Buyer's Remorse on Type R, anyone?

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I haven't bought a Type R yet, but as I have pretty much given up on being able to test drive one and am struggling to even find one I can buy at MSRP, I've been reading what I can about the Type R and I'm starting to feel some buyer's remorse even though I still have not bought one. So I thought I'd ask the forum if anyone who has taken delivery of their Type R has any actual buyer's remorse or really any observations that can help me decide if it is the right car for me.

I read one person sold their Type R after learning about the tire situation (stock tires only good for 10,000 miles, not to be driven under 40ºF, ~$1,200 to replace) and found another guy selling his saying it was an impulse buy and he just doesn't have room for it in his garage. I've been reading about problems with rev match, reliability problems with the infotainment system (including the electronic dashboard), and people finding the seats uncomfortable. I also find the body styling somewhat embarrassing to be seen in.

Looking further, I found that the OEM 20" wheels have a 60mm offset, and TireRack does not carry any compatible wheels with that offset. They also do not have any all-season or 3-season tires that fit the OEM wheels, and only 1 choice for snow tires. Except for the snow tires, all the tires they sell have warnings that they should not be driven under 40ºF or even stored at or below 20ºF. The only good news is that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is highly rated and has a 30,000 mile tread wear guarantee.

All of the above seems like no big deal if you are buying a Type R as a track car or 2nd (or 3rd) fun car, but as a daily driver in a 1-car house it gives me pause.

I need a new car ASAP, although I can rent for a few months if that is what it takes to get through the Type R waiting list. The thing is, I only have a 1-car garage and can really only afford to own 1 car, so it has to be a daily driver. I'd like it to be fun to drive as well, but the Type R seems to be pushing towards ridiculous. It also doesn't seem like a car I would be happy with for 5-10 years, which is about how long I keep my cars. (The last new car I bought I kept 16 years.)

I've been driving Acura Integras, but now that my latest one is gone and the few RSX's I can find under 100,000 miles are overpriced, I'm looking at the Civic Type R as a replacement. I looked at other Hondas as well, but reviewing their lineup and my complaints about the Integra it became apparent that a Civic Hatchback was really the best fit for how I use my car.

So I'm looking at the Type R and, for about $15,000 less, the Civic Hatchback Sport. That $15,000 is something I can afford, but does not come easily. I'm sure I would enjoy the bigger engine and better handling, and I would really appreciate having rev matching on my daily driver, particularly if I can turn it off for the weekend. But if the $15,000 is buying me more headaches, like seats (and tires) unfit for touring, a crappy, buggy infotainment system, and thousands more in annual maintenance, I question if it is worth it.

Of course, the biggest obstacles are the Honda dealers. So far, despite a month of trying, I have not been able to take a test drive in either Civic hatchback (Sport or Type R). The dealers apparently don't need to do test drives to sell the cars so they are generally opposed. It's nuts. (If anyone would be willing to let me drive their Type R or Civic Sport MT for an hour, I'd be very grateful. PM me.)

TL;DR Is the Civic Type R truly suited to be the one car I own for the next 5-10 years, or is it too fancy and finicky for a daily driver? Is the difference between the Civic Hatchback Sport and the Type R night and day, or business class versus coach? If I'm never going to take the car on the track, is the $15,000 premium for the Type R over the Sport a good value?
Sponsored

Last edited:

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
No, it isn't finicky, but you might want to wait for the 2018's - any new model has new model issues; so much more than night and day; and that is a value judgement that is up to you.

People will no doubt argue that the Si is at the value sweet spot amongst Civics, just like people used to argue that the GSR was the DC2 Inte sweet spot.

ETA: if I was in the market for a daily commute car that would never see the track, then I would want the base hatch, but with Honda Sensing and a CVT - and I'd switch tires/rims to Pilot Sport 4S for summer.

Last edited:

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I think the Type R is a compelling package at MSRP but is not a good value at ADM prices unless you are clearly a Honda fanboy and have to own the car. It's clearly not as well put together as some German cars in the range of some ADM pricing and well behind on features. As a poster above sad if you are second guessing the car now it's probably a sign you should probably get an SI and waits until the CTR is more widely available in 2019 or so.

OP
OP
LongRun

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you're already having remorse without even owning the car, don't get it.

If you're getting the Type R at ADM price, you can get way better vehicles than the Type R
I'm not really feeling remorse, just anxiety due to too much uncertainty. If I could just test drive each car for an hour I would feel a lot better about whatever decision I was making.

I loved my old cars so much that I had no second thoughts about taking a 6 week, 6,000 mile road trip. If the Type R makes me want to do that again, I won't be sweating the money. On the other hand, if the Civic Hatchback Sport makes me feel that way, too, I can do a lot of home improvement with the $15,000 I'm saving. And if the Type R feels like a money pit, I really want to feel like I'm spending money on something joyful.

No, it isn't finicky, but you might want to wait for the 2018's - any new model has new model issues; so much more than night and day; and that is a value judgement that is up to you.

People will no doubt argue that the Si is at the value sweet spot amongst Civics, just like people used to argue that the GSR was the DC2 Inte sweet spot.
I need a car now, can't wait for the 2018 (which I've heard for the Type R's will not have any changes worth waiting for, not even kinks worked out), but I think I can wait to get a '17 CTR for MSRP. I am a Honda fanboy, loved my Integras, and really want a sporty hatchback (which means the Si is out for me), but definitely do not feel a specific urge to own a Type R. My biggest, and most frequent complaint with every sedan I've owned is that I need more cargo capacity, and the most frequent deal killer in shopping for a car is lack of head room: the hatchback addresses both of those. Every car I've ever owned left me wishing I had more power, and I'm looking at the Type R as maybe breaking that chain, but I doubt it.

I've pretty much narrowed down my options to:
  • Type R at MSRP, hope to keep it 5-10 years or more, or trade for a 2019 or 2020 Type R which I would then keep for 10 years or more.
  • Civic Hatchback Sport, keep it either until the 2019 Type R comes out or, if I'm happy with it, 10-15 years
  • VW Golf GTI Sport, lease for 2-3 years, then buy 2019 or 2020 Honda hatch or possibly an Acura if they bring back the RSX or introduce a hot hatch.
  • Get lucky and find a 2005 or 2006 Acura RSX in great shape for a reasonable price, drive it until it dies, then look at the hot hatch landscape again.

What I'm trying to nail down with the help of the forum is if I should struggle to get the Type R now because it lives up to the hype and will be so much more fun than the Sport that I won't want to go those 2 years without it and/or the Civic Sport is a boring car and you will want to get rid of it sooner rather than later, or the Sport is a fun enough car, spend a fraction of the money you saved on some mods if you want, and if you get bored with it, the 2019 Type R will still be there and probably be a better all around deal.

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EF9 DC2 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Daily driving is no problem to and from work. Family car to run errands? Forget that. I brought the wife and kids to the shoe store to look for slippers for my daughter. Couldn't find the right ones so they wanted to go to Walmart. Yeah, you bet I parked on the other side of the lot whee there's no cars.

You need to be more cautious of certain things with it. However like I said, daily work car, THE BEST!

I would suggest against it for your situation. I personally didn't test drive it and wouldn't let anyone test drive it. I wanted a Mustang GT350, but after that Nurburgring time, i was sold on the Civic.

Last edited:

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I understand you need a car and the search can be frustrating, but here are my thoughts.

We are only on delivery wave 2 of probably 10, so car availability will increase. We are just getting started... The stock tires will last more than 10k miles if you are using the car on the street and get an alignment. Wheels closer to ET60 will be available from tirerack, probably in the spring (I e-mailed tirerack a few days ago about this).

Hondanight

First Name
Michael Wertz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
So read through your thread, and it sounds like you've made up your mind already. IMO I think you will be happy and pleasantly impressed/surprised with Hatchback sport 6spd. It meets all your criteria and won't give you all the worries of the CTR. Price wise I don't think the Si is worth it. Especially when you can "flash pro" the sport and get about the same power. I would say go Sport Touring but you can't get M/T in that trim. Go sport 6spd hatchback that's you

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Get the SI for the handling alone. Wait three years when these Type R's are coming off lease and then purchase as a second car. You arent missing a whole lot by not getting one right now.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
... What I'm trying to nail down with the help of the forum is if I should struggle to get the Type R now because it lives up to the hype and will be so much more fun than the Sport ...
My feeling is that there is not enough difference between the base hatch and the hatch sport to justify the additional cost, both up front and running (base 1.5t runs on regular, sport on premium).

As for the Type R, I think that it lives up to the hype. I have driven CivicX from the base 2.0 non-turbo LX (admittedly a loaner while my Type R waits for the wiring harness fix), the 1.5t, the Si, and the Type R. There is no comparison IMO. The Type R is at a totally different level. Whether that difference is worth $10k or $15k or whatever - that I cannot tell you. To me, all the other CivicX are, well, Civics - and there is nothing wrong with being a Civic, but I was never in the market for a Civic, or a commuter car, or a car as my only car. (I was looking for a hatchback, though.) I was looking for the kind of car that makes me want to wake up at 4am just so I can drive it on empty roads. The Type R is that kind of car for me, and I can put no dollar value on that feeling.

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EF9 DC2 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get the SI for the handling alone. Wait three years when these Type R's are coming off lease and then purchase as a second car. You arent missing a whole lot by not getting one right now.
Totally agree. I waited a few years to get my ITR as it was just not the right time.

