amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Well not exactly. Rev hang isn't mental, it does exist. OP never stated that he couldn't shift or it grinds or he mis shifts. Said he couldn't shift smoothly. To which I said you could address this by slowing down your shifting to allow the rev hang to wear off and the revs to drop.

I agree with you that rev hang is annoying, but that's about it.
Agreed, rev hang is real, but what I meant was is that it does not affect shifting, that is what is mental. Once I realized that it does not "get in the way" of shifting, I just ignored it and found that I could shift with no problems, even power shifting while being in the high rpm range. I actually disabled rev hang and for two weeks drove without it, and hated it. I found that the rpms would drop to rapidly and the car would jolt between shifts. I ended up reflashing and re-enabling it. That said, yes you need to allow the synchros to do their job.

BTW, I was not addressing the OP mis-shifting or grinding, what I was addressing is some complaints people have had blaming their problems with shifting on rev hang, when in fact rev hang has never gotten into the way when I drove with it, even when I was driving spiritedly
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like it's smoothest when I shift close to 3k RPM. If you try to short shift at 2-2.5k, another member mentioned to rev a little before engaging the clutch.

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good discussion on the Si shifter. My 2019 Si is the notchiest of all the Honda (and even my 2016 GTI) I've ever driven. I am not talking about the throw or the sureness of engagement. It's just too "metallic" instead of the usual Honda "buttered Teflon." I have just over 4000 miles on this baby. Second is the toughest, and second to third in low RPMs can be -- well -- notchy. I am getting the hang of it, but I wonder what amirza said might not be a bad option to explore. If anyone else has changed the fluid, I'd live to hear about it.

Thank you all.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good discussion on the Si shifter. My 2019 Si is the notchiest of all the Honda (and even my 2016 GTI) I've ever driven. I am not talking about the throw or the sureness of engagement. It's just too "metallic" instead of the usual Honda "buttered Teflon." I have just over 4000 miles on this baby. Second is the toughest, and second to third in low RPMs can be -- well -- notchy. I am getting the hang of it, but I wonder what amirza said might not be a bad option to explore. If anyone else has changed the fluid, I'd live to hear about it.

Thank you all.
I have a thread I wrote on this, you can read the testimony of other CivicX users who went this route: https://www.civicx.com/threads/changed-mtf-to-amsoil-synchromesh-i-am-happy.32652/

Best damn thing I ever did to my car. If I could only do one "mod", this would be it. Yes, even over Ktuner!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I know how you feel, my Si is my first car with manual, and also with no one to teach me in person, it took me a bit over a year to learn how to shift smoothly(also due to me not realizing I was adding too much gas when letting out the clutch for months). Now I have it down and know how to do it smoothly, but there are certain factors of our cars which make it not the easiest to learn on. All the 10 gen MTs have a clutch delay valve (CDV) which delays how fast the clutch can be released. This causes the clutch to have no feeling, and paired with an extremely light clutch can make it feel awkward to use.

Note: I have a tune with the rev hang delete, so my experience may be a bit different from yours. I highly recommend getting a tune alone for the rev hang delete, it makes shifting so much better.

Every once in a while I jerk a bit going from 1 to 2, as it's not the easiest in this car, but I've heard that's also due to the CDV, as people who've had it removed have said 1 to 2 is a lot smoother/easier.

The thing that tool me forever to realize is that very little gas is needed when up-shifting. I used to always add more than I needed, resulting in the car jerking. When I up-shift, I barely put any pressure on the throttle, using the built in tool on the display, I only push down the throttle about 5%. Hopefully this helps as this was the issue that I was screwing up on for a long, long time. Again, I have the rev hang delete so you may need to give your car a second for the RPM to start dropping before releasing the clutch.
Why are you gassing it when upshifting? Foot should be off the throttle until the clutch has fully engaged. Giving it extra gas as the engine revs fall into place would only put more stress on the clutch as you are engaging the gear.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Why are you gassing it when upshifting? Foot should be off the throttle until the clutch has fully engaged. Giving it extra gas as the engine revs fall into place would only put more stress on the clutch as you are engaging the gear.
Applying a small amount of throttle is a perfectly acceptable way to achieve smooth upshifts.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
To slow the fall of engine speed to make a less abrupt connection? That would make some sense.
Yeah, pretty much. I believe the engine braking really causes the sudden jolt since without any gas applied, the sudden engine braking when the clutch is released really pulls the RPMs down suddenly. Now, I am tuned with the rev-hang disabled, which does allow the throttle to close more fully than the stock tune. It's been awhile, so I can't say for sure, but I'd wager a guess that since the stock tune keeps the throttle open a bit more, it's already "artificially" keeping the throttle applied a bit, which is accomplishing the same thing as what I do manually. Or maybe I just suck at shifting, who knows!

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Yeah, pretty much. I believe the engine braking really causes the sudden jolt since without any gas applied, the sudden engine braking when the clutch is released really pulls the RPMs down suddenly. Now, I am tuned with the rev-hang disabled, which does allow the throttle to close more fully than the stock tune. It's been awhile, so I can't say for sure, but I'd wager a guess that since the stock tune keeps the throttle open a bit more, it's already "artificially" keeping the throttle applied a bit, which is accomplishing the same thing as what I do manually. Or maybe I just suck at shifting, who knows!
Whatever works

MediumUnwell

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2013 Civic EX-L, 2012 Odyssey EX-L (the wife's)
Country flag
Or maybe I just suck at shifting, who knows!
LOL!! Bought my '18 Si about 2 weeks ago and my wife literally has said "So are you going to get better at shifting?" Mind you, I learned to drive on a manual and have owned one all my life (39yo) so I am very familiar with manuals. 3 Civics and 1 Accord, all manuals and never have had a problem (also never owned an Si or performance type car either though) but for whatever reason 1st to 2nd has been jerky on this car for me. I keep telling my wife it's because it's a performance car and so the clutch is different from all the others I'd driven, but I had to laugh at your comment because that thought has crossed my mind more than once. :D But after reading this post I'm glad to hear it's not just me.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LOL!! Bought my '18 Si about 2 weeks ago and my wife literally has said "So are you going to get better at shifting?" Mind you, I learned to drive on a manual and have owned one all my life (39yo) so I am very familiar with manuals. 3 Civics and 1 Accord, all manuals and never have had a problem (also never owned an Si or performance type car either though) but for whatever reason 1st to 2nd has been jerky on this car for me. I keep telling my wife it's because it's a performance car and so the clutch is different from all the others I'd driven, but I had to laugh at your comment because that thought has crossed my mind more than once. :D But after reading this post I'm glad to hear it's not just me.
See my earlier posts, also my threads on:

Changing out the OEM MT fluid to Amsoil Synchromesh: https://www.civicx.com/threads/changed-mtf-to-amsoil-synchromesh-i-am-happy.32652/

This will smooth out the transmission, make shifting smoother, and has a longer change interval since it's fully synthetic (the OEM is not). It's a no brainer at $16 x 2 quarts

You can also read my thread on smooth shifting: https://www.civicx.com/threads/a-gu...orts-or-other-civic-manual.39697/#post-656821

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I have a 18 SI and a 2006 2.4 Accord....both manual.
The Accord shifts smooth as butter....the SI is VERY notchy.
Sponsored