Bumper stickout!

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Honestly, if it were me, I'd take it into the dealership. I had a similar issue on my 8th gen, and it ended up chipping away the paint from all the times I'd push it in and when it would come back out.
Exactly what happened to mine pretty much brand new. Mine looks exactly like the pictures. Touch up the paint & fixed it the best I & a body shop could. It was 1/4" out and is now under 1/8" but still bugs me.

We checked out all the clips & the bumper bracket and found no issues like the user above. Not sure if that would fix it for me. Might give it a go for $22.

Honda is just giving me the run around and typically paint warranties are not easy.

Check out the Civic production video. They slam that part of the bumper on. Maybe Ole' Betty hammer fist is busting everyone's bumpers! lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
did you have to take the bumper completly off to replace them pieces?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
In many cases the bumper clips aren't broken. It has to do with a defect in the clip attachment points. A body shop will separate one side (frame side I believe) and reattach. Best done by a bodyshop that is already familiar with the 10th gen.

SiX

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
There are a number of problems that cause fitment issues. If you know and trust the body shop it's always a good choice...however the assembly process is known to apply too much pressure on resisting clips which then fail. And the Honda dealers don't like to fix these issues as they blame them on customers. Filed a formal complaint with Honda of America, have a case number as it appears to be a manufacturing issue.

In this case several clips were found upon removal of the bumper. The clip on the headlight assembly was visibly broken before the repair, but the side marker was cracked and it appeared to warp the bumper plastic requiring it to be re-enforced to pass the 'vibration test.'

For fun, I'm fixing the old side marker clip assembly. Who knows, maybe it will accidentally get modeled and printed in carbon fiber to test our new 3D printers.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bumper stickout! IMG_20180526_173913

Honda Civic 10th gen Bumper stickout! IMG_20180527_113216

View attachment 99650

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
have this too...ANNOYING!
my car is only a few months old too!
I suppose I'll just fix it myself as the dealer will just break something else in the process...need to take the bumper off to change the grill & I've been thinking about swapping that out anyway...

any luck @SiX with Honda for your claim???

SiX

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
have this too...ANNOYING!
my car is only a few months old too!
I suppose I'll just fix it myself as the dealer will just break something else in the process...need to take the bumper off to change the grill & I've been thinking about swapping that out anyway...

any luck @SiX with Honda for your claim???
The Honda dealer agreed to fix my car at their 'certified body shop', but I was told it could take several days and would require me to leave it with the them. Instead, I removed the bumper and documented the root cause...then they offered to buy me the parts if I wanted to do it myself. Conveniently they screwed up the ordering process and billed me (instead of warranty it) so rather than interact with them further, I just paid for it myself and filed a formal complaint with Honda of America. Parts were about $25 for both pieces I needed.

I've heard others find issues with alignment of other components that exacerbate the problem, so it may be worthy of making them fix it if you've got a good dealer you trust. The body shop can tweak the placement/alignment issues (if they exist) and fix any broken hardware at the same time. It might reduce the chance of it reoccurring---that plastic isn't too forgiving.

Before and after pics...

Honda Civic 10th gen Bumper stickout! IMG_20170923_091631

Honda Civic 10th gen Bumper stickout! we2

Leveslady

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2018, Honda Type R 2021
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine was similar but not as bad. After popping everything out and re-positioning the clips, the alignment improved but still off. Overall, the fit and panel gaps on the car are less than impressive. I know its a Civic and not an NSX but Honda needs to address this stuff. I think the best quality is still coming from Japan. I had a 1st gen Fit and an S2000. Cars at different ends of the price spectrum and both were equally flawless in their assembly.

Interesting my Touring was manufactured in Japan. Wish me luck!

JeDaOn

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car had the same issue. The dealership after trying to pop the bumper back in place I had them replace the same bracket and it only fixed it for a couple days.

The service manager of the dealership involved sent me to a local Certified repair shop. They replaced multiple brackets and the front bumper.

The problem came back a week later. Ultimately the problem was the placement of the bracket below the headlight was not where it should've been from the factory.

To fix they had to remove the factory mounting hardware. Then had to use different bolts/adjusted the metal when it mounts to the car back to the proper alignment.

After that, I haven't had the issue since. It's something I look at every time I'm on that side of the car.

The Monday after my car was purchased, it was dropped off for a week and a half getting Paint Protection Film installed with 100 miles on the dash, then this problem pops up a month later. So I know the frustration.

