Can regular use of the "S" Gear cause any damage to the car over time?

JohnG307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I can attest to L having, at least, an RPM limit. I was headed up a hill in S, engine cranking, went to switch to D for no good reason but went the wrong way and hit L instead. Car beep beep beep'ed at me and RPM/throttle response didn't change. Put it right back into S no problem.
Sponsored

3vilhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can attest to L having, at least, an RPM limit. I was headed up a hill in S, engine cranking, went to switch to D for no good reason but went the wrong way and hit L instead. Car beep beep beep'ed at me and RPM/throttle response didn't change. Put it right back into S no problem.
O wow, it will beep? I didn't know about that

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I use L Exclusively for speed inclines or if I'm stopped on a hill only.

I've gotten more prone to using S for short periods of time in traffic or around town or if I'm going up a hill or need a quick burst of speed, but on any kind of highway situation I only use D. I'd say I'm in D 90% of the time. S is definitely more reaponsive but it hands on to the RPM a big long for my taste and has a bit less of a refined feel to it. It's decent for the city but I always looked at it as a "2" gear I've seen in other cars.
Sponsored