OP
OP
LongRun

LongRun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was looking for the kind of car that makes me want to wake up at 4am just so I can drive it on empty roads. The Type R is that kind of car for me, and I can put no dollar value on that feeling.
That's what I'm talking about. If the Type R is that kind of car (and the rest of the Civic hatches are not), I don't want to wait another 2-3 years for it, and the premium over the Civic Sport is worth it. But there seems to be no shortage of love for the rest of the hatches and man is it frustrating that I cannot get a test drive:banghead:. How did everyone get comfortable spending $35k+ on a car they never drove?

And of course there is much more danger of the Type R getting stolen, an extra $1,200/year in insurance alone, and it's going to be my one and only car.

I don't expect to move in the next 10-15 years so I don't expect I will ever have a second car, CTR or not, due to lack of garage if nothing else.

From what I've read (because I cannot get a test drive) the Si is not the car for me. I really want a hatch and the Si does not seem enough of an improvement over the hatch Sport to make up for being a sedan.

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
The type r is not the car for you.. dont buy it. Your embarassed by the looks? Then i dont understand why you would even consider it. I got my type r 2 weeks ago.. no remorse here just happiness and excitement every drive.

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EF9 DC2 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The seats are perfect even on a distance drive, the tires are primo, and the infotainment is fine. You gotta realize that google auto and Apple CarPlay are going to be more and more significant factors in the infotainment arena.

I put my deposit on one after the Nurburgring lap. I knew it's what I wanted and still is. I don't care about the other cars and was the easiest car purchases I've had.

Cars get stolen and the civic is still up there in the top stolen car category. Whatever, why would that stop me from buying one?

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I haven't bought a Type R yet, but as I have pretty much given up on being able to test drive one and am struggling to even find one I can buy at MSRP, I've been reading what I can about the Type R and I'm starting to feel some buyer's remorse even though I still have not bought one. So I thought I'd ask the forum if anyone who has taken delivery of their Type R has any actual buyer's remorse or really any observations that can help me decide if it is the right car for me.

I read one person sold their Type R after learning about the tire situation (stock tires only good for 10,000 miles, not to be driven under 40ºF, ~$1,200 to replace) and found another guy selling his saying it was an impulse buy and he just doesn't have room for it in his garage. I've been reading about problems with rev match, reliability problems with the infotainment system (including the electronic dashboard), and people finding the seats uncomfortable. I also find the body styling somewhat embarrassing to be seen in.

Looking further, I found that the OEM 20" wheels have a 60mm offset, and TireRack does not carry any compatible wheels with that offset. They also do not have any all-season or 3-season tires that fit the OEM wheels, and only 1 choice for snow tires. Except for the snow tires, all the tires they sell have warnings that they should not be driven under 40ºF or even stored at or below 20ºF. The only good news is that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is highly rated and has a 30,000 mile tread wear guarantee.

All of the above seems like no big deal if you are buying a Type R as a track car or 2nd (or 3rd) fun car, but as a daily driver in a 1-car house it gives me pause.

I need a new car ASAP, although I can rent for a few months if that is what it takes to get through the Type R waiting list. The thing is, I only have a 1-car garage and can really only afford to own 1 car, so it has to be a daily driver. I'd like it to be fun to drive as well, but the Type R seems to be pushing towards ridiculous. It also doesn't seem like a car I would be happy with for 5-10 years, which is about how long I keep my cars. (The last new car I bought I kept 16 years.)

I've been driving Acura Integras, but now that my latest one is gone and the few RSX's I can find under 100,000 miles are overpriced, I'm looking at the Civic Type R as a replacement. I looked at other Hondas as well, but reviewing their lineup and my complaints about the Integra it became apparent that a Civic Hatchback was really the best fit for how I use my car.

So I'm looking at the Type R and, for about $15,000 less, the Civic Hatchback Sport. That $15,000 is something I can afford, but does not come easily. I'm sure I would enjoy the bigger engine and better handling, and I would really appreciate having rev matching on my daily driver, particularly if I can turn it off for the weekend. But if the $15,000 is buying me more headaches, like seats (and tires) unfit for touring, a crappy, buggy infotainment system, and thousands more in annual maintenance, I question if it is worth it.

Of course, the biggest obstacles are the Honda dealers. So far, despite a month of trying, I have not been able to take a test drive in either Civic hatchback (Sport or Type R). The dealers apparently don't need to do test drives to sell the cars so they are generally opposed. It's nuts. (If anyone would be willing to let me drive their Type R for an hour, I'd be very grateful. PM me.)

TL;DR Is the Civic Type R truly suited to be the one car I own for the next 5-10 years, or is it too fancy and finicky for a daily driver? Is the difference between the Civic Hatchback Sport and the Type R night and day, or business class versus coach? If I'm never going to take the car on the track, is the $15,000 premium for the Type R over the Sport a good value?
I appreciate your feedback & you have really good points :thumbsup: but based on what you express, I personally believe the CTR is not the car for you at the moment, unless you find one in a fair price & you're willing to live with the concequences of this car as daily.
Sponsored