Can regular use of the "S" Gear cause any damage to the car over time?

KoreanDrama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016, Honda Civic Hybrid 2003
Hey guys, question is in the title. Can regular use of the "S" Gear cause any damage to the car over time?
Sponsored

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
strongly doubt it, but driving the car hard/cold starts and not letting it warm up before going crazy will obviously give you problems way faster then if you drove it with care.. goodluck

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I've really been enjoying this car in "L" mode around town lately. Different clutch shift point slope is the only difference which allows higher engine RPM. I'm old but I still love the odd chirp from the tires now and then.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
The best output for performance will always be higher revs but for longevity, obviously you wouldn't want to keep gnashing gears all your car's life just for the hell of it. Better to save for a red-light challenge.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
The best output for performance will always be higher revs but for longevity, obviously you wouldn't want to keep gnashing gears all your car's life just for the hell of it. Better to save for a red-light challenge.
What gnashing of gears are you talking about? The metal link belt is held at a different ratio in the V shaped sheaves (drive and driven clutch) to give a stepless transition from low to high ratio.

I'm just being a dick, I know what you mean and I certainly don't drive everywhere in L or S. It sure is fun when I do though and I'm sure Honda designed this CVT to protect itself just like any other modern transmission.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
What gnashing of gears are you talking about? The metal link belt is held at a different ratio in the V shaped sheaves (drive and driven clutch) to give a stepless transition from low to high ratio.

I'm just being a dick, I know what you mean and I certainly don't drive everywhere in L or S. It sure is fun when I do though and I'm sure Honda designed this CVT to protect itself just like any other modern transmission.
The CVT definitely loves to protect itself. Even tuning has been difficult because of it. And paired with a oversensitive ECU. Adding any power to this car requires a precise tune.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Oh, just an expression. If anything, Honda has proven that life begins at 7000rpm given the VTEC in the S2000. Generally though, I don't drive every day in S unless I'm in traffic and need to zip into different lanes. Still trying to get used to the CVT when I'm so used to a manual.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
gotta love the VTEC. unfortunately there's a earth dreams engine in our 1.5T

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Oh, just an expression. If anything, Honda has proven that life begins at 7000rpm given the VTEC in the S2000. Generally though, I don't drive every day in S unless I'm in traffic and need to zip into different lanes. Still trying to get used to the CVT when I'm so used to a manual.
I treat the D, S & L modes like normal, sport and sportier found on some automatic transmissions.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I treat the D, S & L modes like normal, sport and sportier found on some automatic transmissions.
Ya this is like me. I regularly drive in D, sometimes pop into S just for a little fun and the other day at a "red light challenge" as posted above, I put it in L. Only had it in L twice though.

I usually use S once every couples days or so for in-town driving. I find D more than usable on the highway.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
The only thing I notice in S is that the idle revs are higher which puts you in the sweet spot for the turbo to do its thing. I don't think L will change the idle revs but I am sure the gearing (for lack of a better term) will be better for scooting in an out of lanes. I'll have to try it this week.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
The only thing I notice in S is that the idle revs are higher which puts you in the sweet spot for the turbo to do its thing. I don't think L will change the idle revs but I am sure the gearing (for lack of a better term) will be better for scooting in an out of lanes. I'll have to try it this week.
If you think S revs high, try L

3vilhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My friend sat in my civic last night and I was driving it in S whole time, she said she don't feel any Turbo kick in at all, she said it moves like a V6, but don't feel any Turbo... maybe she's just use to her WRX lol
Sponsored