Buzzing sound when depressing clutch pedal at 5-6k rpm

phan10ms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R, '06 AP2 S2000
Country flag
I was able to address this issue. To compliment the post above, there was quite some free play with the clutch master cylinder connector which I could see why it would cause a buzzing sound with the right resonance coming from an engine that's revving high. I bent the clutch line slightly up and give the clutch master cylinder connector a bit more tension where it wouldn't just wiggle freely. I drove around for a bit and it appears that this issue is fixed!
Sponsored

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Forgot I had this issue until I went for a cruise on some backroads yesterday with another CTR. Will have to address this again.. hope the dealership can take care of it as I'm not comfortable doing any mechanical work yet. Too inexperienced!

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was able to address this issue. To compliment the post above, there was quite some free play with the clutch master cylinder connector which I could see why it would cause a buzzing sound with the right resonance coming from an engine that's revving high. I bent the clutch line slightly up and give the clutch master cylinder connector a bit more tension where it wouldn't just wiggle freely. I drove around for a bit and it appears that this issue is fixed!
Thanks for the update!

Is this something a novice can do? Or would it be better to just have a professional do it? I don't even know where that is in the picture so.

phan10ms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R, '06 AP2 S2000
Country flag
Thanks for the update!

Is this something a novice can do? Or would it be better to just have a professional do it? I don't even know where that is in the picture so.
You'll have to remove the battery to get to the clutch master cylinder. Highlighted in red you'll notice the nut has play which will rattle at that RPM range that's mentioned. Lift/bend the hard line highlighted in yellow in the direction indicated to eliminate the free play on the nut. Did that to mine and no more buzzing.

Honda Civic 10th gen Buzzing sound when depressing clutch pedal at 5-6k rpm clutchline

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ended up taking the car to the dealership this morning.

Saw the guy take my car out, and come back in shortly. Then silent for a bit, I guess working on the issue since it's so easy to reproduce. They left out again eventually and came back just as fast.

The issue isn't COMPLETELY gone. I can still feel it in my foot but it's much weaker, and the same with the buzzing sound. It's super quiet compared to how it was originally. They left the workorder open for me to monitor it and get back to them. Hoping it doesn't at least get worse, and I'll decide if I want to go back to get it adjusted again etc.

The issue is finding the time to do so.. especially with what's going on everywhere in the world right now.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to bump, but driving today I definitely heard this sound when accelerating and shifting above 5K.

Is it actually a problem or is it just something that's a nuisance?

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Sorry to bump, but driving today I definitely heard this sound when accelerating and shifting above 5K.

I believe it’s a more of a nuisance, if you can stand the rattling I don’t think there’s any harm being done by the line rattling against the body

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R 2015 Volvo XC60 3.0L polestar 2003 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab
Country flag

With anything that vibrates, it will inevitably wear something out. Whether it is a gasket, internal or external rubbing metal on metal causing metal wear, or air entering the system at some point. Then there is the irritating buzzing that over time will get worse.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With anything that vibrates, it will inevitably wear something out. Whether it is a gasket, internal or external rubbing metal on metal causing metal wear, or air entering the system at some point. Then there is the irritating buzzing that over time will get worse.
F. Then I guess I'll have to suck it up and get the dealer to look at it. The sound doesn't bother me too much, but if it's going to lead to something wearing out sooner than usual it makes no sense to leave it be.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or not, actually. I just did several (7+) high RPM (5500-6000) pulls while recording it and the noise I heard isn't there anymore. Here's one of the recordings where you don't hear anything.

:dunno:

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Or not, actually. I just did several (7+) high RPM (5500-6000) pulls while recording it and the noise I heard isn't there anymore. Here's one of the recordings where you don't hear anything.

:dunno:
Yeah I don't hear it there, strange...the issue was easy to reproduce for me, consistently rattling at every shift at or above 5k RPM, in any gear

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I don't hear it there, strange...the issue was easy to reproduce for me, consistently rattling at every shift at or above 5k RPM, in any gear
Yeah, when I heard it the sound was VERY distinctive... and I did nothing out of the ordinary except shift at high RPM.

On a positive note - no 2nd gear grind! Transmission has felt a lot better by shifting slower.

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Yeah, when I heard it the sound was VERY distinctive... and I did nothing out of the ordinary except shift at high RPM.

On a positive note - no 2nd gear grind! Transmission has felt a lot better by shifting slower.
The sound is really heard when running hondata , more HP :)

Snobrdr37

First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
You'll have to remove the battery to get to the clutch master cylinder. Highlighted in red you'll notice the nut has play which will rattle at that RPM range that's mentioned. Lift/bend the hard line highlighted in yellow in the direction indicated to eliminate the free play on the nut. Did that to mine and no more buzzing.

clutchline.jpg
I was dealing with this buzzing sound when the clutch was depressed around 4K-6k rpm. I have taken the car to Honda 4 different times. At first they thought it was the intermediate shaft. They replaced it. Did not resolve the sound. I just took it to Honda this weekend and now they told me I needed to change the clutch assembly. This was going to cost $2300. I didn’t believe it because I only had 16,000 miles on the car. I was fed up and I did exactly as above. The buzzing sound is gone. Easy fix!

unclediced

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

clutchline.jpg
So I just remove the battery and ill be able to access it? Sort of afraid to remove the battery and it effecting the electronics