California's new "loud" Exhaust Law (AB1824) - What are your thoughts?

Should AB1824 be a law?

• Yes

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 79 86.8%

• Total voters

peters239

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
Country flag
California is a nice place but i couldnt live there for all there stupid laws and this is one of them. Just like Laguna Seca race track in cali has noise laws now. If its too loud after three laps its done for the day. I m referencing motortrend with there best drivers car because the lambo was too loud. Come on its a completly stock car and its a race track thats bin there for a long time. If you moved close to it and dont like the sound then maybe you shouldnt of moved next to a race track. Just my two cents.
Sponsored

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I'm from Canada, but I really don't mind the fart cans tbh. Like if 5 fart cans toot a tune every hour by my house I could care less.

And yes, it does sound like a blatant money grab. And I feel for those who have been victimized by these rules. Here in Canada our municipal governments themselves erect money grabbing scheme regularly. California stops being caught by red light cameras has been a boon for several cities.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
It's easy money. And we all know how happy governments are when they have money on hand to spend on stuff, for better or for worse. And we all know how easy it is for them to pluck it from you under the guises of fines.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
tbh, its only a matter of time before they outlaw traditional gas engines in California and make everything hybrid/electric. There's already solid backing from people to do so. Probably won't happen soon, but its gonna happen and CA will probably be the first place to do it.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've passed a handful of officers in LA so far and it seems like as long as you don't bring too much attention to yourself and driving responsibly, then they won't pull you over for an after market exhaust. But the same may not be true if you have an obnoxiously loud exhaust. I think I'd be afraid if I drove by a cop with catless + aftermarket catback. Right now I have a catless dp/fp with modded stock exhaust but its subtle if I don't rev too high.

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Slow 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So what happens after 300k signs?
Nothing is guaranteed at any level of signatures. But what Jeremy Lee (creator of petition) is trying to do is to garner attention from lawmakers, news outlets, car community, etc to show that we (signees) are against this bill that takes a poor approach to combat takeovers.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
tbh, its only a matter of time before they outlaw traditional gas engines in California and make everything hybrid/electric. There's already solid backing from people to do so. Probably won't happen soon, but its gonna happen and CA will probably be the first place to do it.
Not going to happen anytime soon for sure. The next step in efficiency will be hybrids.

I don't think the "representatives" in Sacramento know what's involved in the design of a product as complicated as a car and the incremental and iterative nature of the design cycles that lead to a working, reliable product, like a car. We're not going to have an electric car that can do what a gas car can do in the next 10 years. I can see all cars becoming hybrid in the next 20 years, but not all-electric, lol.

The buffoons who work in Sac. are idiots. and imo it is the citizens' fault, for being silent and allowing them to take over and propose these insane ideas.

rustynuts

First Name
daren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota sienna
While Americans are free to worship their vehicles in any immature and shallow fashion they wish, they have absolutely no right to force other Americans to worship them too. Loud pipes force themselves on others by nature, they have no choice to escape them when they intrude into their homes. Those that force loud pipes on other Americans are giving them the finger and saying " my life is more important than yours so screw you". Then they go around waving the flag saying how much they love their country. If the lack of civility, respect, and consideration for other Americans, especially in their own communities and homes, means patriotism.... then I'm not sure what country I'm in any more.

Our communities are full of elderly sick Americans that deserve as much peace and quiet as possible before they die, like my parents. But increasingly our streets are being used by some that are so impressed with themselves and their rides they have to blast through showing off their 0 to 60 times, their horsepower, and their "exhaust note" to the extent that we have gotten our police dept. involved. The shows on channels like Velocity seem to promote this irresponsible behavior. Companies like Magnaflow and Borla profit from destroying the quality of life of some Americans and encouraging louder and louder modifications.

Obviously we have laws that need to be policed because far too few Americans police themselves. Obviously the majority of Americans complained and therefore laws were created. But since the threat of a fix it ticket didn't make much of a difference the laws had to become more aggressive. Too many of us think we can do whatever we want whenever we want regardless of how it affects others around us. Does that make a nation great? Shouldn't the "greatest country on earth" produce the greatest people on earth?

If this new law doesn't make a difference you can guess what the next step will be can't you? Those vehicles that require smog testing will also require exhaust volume testing at the same time, is that what you want? Isn't it easier to just do the right thing?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's always been illegal to modify your exhaust system in California, at least as long as I can remember. Compared to the onerous CARB laws we need to comply with this is nothing. :)
Actually that's not true as long as you have a muffler and a cat. But were talknig about after the dp/fp

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got my first California modified exhaust ticket in 1995, I bet some here wern't born yet lol. It was the first of many. What changed is the option to pay the fine without fixing the exhaust.
I was born in 95 haha anyways cops didn't really care much back then tbh as much as they do rn. Guessing back then your ticket was hella cheap too.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It was cheap but I also earned only $4.25/hr working fast food lol. So not that cheap. But you're right they were not as hard core back then as they are acting now.
Truth is even now I don’t have to pay fee because I’ll get it written off at court with official documents of under 95db

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
While Americans are free to worship their vehicles in any immature and shallow fashion they wish, they have absolutely no right to force other Americans to worship them too. Loud pipes force themselves on others by nature, they have no choice to escape them when they intrude into their homes. Those that force loud pipes on other Americans are giving them the finger and saying " my life is more important than yours so screw you". Then they go around waving the flag saying how much they love their country. If the lack of civility, respect, and consideration for other Americans, especially in their own communities and homes, means patriotism.... then I'm not sure what country I'm in any more.

Our communities are full of elderly sick Americans that deserve as much peace and quiet as possible before they die, like my parents. But increasingly our streets are being used by some that are so impressed with themselves and their rides they have to blast through showing off their 0 to 60 times, their horsepower, and their "exhaust note" to the extent that we have gotten our police dept. involved. The shows on channels like Velocity seem to promote this irresponsible behavior. Companies like Magnaflow and Borla profit from destroying the quality of life of some Americans and encouraging louder and louder modifications.

Obviously we have laws that need to be policed because far too few Americans police themselves. Obviously the majority of Americans complained and therefore laws were created. But since the threat of a fix it ticket didn't make much of a difference the laws had to become more aggressive. Too many of us think we can do whatever we want whenever we want regardless of how it affects others around us. Does that make a nation great? Shouldn't the "greatest country on earth" produce the greatest people on earth?

If this new law doesn't make a difference you can guess what the next step will be can't you? Those vehicles that require smog testing will also require exhaust volume testing at the same time, is that what you want? Isn't it easier to just do the right thing?
Must be difficult being up on that high horse of yours. If you're so great why did you decide to generalize the entirety of people who want more performance or sound as disrespectful and immature? News flash, not everyone rockets up and down residential streets. Some folks take their cars to their local tracks to put it through its paces. Some just want a little more sound when they merge on the freeway. Seems a bit closed-minded to lump everyone into a single generalization.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag

This is your first post? You remind me of this Bill Burr clip.
"Absolutely reprehensible behavior!!"

Yes lets not make any of the "get off my lawn" folks mad and pretend hot rods didn't exist in the 50's. durdurdur. Laws aren't made because the majority of people agree with them, this law was clearly made for revenue collection. Do they have a Toyota sienna forum you can leave us all alone by going to?
Sponsored