cabin filter

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
yesterday I went to the dealer to get a new cabin filter. The parts guy say's it's 37.50!!!!!!!!! WTF?????
I'm all for OEM parts instead of inferior aftermarket parts, but HOLY MOLY, 37.50! All it is is this little square paper filter. So I said no, thank you. Then went to O'reilly auto parts. They wanted 31.00. Then off to Auto Zone. They had an STP filter for 19.99 so I bought that. Compared it to the OEM filter (the original one I took out) and they look identical. The box the STP filter came in say's on it that it's manufactured to honda oem specs and it looks like that's true. Was going to go to Wallyworld next to see if they had it for even less but got tired of driving around.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yesterday I went to the dealer to get a new cabin filter. The parts guy say's it's 37.50!!!!!!!!! WTF?????
I'm all for OEM parts instead of inferior aftermarket parts, but HOLY MOLY, 37.50! All it is is this little square paper filter. So I said no, thank you. Then went to O'reilly auto parts. They wanted 31.00. Then off to Auto Zone. They had an STP filter for 19.99 so I bought that. Compared it to the OEM filter (the original one I took out) and they look identical. The box the STP filter came in say's on it that it's manufactured to honda oem specs and it looks like that's true. Was going to go to Wallyworld next to see if they had it for even less but got tired of driving around.
Another option... just leave it out.
They are a relatively new (15ish years or so) idea and honestly I don’t bother.
They really have a negligible effect on allergy reduction, ask me how I know, or interior dust accumulation.

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Seven to choose from at RockAuto. anywhere from $3.31 to $19.29. I've always used the cheap ones and never a problem.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
OP
OP

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
yea I see that I could've gotten a good one for a lot less. Anywhere from 3.00 to 12.00 dollars. whatever. Won't make the same mistake again. For what it's worth my old one which had 20k miles on it was completely packed with dirt and crap. So they must do something. After putting in the new one I ran the AC blower on high and the airflow coming out of the upper vents was way stronger than before.

Last edited:

HellaBagged

HellaBagged
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
yea I see that I could've gotten a good one for a lot less. Anywhere from 3.00 to 12.00 dollars. whatever. Won't make the same mistake again. For what it's worth my old one which had 20k miles on it was completely packed with dirt and crap. So they must do something. After putting in the new one I ran the AC blower on high and the airflow coming out of the upper vents was way stronger than before.
Yeah the guy saying he "leaves it out" is just getting good airflow and a face full of dust and all that stuff.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
A couple of years ago; the service adviser recommended a new one for my car. I said okay. Then I had to wait an extra 45 minutes while a runner from NAPA brought it to the dealership. I also bought the Eco one from Amazon listed above. Perfect fit.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I order mine from Hondapartsnow.com. They are $13.79. They are oem Honda filters for our cars
Honda Civic 10th gen cabin filter D60BDF07-BAF6-4F15-8FB3-7007688E3CCB

Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I paid about $15 on sale instead of $25 for mine from the dealership.

NHWhite2019SI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI sedan, 1997 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
On my wife’s old 2017 Civic, at the 15,000 miles check up (which was done at the dealership we got it from), I bought the air filter and cabin filter for $40 from the dealership and installed them right in the dealerships parking lot in seven minutes. The cabin filter definitely helps. My wife is allergic to almost everything (including me I think) and doesn’t sneeze, cough, and get watery eyes with one in.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yeah you definitely need the filter in place. If you do not have a filter then all that dust will clog up your evaporator and then you’ll have no flow. That’s why older vehicles that didn’t have these filters would clog up over time. I remember having to take mine out of my Isuzu rodeo so I could clean it. That job sucks. So yes always have a good filter in there. Saves you a headache later

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Get mine from the dealers parts dept, usually pay around $32-33 for the set of intake/cabin filters, about the same for my wife's Fit. Change the Civic every 10k, the Fit once a year. I like my dealer & mechanic BUT ain't paying anyone $20-40 for 5 minutes work with a screwdriver. Coming up on the 10k oil change, the new filters are waiting in the trunk. I tell my mechanic that they've been changed and he puts it into the service history. A mechanic with good skills and ability can really make out with the Flat-Rate system if they hustle, the consumer, not so much!
Sponsored