California's new "loud" Exhaust Law (AB1824) - What are your thoughts?

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. No

75 vote(s)
    87.2%
  1. jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    '18 Honda Civic EX, '18 BMW M550i, '13 Mercedes ML350
    As a person who lives on the opposite side of the country in VA you're probably wondering why im concerned about this law. Truth is I feel like as fellow enthusiasts, we should all be concerned about this utterly pointless money grab from the state of California. If some of you don't know, basically the Law that was in place before in California stated that if you are pulled over and your exhaust systems violated the 95 dB threshold, then you are issued a "fix it" ticket where you are supposed to resolve the issue and present it to an officer to avoid a fine. Seems simple and fair enough. Now however, the California police officers can now pull you over for violating this exhaust sound threshold, and fine you $1000!!!!! In contrast, violations that actually affect other people such as speeding, distracted driving, or reckless/aggressive driving do not even come close to this fine.

This is said to have been passed to fight street racing/"takeovers" when in reality, all it does is hurt the honest car enthusiasts out there who drive normally but are still subject to being fined this ridiculous amount. To give you some reference, a owner of a bone stock BMW M4 was recently pulled over with their completely stock exhaust for violating this law and was fined $1000 unless they fight it in court. There are MANY factory exhausts out there that will attract attention and violate this law. This doesn't really pertain much to Civics, but it just annoys the hell out of me that the government is doing this blatant money grab for a thing that doesn't really affect anybody if they drive normally. What do you guys think?

HammerSi thanked this.
  2. CVTsport18

CVTsport18 Honda First Timer

First Name:
    Derrick
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
    I hate that a law like this exists and I'm not surprised at all to hear it's in California. I'm sure it will be a thing that pops up in other states all the way up to the point where electric cars become the norm. After that I assume someone will want to ban all gas powered vehicles, probably California, because who cares about enthusiasts right?

jred721 thanked this.
  3. UnknownCTR

UnknownCTR Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic HB Sport
    Here's some info:
    http://www.bobsmuffler.com/chp.htm
    The law is working to cite exhaust systems that are either modified by drilling holes, removing mufflers, installing by-passes or are in disrepair. Not to say that you couldn't be ticketed for having a proper stock exhaust because there is a lack of training on law enforcement's side. The person you cited in the BMW should fight this court because obviously the officer had no idea (lack of training).
    I hear loud vehicles every day, some are stock and others maybe not. They should not be giving citations for an exhaust that is stock.

4. powerwing

powerwing Member

First Name:
    Jacy
    Car(s):
    Civic Sport Hatch
    Insane, just fight every ticket. But from what I know we have always had strict exhaust regulations, and it hasnt changed. Some youtube video popped up and went viral. I could be wrong.

5. OP
    jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    Yeah, CA's exhaust restrictions have always been pretty bad. But what makes me mad about this the most is the $1000 fine that they have for violating this law, but more serious things like reckless driving, driving while distracted and even speeding tickets take countless lives every year and the fines for these offenses are nowhere near $1000. Goes to show their priorities.

6. Zcfc3dc5

Zcfc3dc5 Senior Member

Steel inspector
    First Name:
    Zach
    Car(s):
    2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
    It’s just more typical liberal bullshit

JayDiem, Learn2turn, VooDuuChild and 2 others thanked this.
  7. DoubleDown

DoubleDown Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Sport 6MT
    If you guys think this exhaust law sucks, check out the new gun laws they passed =(

Anyone know if the Greddy SP exceeds 95 dbA? I can't find any info on this.

VooDuuChild thanked this.
  8. HammerSi

HammerSi Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si
    It's extortion, plain and simple. Governments pass arbitrary laws all the time under the pretense that it's for your "safety" or a "war" on this or that.
    Seat belt laws are another example of an arbitrary law to "protect" you...from yourself! Sure, while a motorcycle cop writes the ticket?
    No victim, no crime.
    It's a tax, plain and simple and Cali is about the worst in the country. Forget Mexico, they should put a wall up around that commie state.

9. OP
    jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    Yeah thats why I dont get people who glorify California so much. In reality it SUCKS to live there. Overpriced housing, horrible traffic, horrible laws, and prone to all sorts of natural disasters. Nice to visit but would never live there. Love it over hear in VA on the east coast.

HammerSi thanked this.
  10. DoubleDown

DoubleDown Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Sport 6MT
    I think they're trying to crack down on the takeovers. The takeovers are getting out of hand, and becoming dangerous. They started out in a few pockets here and there. Now they're everywhere, spreading out into other states as well. Either way, I think I'm screwed. lol

11. OP
    jred721

jred721 Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    Dont know the exact number but your probably fine. These turbo engines arent loud at all even if you try, as long as you dont floor it past a trooper, you'll be perfectly fine and I wouldn't worry.

12. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    I added a thread in So Cal and linked this one. My opinion is one bad apple spoils it for everyone else.

There was strong public outcry after the recent takeovers in LA, OC and SD. And it's making it bad for the rest of us who play by the rules. :(

That said, in my experience 95db is pretty loud lol. For most of us, it's going to be an annoyance fighting the ticket vs. actually having to pay the fine.

13. joshhjackson2112

joshhjackson2112 Senior Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    18' SI
    :agree::goodpost:

14. Civic Hatchback TRD Pro

Support Engineer
    Car(s):
    Slow 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
  15. NoKz

NoKz Speed Limit Tester

Car(s):
          2018 Si Coupe   2019 Si Sedan   2000 K24 Integra
    The main issue is; Cops are citing ANY modified exhaust system with the hopes that people just pay it. It is a money grab. They're not measuring a persons noise levels at all. They write a ticket and let a state ref or judge determine whether it's loud or not. They're handing out tickets to everyone because they have a better chance of collecting on it.