jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Hello all. My plan for a simple system is to install the Alpine KTP-445U in between the stock head unit and stock speakers of my Sport hatch. I'd use the high pass filter at 80 hz so the speakers don't get bass frequencies. Then I'd put in a small powered subwoofer in the trunk for the bass. I don't need extreme volume or bass. I want clean sound at moderate listening levels. Will the stock speakers play clean enough with this set up?
Sponsored

leaat23

First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 10 1.5l Vtec Turbo
Country flag
Hello all. My plan for a simple system is to install the Alpine KTP-445U in between the stock head unit and stock speakers of my Sport hatch. I'd use the high pass filter at 80 hz so the speakers don't get bass frequencies. Then I'd put in a small powered subwoofer in the trunk for the bass. I don't need extreme volume or bass. I want clean sound at moderate listening levels. Will the stock speakers play clean enough with this set up?
If you have the Sport it will have the separate amp, so mid/bass speaker is powered separately to the tweeters from the OEM amp, you could use an aftermarket cross over but probably not worth it, if it was me I would upgrade the OEM speakers in the doors as it is fairly easy to do.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had an aftermarket head unit with a built in amp and the stocks worked fine and sounded much better. Try it out and if you aren't satisfied, you were probably going to replace them anyway.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
the stock speaker already sound much better, when they are correctly EQ'd (ie. via viper4android).
do after-market speaker sound so much better, with that crappy default eq-curve from the HU? i somehow doubt it. :/

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
the stock speaker already sound much better, when they are correctly EQ'd (ie. via viper4android).
do after-market speaker sound so much better, with that crappy default eq-curve from the HU? i somehow doubt it. :/
You can put a ten thousand dollar amp on the stock speakers and it's not going to sound "good". There will still be a ton of distortion from the stock speakers. Yes the music will not be heard as it was meant to be heard with the HU as it is set but at least there won't be as much distortion with a quality set of speakers. As with any stereo equipment the speakers should be looked at first. That's my take on it anyway.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
To simply answer your question, yes stock speakers sound better with more power. Pretty much every car I’ve ever owned I always change the head unit first which gives more power and of course a cleaner signal. Then the speakers sound easily twice as loud and clear. But I wouldn’t try to feed them anything too crazy like 50 watts or more. They are not gonna handle that well. But the built in amp of a aftermarket head unit are perfect for stock speakers. But if you plan to put 50 watts or better on them, you might want to upgrade the speakers to. I just looked up that alpine amp you are talking about and it shows 45 watts so the factory speakers should handle that power. Just make sure the gain is set correctly
Sponsored