Can rear bumper plastic be adjusted?

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
On each side of my '16 LX the joint between the metal fender and the rear bumper plastic is not uniform and tight. The gap between metal and plastic is widest up at the taillights yet fairly tight near the tires.

Can the plastic be "cinched up" to tighten the gap near the taillights?

Just in front of the rear wheels the gap between the doors/rear fenders and the plastic below is also not uniform. One could describe it as "ill-fitting". It appears to be installed correctly but it doesn't mesh together all that well.

The plastic on my 2003 Accord fits much better with tight, uniform gaps everywhere you look.

Maybe they improved the fit and finish on the '17.

My Civic was built in May 2016.
Sponsored

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
My EX-T is also like this. When I first noticed it I thought I had been hit because the gap was pretty large and it looked like the bumper had been pulled. It's only on the left side as the right side is flush and the gap is small. I've tried pushing to see if maybe it wasn't installed all the way but no luck.

I'm guessing they could take off the bumper and try to realign assuming the bumper has the right dimensions and this has to do with the installation. Ask your dealer next time you are there.

stoobs

First Name
Stoo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK Honda Civic Prestige CVT 2018
Country flag
I have only just noticed that where the trunk/boot lid meets the rear bumper the gap is not equal all the way along.

It looks like it curves upward from the bumper slightly from the left, and then back down toward the right.
Sponsored