Can I use Ktuner with an Automatic CVT 17' Hatch Sport?

OP
OP
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
I wanted to come back to this thread and say thanks to everyone that's posted here with helping me decide on what to get. I went with ktuner and did stage 2 dual tune. 2017 HB Sports Touring CVT here and as @gtman stated. We are very lucky to have these two options. I feel that everyone that has 10th gen should get one of these. I'm completely stock and the difference is remarkable. I use to do a lot of mods back in the day. But with kids now, I needed something more for the family but still fun. I didn't think I would even consider any type of tune or mods for this car but this site has changed my thoughts. Either tuner is best bang for the buck vs any bolt ons. I'd say this should be the number one mod and then you can add others later. No brainer vote for me!
Thats awesome! Few questions...Do you have a warranty that could get voided? Is it easy to switch the Ktuner on and off so that i can use the extra HP only when i need it?
I created this thread a while aho and have not checked in, in a while aha

er1c_b

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thats awesome! Few questions...Do you have a warranty that could get voided? Is it easy to switch the Ktuner on and off so that i can use the extra HP only when i need it?
You can flash the dual tune. Eco on and it'll be the stock tune. Eco off and it'll be the 21 psi tune.

Bucd

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sports Touring
Vehicle Showcase
You can flash the dual tune. Eco on and it'll be the stock tune. Eco off and it'll be the 21 psi tune.
This is what i did. And I'm still under warranty. Ive not flash back to stock yet but it should be as easy as flashing it to base tunes.

And btw....one you are on this tune you wont want to press the econ button. :)

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ktuner Civic Turbo 1.5ltr
"
Stage 1 (CVT and MT):
Improved throttle response
Removed throttle dampening on low end, better performance off the line
Reduced turbo lag
Improved low-end and midrange torque
Boost raised to 18psi
Producing a much more sporty feel, drivability, and additional top end power!

Stage 2 (CVT and MT):
Reduced turbo lag with aggressive spool up
Boost raised to 21psi
Producing a much more sporty feel, drivability, and additional top end power!

Stage 2 Dual Calibration (CVT and MT):
Reduced turbo lag with aggressive spool up
Factory boost in ECO mode
Boost raised to 21psi in normal
Producing a much more sporty feel, drivability, and additional top end power!"

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Dual Calibration seems like the way to go. Here's why: The engine shouldn't be pushed until it's up to operating temperature. As a result, my method is to keep it in Econ mode when you first start the car - you get all the above benefits of faster turbo spin-up, reduced lag, etc. with the factory boost. The, after 5 minutes, when the engine is at operating temperature, press the Econ button and enjoy!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Dual Calibration seems like the way to go. Here's why: The engine shouldn't be pushed until it's up to operating temperature. As a result, my method is to keep it in Econ mode when you first start the car - you get all the above benefits of faster turbo spin-up, reduced lag, etc. with the factory boost. The, after 5 minutes, when the engine is at operating temperature, press the Econ button and enjoy!
I run Hondata but the principal is the same. I also run a dual tune. Where I differ from your method is I run my full tune from a cold start. Obviously I take it easy until the engine warms up. I don't think I'm hurting anything because part throttle low rpm on most base tunes isn't all that much different than stock. I only use Econ every so often to save a bit on wear and tear and gas.

Abhorsen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' FK7
Country flag
Glad you're enjoying so far!
Hey mate, was thinking about the KTuner for my 18' Sport CVT hatchback but I had some questions. Its gonna be my daily driver so I'm not gonna be flooring it like 70-80% of the time. Will the Stage 2 tune put significant stress on the CVT tranny and if so, are there any aftermarket parts I can replace to minimize that? I'd like to have a bit of fun in the car at times but not destroy the transmission. I would just like some more power out of the drive and enjoy it without completely trashing the CVT since its brand new. Is that feasible with the Stage 2 tune in any way, and if not would I have to go with Stage 1?

Regards

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Hey mate, was thinking about the KTuner for my 18' Sport CVT hatchback but I had some questions. Its gonna be my daily driver so I'm not gonna be flooring it like 70-80% of the time. Will the Stage 2 tune put significant stress on the CVT tranny and if so, are there any aftermarket parts I can replace to minimize that? I'd like to have a bit of fun in the car at times but not destroy the transmission. I would just like some more power out of the drive and enjoy it without completely trashing the CVT since its brand new. Is that feasible with the Stage 2 tune in any way, and if not would I have to go with Stage 1?

Regards
Our stage 2 is perfectly fine for mixed driving scenarios. Some have been running this tune for well over two years safely.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag

Regards
Unless you have ridiculously sticky tires, you will shred your tires long before you damage the CVT. I have both an 2018 Accord Sport (wife's car primarily) and a 2018 Civic EX-T. Stock side by side the Accord clearly has more power and even though it is heavier than the Civic you can feel the extra torque. I first flashed the stage 1 on my Civic when I got the Ktuner. The change was amazing and immediately noticeable. After a few days I went to the dual stage 2/eco stock boost tune. I leave it in normal mode most of the time and the car just hauls now. I drove the Accord the other day for the first time in a couple of months and now it feels downright slow compared to the Civic. As long as you aren't flooring it at every stop light (It IS hard to resist doing this) your car will be fine. I have no other mods other than a K&N filter and the only other mod I am considering is an intake but more for the sound rather than the performance. Gas mileage is still pretty good too. Last weekend I drove a 300 mile round trip that was about 80/20 highway/city driving and averaged about 38mpg.

Abhorsen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' FK7
Country flag
Unless you have ridiculously sticky tires, you will shred your tires long before you damage the CVT. I have both an 2018 Accord Sport (wife's car primarily) and a 2018 Civic EX-T. Stock side by side the Accord clearly has more power and even though it is heavier than the Civic you can feel the extra torque. I first flashed the stage 1 on my Civic when I got the Ktuner. The change was amazing and immediately noticeable. After a few days I went to the dual stage 2/eco stock boost tune. I leave it in normal mode most of the time and the car just hauls now. I drove the Accord the other day for the first time in a couple of months and now it feels downright slow compared to the Civic. As long as you aren't flooring it at every stop light (It IS hard to resist doing this) your car will be fine. I have no other mods other than a K&N filter and the only other mod I am considering is an intake but more for the sound rather than the performance. Gas mileage is still pretty good too. Last weekend I drove a 300 mile round trip that was about 80/20 highway/city driving and averaged about 38mpg.
One important thing I forgot to ask was if you would happen to know if KTuner is CARB compliant now? California is a bitch lol.

Abhorsen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' FK7
Country flag
It is not.
Is it possible for there to be a stage 1 and stock dual tune flash to be made? If there is, I'd rather go for KTuner and just use the eco mode button for stock tune when taking it to get smog tested. I assume that when using the factory tune in Eco Mode the smog test will be passed?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible for there to be a stage 1 and stock dual tune flash to be made? If there is, I'd rather go for KTuner and just use the eco mode button for stock tune when taking it to get smog tested. I assume that when using the factory tune in Eco Mode the smog test will be passed?
In Ktuner, you have a "starter" dual tune where you can chose the amount of boost you want to run (anywhere from 15 to 21psi). Using a simple dropdown, you pick your boost separately for both normal mode and the econ button mode.

And remember, it's easy to return to the actual Honda stock tune for a smog test and then drop your Ktuner tune back in after.
Sponsored

Last edited: