golf R. I drove the Civic in the winter and it is still in good working condition. However, due to recent job position change, I am require to drive a lot days in and days out. So I decided is time. Initially, I was going to get either a Mazda 3 GX or civic sedan LX CVT due to I set a budget of just 23k. But after some thought, for extra couple grand, I get a turbo engine, alloy wheels and a hatchback. I believe it was worth it the extra money. And as you can probably tell, I am a fan of hatchback.

Looking to do many things to it but it will have to be a balance act between the civic and the R
Sponsored

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Hello all!

After more than a year debating (reason explain later). I finally pull the trigger on a Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT.

included Block heater, Wheel Lock-Nut, Splash Guide. Not sure If I did well or not. But I am happy with the price.

I was suppose to pick up today at 10am but due to Edmonton experience a very heavy snow storm. Driving on the highway without the government clear up the road just doesn't fit with me. So I reschedule.

As for why it took me a year to pull the trigger on the civic due to I already own a 2001 Honda Civic as a beater ad 2016 Golf R. I drove the Civic in the winter and it is still in good working condition. However, due to recent job position change, I am require to drive a lot days in and days out. So I decided is time. Initially, I was going to get either a Mazda 3 GX or civic sedan LX CVT due to I set a budget of just 23k. But after some thought, for extra couple grand, I get a turbo engine, alloy wheels and a hatchback. I believe it was worth it the extra money. And as you can probably tell, I am a fan of hatchback.

Looking to do many things to it but it will have to be a balance act between the civic and the R
Congrats on the new wheels! Yeah, I wish they made a sedan with the turbo and no sunroof. I can't fit with a sunroof, and didn't want a hatchback. We are suppose to get 15-30 cm of snow in Winnipeg Sunday/Monday.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Hello all!

$25 k on the road ! Look a good deal, congrat.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Payed 25.300 OTD for my LX in December.
Looks like people are getting better deals this year, wonder if there are any incentives?(I just missed $700, IIRC , that was available untill November last year)
Either way I am extremely happy with the car.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Payed 25.300 OTD for my LX in December.
Looks like people are getting better deals this year, wonder if there are any incentives?(I just missed $700, IIRC , that was available untill November last year)
Either way I am extremely happy with the car.
Sorry I meant it was an lx hatchback with we sensing

skullan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda LX (6MT), formerly a 2006 Hyundai Accent.
Country flag
Need opinions:

Goal to finance.

I'm in Ontario.

I want to ask the Dealer for a 2018 EX-T for pre-tax $25,662.50, which would work out to be $28,998.63 with 13% sales tax.
I have a 5k down payment. This would be $20,662.50 before tax, $23,348.63 after, but not including license/registration.

This should translate into 72 payments of $278.71 at 2.99%.

Do you think an Ontario dealer would go for this?

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Need opinions:

Goal to finance.

I'm in Ontario.

I want to ask the Dealer for a 2018 EX-T for pre-tax $25,662.50, which would work out to be $28,998.63 with 13% sales tax.
I have a 5k down payment. This would be $20,662.50 before tax, $23,348.63 after, but not including license/registration.

This should translate into 72 payments of $278.71 at 2.99%.

Do you think an Ontario dealer would go for this?
Sometimes depends on location. When I was in Sault Ste. Marie couldn't get within $500 to what I could have gotten in GTA.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Only way to find out is go to the dealers and see what they are offering , then you'll have an idea of how close you are to your price.
Dealers love to base everything on payments, since you worked out a payment that you like, it will be easy to compare. Just remember every dollar difference is multiplied by 72, if that's the length of loan you want. So, just being $5 different/mth. is $360.
Good luck with your purchase!

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Based on my research, and going to multiple dealership. It looks like the Canadian dealership has a margin of 850$ on the Civics.

One question thaugh, I got an e-mail from Honda (not dealership) with 1000$ off on a Civic. I was wondering how does it work to get it? There is no information on the e-mail or website, and not showing up when you build and price the car on Honda site. I do have some "PIN code" for the coupon. Also, I wonder if I can negotiate at the dealership, get to the lowest price I can, and then show the offer from Honda. For example, say I can get the car down to 750$ (assuming no "Documentation/Adminitration fee" crap, else add those to the price reduction), and then apply the coupon to get 1750$ off the car.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Based on my research, and going to multiple dealership. It looks like the Canadian dealership has a margin of 850$ on the Civics.

