Can a tracked (conveyor-type) car wash damage suspension or throw off alignment?

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe; 1969 Honda S800M Roadster
Country flag
I have a question about the type of car wash where the front driver's-side wheel runs between two guide rails that keep the car straight as it is pulled through the wash. I know that these rails can scratch wheel rims on cars with low-profile tires (especially if the rails are not covered with plastic, and its just metal-on-metal) but what I would like to know is if anyone here has ever heard of such a car wash actually damaging suspension components, or even causing the car to require an alignment?
Sponsored

OP
OP

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe; 1969 Honda S800M Roadster
Country flag
Actually, both driver's side wheels go between the guide rails, not just the front one of course.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I'm not aware of this happening. Actually the honda dealership where i bought my Si gives free unlimited car washes for as long as you own the car. This is the same system that they use.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
One dented my front driver side bumper, so I refuse to use them going forward, but yes, they can also affect alignment. Going over a 3" elevation at an odd angle can require alignment recalibration. If you enter them perfectly straight, it's fine, but repeated entries will definitely offset things. As far as standard driving, most folks won't notice a 1-3° variance in alignment. The wider your tires, the more pronounced the difference.

With aftermarket rims, don't risk it. Just use one of the self service spray wash units if you're not washing your car at home.
Sponsored