Can you change the civic 2017+ e-brake to a manual one?

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
So basically, I really want to get a Civic SI 2017 but what really bugs me is the e-brake... I have a civic lx 2017 and oh my god do I find it unconvenient... In so many cases I find it useful to have a manual handbrake for x or y situation.

Therefore, do you guys know if it's possible to change the e-brake for a manual one? I don't even know if there's enough space for it, but it's definitely a game-changer for me.

Also, how do you guys think the civic si does in snow? There's a lot of snow here in Quebec (Canada) and I really feel powerless with my current civic as a fwd. Would the si with a turbo help out even if it's still fwd?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting question.

Honda Civic 10th gen Can you change the civic 2017+ e-brake to a manual one? f697b1e6f6fac27455a7a63aa6580008

It would be difficult. It isn't like the cable the manual ebrake handle was attached to is still there. The switch is activating two motors which push the rear calibers against the pads, and it is on or off... without an intermediate position. Based on that, you'd have to retrofit the entire ebrake setup out of another car and transplant it in... handle cable and perhaps even some of the brake components.

I'm not too knowledgeable on it... but the differences extend beyond just a button replacing the handle. The cable is gone.

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
With enough money anything is possible, but this seems exceptionally difficult. Where and how would you even hook up the brake lever?

OP
OP

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
With enough money anything is possible, but this seems exceptionally difficult. Where and how would you even hook up the brake lever?
That is part of what I want to know! I don't know if there is enough space and if it's actually doable. If it's some genius shit that's gonna cost a thousand no thanks lol

Si Stuart

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe. 1969 Karmann Ghia.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

This may be useful!:thumbsup:
Haven't tried it yet but I'm sure its doable without messing with the electronic ebrake, since its a separate setup:drive:

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
That is part of what I want to know! I don't know if there is enough space and if it's actually doable. If it's some genius shit that's gonna cost a thousand no thanks lol
pretty sure itll cost more than a thousand.

best off getting an older car.

OP
OP

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
pretty sure itll cost more than a thousand.

best off getting an older car.
If the 8th gen si would come with a turbo I'd consider it, but I don't like the look of the 2015 and before... I like the new design on the 2016+ civic hence why I want a 2017. It's such a shame to not be able to even drift a little bit with your car in the winter... I don't understand why there's no option for it :(

mofoD

First Name
D$
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue '18 Si Coupe (Toy), White Orchid Pearl '16 Accord Touring V6 Coupe (Daily)
Country flag
If the 8th gen si would come with a turbo I'd consider it, but I don't like the look of the 2015 and before... I like the new design on the 2016+ civic hence why I want a 2017. It's such a shame to not be able to even drift a little bit with your car in the winter... I don't understand why there's no option for it :(
same reason why manuals are being phased out slowly. everything is all electronic now. just another way to keep your car safer. my car switches the parking brake on automatically the minute i take my seat belt off when the car is stopped.

OP
OP

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
same reason why manuals are being phased out slowly. everything is all electronic now. just another way to keep your car safer. my car switches the parking brake on automatically the minute i take my seat belt off when the car is stopped.
Yeah personally I really hate that kind of stuff lol... It's like the vehicule stability assist. To me it just really kills the possible enjoyment of the car.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I am going to go right out and say NOPE.

Not only is it a physical and mechanical nightmare to even try what you are thinking, the sheer fact that the e-parking brake is electronic and tied into the cars computer and software management means that you have a whole other level of issues to deal with if you disconnect all of that hardware.

OP
OP

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
I am going to go right out and say NOPE.

Not only is it a physical and mechanical nightmare to even try what you are thinking, the sheer fact that the e-parking brake is electronic and tied into the cars computer and software management means that you have a whole other level of issues to deal with if you disconnect all of that hardware.
Such a shame :( I really love the Civic SI but what's killing me really is the ebrake and the fwd. My other options are either an evo or wrx. Oh well..

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I am 52 and DO get lost looking for the real break to "pull up" ... Sticking my finger in some sort of space to fake the feeling of engaging the Parking Break is a bunch of fing bs to be frank but so is ... drive by wire, push button start, rev hang and the list goes on. I have learned you are going to have to "move" a bit with technology although it may NOT be for the best.

OP
OP

Jeune Padawan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2017
I am 52 and DO get lost looking for the real break to "pull up" ... Sticking my finger in some sort of space to fake the feeling of engaging the Parking Break is a bunch of fing bs to be frank but so is ... drive by wire, push button start, rev hang and the list goes on. I have learned you are going to have to "move" a bit with technology although it may NOT be for the best.
That's exactly what kills it for me. Like really... Next up your car's gonna drive itself. I really, really don't like the all so electronic bullshit it's turning into. Honestly, what I love about the wrx and the evo is how "old" they are. They're not very electronic, at least you don't get that much the feeling when driving it. It's really a shame to me because I would have loved the civic si otherwise.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I really love the Civic SI
This made me think... The Si and the Type R perhaps should have had a classic pull handle brake. Just to keep with the theme.

As for the FWD, the Si and R have one of the best LSDs out there for this class of car so as much as I would love to see Honda do a RWD car again, this compromise is not really that bad.
Sponsored