One question thaugh, I got an e-mail from Honda (not dealership) with 1000$ off on a Civic. I was wondering how does it work to get it? There is no information on the e-mail or website, and not showing up when you build and price the car on Honda site. I do have some "PIN code" for the coupon. Also, I wonder if I can negotiate at the dealership, get to the lowest price I can, and then show the offer from Honda. For example, say I can get the car down to 750$ (assuming no "Documentation/Adminitration fee" crap, else add those to the price reduction), and then apply the coupon to get 1750$ off the car.
The Dealer margin is more than $850. There are online services that give the exact amount of markup (CarCostCanada, Unhaggle,....). The manufacturers promotions don't affect the Dealer's margins. If the manufacturer had a $750 promotion, the dealer would sell you the car for $750 less, but still maintain the same profit margin because the manufacturer makes up the difference.

I used "APA.CA". Their fee is $85. They have participating dealerships for most brands in Toronto and Montreal. The Honda dealer for Toronto is "Team Honda" in Milton (about 1/2 hour West of the airport). You save about $800.00 off of the list price on a Civic. You should still get the manufacturer's promotions (Make sure you are getting the promotion before you sign on the dotted line), so if there is a manufacturer's promotion of $750.00 and you get an APA discount of $800, you save $750 + $800 - $85 = $1465.00. If you use this service, you still have to make sure that you are getting what you are entitled to. Do your homework before you go in. Know exactly what model, trim line, options and all of the costs before you talk to a salesman. Communicate by email before you go into the dealership and verify everything in writing.

Last edited:

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
The Dealer margin is more than $850. There are online services that give the exact amount of markup (CarCostCanada, Unhaggle,....). The manufacturers promotions don't affect the Dealer's margins. If the manufacturer had a $750 promotion, the dealer would sell you the car for $750 less, but still maintain the same profit margin because the manufacturer makes up the dufference.

I used "APA.CA". Their fee is $85. They have participating dealerships for most brands in Toronto and Montreal. The Honda dealer for Toronto is "Team Honda" in Milton (about 1/2 hour West of the airport). You save about $800.00 off of the list price on a Civic. You should still get the manufacturer's promotions (Make sure you are getting the promotion before you sign on the dotted line), so if there is a manufacturer's promotion of $750.00 and you get an APA discount of $800, you save $750 + $800 - $85 = $1465.00. If you use this service, you still have to make sure that you are getting what you are entitled to. Do your homework before you go in. Know exactly what model, trim line, options and all of the costs before you talk to a salesman. Communicate by email before you go into the dealership and verify everything in writing.
Yea, I am looking in buying the Civic SE + winter carpets + steel wheels + winter tires (Michelin X-Ice Xi3). 3 year financing. No extras. (No extended warranty, overpriced coatings, etc.)

I tried communicating by e-mail last year, and NO ONE, out of the 6 dealership in and around Montreal want to talk about pricing. They want me to come. But I think I should take a different approach. Maybe go there, to basically only get a salesperson phone number and e-mail (so basically waste my time, test drive the car I have already test driven before, etc.) act like I am thinking about it, and then, contact them directly by e-mail, and see.

Question:
So you are saying that the 800$ discount is the APA membership discount, and not "we negotiate for you" offer. So ultimately it is: ~750$ of me negotiating (estimate) + 800$ from the APA discount + 1000$ from Honda discount and of course, minute the APA fee, which would be 89$ for me due to Quebec taxes.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Yea, I am looking in buying the Civic SE + winter carpets + steel wheels + winter tires (Michelin X-Ice Xi3). 3 year financing. No extras. (No extended warranty, overpriced coatings, etc.)

Question:
So you are saying that the 800$ discount is the APA membership discount, and not "we negotiate for you" offer. So ultimately it is: ~750$ of me negotiating (estimate) + 800$ from the APA discount + 1000$ from Honda discount and of course, minute the APA fee, which would be 89$ for me due to Quebec taxes.
No. The APA quote is "no-negotiation price".
You do not get to negotiate more discount on top of the APA quote.
https://www.apa.ca/purchasing.asp

They do have participating dealers in Montreal.

Edit : Note the following disclaimer in APA's webpage :
Montreal: Most makes are covered, but please contact us by e-mail at [email protected] before joining to know if the brand you are considering is covered by the APA buying service.

Last edited:

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
No. The APA quote is "no-negotiation price".
You do not get to negotiate more discount on top of the APA quote.
https://www.apa.ca/purchasing.asp

They do have participating dealers in Montreal.
Ah ok, so I should expect 800$ off + that 1000$ Honda discount - 89$ (APA subscription), so: I'll get a 1711$ discount.
Sponsored