California's new "loud" Exhaust Law (AB1824) - What are your thoughts?

Should AB1824 be a law?

• Yes

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 79 86.8%

• Total voters

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
As a person who lives on the opposite side of the country in VA you're probably wondering why im concerned about this law. Truth is I feel like as fellow enthusiasts, we should all be concerned about this utterly pointless money grab from the state of California. If some of you don't know, basically the Law that was in place before in California stated that if you are pulled over and your exhaust systems violated the 95 dB threshold, then you are issued a "fix it" ticket where you are supposed to resolve the issue and present it to an officer to avoid a fine. Seems simple and fair enough. Now however, the California police officers can now pull you over for violating this exhaust sound threshold, and fine you $1000!!!!! In contrast, violations that actually affect other people such as speeding, distracted driving, or reckless/aggressive driving do not even come close to this fine.

This is said to have been passed to fight street racing/"takeovers" when in reality, all it does is hurt the honest car enthusiasts out there who drive normally but are still subject to being fined this ridiculous amount. To give you some reference, a owner of a bone stock BMW M4 was recently pulled over with their completely stock exhaust for violating this law and was fined $1000 unless they fight it in court. There are MANY factory exhausts out there that will attract attention and violate this law. This doesn't really pertain much to Civics, but it just annoys the hell out of me that the government is doing this blatant money grab for a thing that doesn't really affect anybody if they drive normally. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I hate that a law like this exists and I'm not surprised at all to hear it's in California. I'm sure it will be a thing that pops up in other states all the way up to the point where electric cars become the norm. After that I assume someone will want to ban all gas powered vehicles, probably California, because who cares about enthusiasts right?

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
Here's some info:
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/chp.htm
The law is working to cite exhaust systems that are either modified by drilling holes, removing mufflers, installing by-passes or are in disrepair. Not to say that you couldn't be ticketed for having a proper stock exhaust because there is a lack of training on law enforcement's side. The person you cited in the BMW should fight this court because obviously the officer had no idea (lack of training).
I hear loud vehicles every day, some are stock and others maybe not. They should not be giving citations for an exhaust that is stock.

powerwing

First Name
Jacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Insane, just fight every ticket. But from what I know we have always had strict exhaust regulations, and it hasnt changed. Some youtube video popped up and went viral. I could be wrong.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah, CA's exhaust restrictions have always been pretty bad. But what makes me mad about this the most is the $1000 fine that they have for violating this law, but more serious things like reckless driving, driving while distracted and even speeding tickets take countless lives every year and the fines for these offenses are nowhere near $1000. Goes to show their priorities.

DoubleDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
If you guys think this exhaust law sucks, check out the new gun laws they passed =(

Anyone know if the Greddy SP exceeds 95 dbA? I can't find any info on this.

HammerSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
It's extortion, plain and simple. Governments pass arbitrary laws all the time under the pretense that it's for your "safety" or a "war" on this or that.
Seat belt laws are another example of an arbitrary law to "protect" you...from yourself! Sure, while a motorcycle cop writes the ticket?
No victim, no crime.
It's a tax, plain and simple and Cali is about the worst in the country. Forget Mexico, they should put a wall up around that commie state.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
It's extortion, plain and simple. Governments pass arbitrary laws all the time under the pretense that it's for your "safety" or a "war" on this or that.
Seat belt laws are another example of an arbitrary law to "protect" you...from yourself! Sure, while a motorcycle cop writes the ticket?
No victim, no crime.
It's a tax, plain and simple and Cali is about the worst in the country. Forget Mexico, they should put a wall up around that commie state.
Yeah thats why I dont get people who glorify California so much. In reality it SUCKS to live there. Overpriced housing, horrible traffic, horrible laws, and prone to all sorts of natural disasters. Nice to visit but would never live there. Love it over hear in VA on the east coast.

DoubleDown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I think they're trying to crack down on the takeovers. The takeovers are getting out of hand, and becoming dangerous. They started out in a few pockets here and there. Now they're everywhere, spreading out into other states as well. Either way, I think I'm screwed. lol

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
If you guys think this exhaust law sucks, check out the new gun laws they passed =(

Anyone know if the Greddy SP exceeds 95 dbA? I can't find any info on this.
Dont know the exact number but your probably fine. These turbo engines arent loud at all even if you try, as long as you dont floor it past a trooper, you'll be perfectly fine and I wouldn't worry.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I added a thread in So Cal and linked this one. My opinion is one bad apple spoils it for everyone else.

There was strong public outcry after the recent takeovers in LA, OC and SD. And it's making it bad for the rest of us who play by the rules. :(

That said, in my experience 95db is pretty loud lol. For most of us, it's going to be an annoyance fighting the ticket vs. actually having to pay the fine.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The main issue is; Cops are citing ANY modified exhaust system with the hopes that people just pay it. It is a money grab. They're not measuring a persons noise levels at all. They write a ticket and let a state ref or judge determine whether it's loud or not. They're handing out tickets to everyone because they have a better chance of collecting on it.
Sponsored