kidcon

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your freer flowing exhaust piping allows exhaust gases to exit the turbo faster. The faster the turbine spins, the more boost pressure is created on the compressor side. With a smaller exhaust, pressure builds up behind the turbo slowing down the exhaust gasses and how fast the turbine spins.

The turbine (the exhaust side of the turbo) is like a pinwheel. If you try blowing through a straw at a pinwheel, you can get it spinning, but it takes effort. If you blow on it through a piece of garden hose, you can get it spinning more quickly because more air can flow over it faster. A wastegate is like having a hole in the straw/hose that you can open and close to limit the air going to the pinwheel, let's say by covering the hole with your finger for example.

It's not exactly the same (backwards, but similar), but I hope that covers the basic idea in a visual way.

So why does this cause your wastegate to flutter? Freer flowing exhaust lets the turbo "spool up" faster, so the wastegate needs to work more to keep the turbo spinning at the right speed to make the boost you want.

Changing your tune probably won't affect your wastegate the way you think it will. The less boost you want to run, the more the wastegate works to bypass the turbo. So throwing a stock map on it will probably cause more "flutter" noise.

PS. I know I'm leaving out the thermodynamics, exhaust expansion, and pressure optimization stuff, but, I didn't want to add confusion.
This has actually helped, a lot, if possible i'd like to learn more from you - maybe not in a forum setting but somehow a way for you to be more in depth with things.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
OP
OP
kidcon

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Tahjo7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
Country flag
I had this issue, 17 crv 1.5t L15B7 engine, CVT hondata custom tune, 24.3 psi (tuned safely for cvt longevity). I would only have this issue after a few hard pulls, I thought the cvt was going out, so I try to replicate the issue using the stock boost targets (econ mode) problem went away. Then I noticed that this problem would only happen once the car had been running for a while (heatsoaked). So then, yesterday I purchased a Mishimoto FMIC for the 2016 + civic, installed, did the same multiple back to back hard pulls, car keep pulling problem went away.

The car was fighting itself. The IAT2 temps (after intercooler) were too high for the boost the tune was asking for, so it was trying to retard the ignition timing. But when I pushed the econ button to switch to the stock 16 psi stock tune. No matter how hard I drove, no matter how many pulls I did, or how heatsoaked the stock intercooler was it NEVER studdered under acceleration, I felt the loss of power, but the studded wasn't there.

Now with the intercooler installed, I only notice it if I do multiple hard high boost pulls in the city, where not much air is passing through the intercooler to cool it down and scavenge off the hot air. Then and only then will it start to bog under acceleration. Hope that helps.

Honda Civic 10th gen Calling all turbo freaks and Tuners: TURBO FLUTTER UNDER ACCELERATION 20180831_174505

Tahjo7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
Country flag
An additional note, it retards the timing when the intake air is too hot, as it's difficult to compress hot air, the car won't run efficiently and you'll start to experience knock/pinging because of the high knock count, anything over .55 I believe isn't ideal. To protect itself the car will retard the timing if it senses knocking/pinging (pre-detonating), couple that with a turbo that's still trying to achieve its high boost target if your high boost tune is active. It's a cluster f**k.

That's all I know, that's my experience, no expert here. Still learning. I have an experienced tuner at Church Automotive in Wilmington, CA

Tahjo7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
Country flag
Go to Mishimoto's website, they have some great articles on this topic of heatsoaking of the 2016 Civic. And multiple videos to demonstrate what they're talking about.

OP
OP
kidcon

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go to Mishimoto's website, they have some great articles on this topic of heatsoaking of the 2016 Civic. And multiple videos to demonstrate what they're talking about.
I appreciate your reply! I am currently partnered with mishimoto and will be picking up an intercooler sometime soon! I’ll def monitor it more once that’s installed!

Tahjo7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
Country flag
I appreciate your reply! I am currently partnered with mishimoto and will be picking up an intercooler sometime soon! I’ll def monitor it more once that’s installed!
Anytime bro, our info/comments will help those with the same problems for years to come. Lol I still find forums from like 2006 with answers for my current problems.

Happy to help. See if you can put a word in with mishimoto to help me get a piping kit. I mistakenly only bought the intercooler during the pre sale.

Thx bro!

OP
OP
kidcon

kidcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anytime bro, our info/comments will help those with the same problems for years to come. Lol I still find forums from like 2006 with answers for my current problems.

Happy to help. See if you can put a word in with mishimoto to help me get a piping kit. I mistakenly only bought the intercooler during the pre sale.

Thx bro!
If you hit them up on insta or even their website they respond quick! I’m sure then can get you all straightened out!

Tahjo7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
Country flag
If you hit them up on insta or even their website they respond quick! I’m sure then can get you all straightened out!
I tried, nothing. They're probably out for the holiday. We'll see.

Take care, good luck!

RB760

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si sedan
Country flag
So recently I have been noticing when I am accelerating my turbo stutters - I am not quite sure why.

My first thought was BPV but its only when i am on the gas
then I thought vaccum leak but wouldnt my car not get full boost if i had a leak?
then I thought overboost?

I am not really sure what it could be, if any one has any idea it would be greatly appreciated

I will try to get a video tonight

Mods:
Ktuner v1.2 dual 21psi map
prl stage 1 intake
cat racing hatless downpipe
magnaflow exhuast
Sponsored