Can this scratch be repaired? Or will it need to be replaced?

RaiseTheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX Manual
http://imgur.com/a/eDMR7

Embarrassing... 100% my fault, too dependent at staring at the back up camera and not looking around more (my old car didn't have this). I was backing out of an underground parking. The spot was right next to a concrete support column. The car to my right was far away (at the time I was backing out, I didn't think it was because of the column) so I turned the wheel too early and scrapped the column.

I'll definitely bring it into the dealer to fix it soon maybe this weekend, but I'm thinking if it's good idea to replace those clear side markers back with the stock ones...
Sponsored

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
You can try to take off the scuffing, but that chip is pretty deep. The biggest concern is not having it flake, so you should seal it with several layers of touch up paint. I have one similar to yours on the underside of my car so you cannot see it. A repaint is about 500-700 at least for me. Since I drive my car a lot on the highway, I'll just postpone a repaint until it gets further down the line with more road rash

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think using a product like Meguairs Scratch X will help remove a lot of the scuffing. I have a small chip like that on my front bumper minus the scuffing.

OP
OP

RaiseTheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thing is, I don't any tools, no knowledge about buffing out stuff like that... especially when it's all plastic
Although that top portion, above the side marker, is metal and the scuffing is on there as well.

Anyways, I just replaced the clear side markers with the stock ones again, I just didn't want any issues about them not working on it or whatever.

500-700... if that's what it is, expensive, avoidable mistake, sheesh

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Scratch X can be used by hand. I've been using it for years and definetly gets the job done. YouTube a couple of videos on how to apply. Very straight forward product and you always wanna start with the least aggressive.

I would try that route before considering paying 5-700 for a paint job.

OP
OP

RaiseTheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went to the dealer owned body shop... 800 bucks

Touch up paint... less than $15. No brainer there, guess I'll have to learn how to touch up the pain from youtube

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah, you need to replace it with a better quality new scratch!
Sponsored