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
...I removed the bumper and documented the root cause...then they offered to buy me the parts if I wanted to do it myself. Conveniently they screwed up the ordering process and billed me (instead of warranty it) so rather than interact with them further, I just paid for it myself and filed a formal complaint with Honda of America. Parts were about $25 for both pieces I needed.
I'd much rather perform minor warranty repairs myself. For example, I'll be replacing the brake switch in my Accord due to a recurring CMBS error message. The part is $20 delivered. This would be covered under warranty, but the time it takes me to drive to and from the dealer twice and wait (once to diagnose the problem and order the part then a second time to replace the part) is worth far more than $20. Plus, I don't have to worry about the dealer scratching or denting my car.

JeDaOn

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would agree for the most part but original posters car looks as bad as mine did before it made it to the bodyshop and mine was definitely the alignment of the bracket.

Personally I wouldn't mess with it until the dealership/body shop sees it.

It's been a little bit of a fight but honda is reimbursing me for the paint protection that needed to be replaced.

Everytime I brought the car in to get looked at I was asked if me or the shop that did the PPF took the bumper off...seemed like they were looking for an excuse originally.

JOEG_FK7

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have had this issue with my 2017 civic sport hatch touring as well..... I took it into the dealership I purchased the car from for a grill gap issue.... WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. Since then I've had this bumper gaps on the sides and they are driving me insane. I have been battling this issue with the dealership and Honda North America for the passed 6-7 months now and no improvement have been made. They "replace all the hardware" and ordered a new bumper and still have the same issue. Its been 2 weeks now for the 5th or 6th attempt and nothing. Honda North America brought down some rep to look at the car with his suit and tie looking all official trying to intimidate me.. At first they tried to say it's normal and it is part of the design so it can pass a front impact test or whatever and i was just baffled.... I never had heard such BS ever in my life. Every car except for ONE on the dealership didn't have this issue. I am still waiting to see what they tell me since the car is still at there "Honda certified shop" ...

I also have had this bumper issue with the rear bumper and that hasn't been touched at all.. just naturally sagging and its a new car.. They refuse to even touch it saying its normal..(Since I've been battling the front bumper issue) ummm...no it is no normal! I bought a new car so i can have a reliable safe car to drive and no longer have to deal with these issues.. and here I am with a brand new car with all the bells and whistles and the price tag that comes with it and am dealing with bumpers misalignment...
For all y'all dealing with this issue, DON'T GIVE UP! KEEP PUSHING! This isn't right no one with a 10 GEN civic should be dealing with this. It's a brand new car!!!!! It should all be covered under warranty and be FIXED under waranty!

Sorry for the rant everyone I just can't believe the BS Honda is throwing at us lately... So much for the "helpful honda guy"......
Stop marketing your BS and use your $$$ for production of Dependable cars!

OP
OP
aighead

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I went in to the dealership last week for my maintenance and crabbed, for the 2nd time (to the same lady, who said she hadn't seen the problem) and since it was relatively late in the evening their a-team wasn't there to take a look. Seems to me like this would be an issue that a company that makes cars for a living could take care of, rather than counting on body shops to do it. For what it's worth the lady did say she saw the issue, but I was advised to take it in early sometime to have the more experienced techs take a look. That's all well and good except for I hate leaving my car anywhere and they aren't inclined to give me a loaner... We'll see. It sucks but I just mostly stopped looking at it (and the plastic to metal color mismatch)...

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
Here's what I'm talking about... It'll press back into the proper spot but then pop right back out, it doesn't stay for any time.

20180309_110949.jpg
3yrs 36,000 miles, bumper to bumper, take it to a Honda dealer for a fix before too long.

OP
OP
aighead

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
3yrs 36,000 miles, bumper to bumper, take it to a Honda dealer for a fix before too long.
You've seemed to have missed the majority of the rest of this thread... The dealerships don't/can't/won't understand the real problem to fix it...

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
You've seemed to have missed the majority of the rest of this thread... The dealerships don't/can't/won't understand the real problem to fix it...
Not so much, I wouldn't accept that answer from a dealership and don't be a victim. If that ever happens again, ask for the Service Manager and walk them out to your car and show him/her the problem. If the Service Manager say's it's not covered under warranty (IF you are under 3yrs 36,000 miles) then you must politely let them know you are going to do 3 things. (1) take photos and write a letter to Honda North America, (2) Take the same photos and description and use social media, the Dealer probably has a Facebook Page where you can write on their wall. Also you can post here in the CivicX Forums AND, (3) on your local Community/Township Newspapers Facebook pages. All of that collectively is probably worth $25,000 of "negative publicity" in the sense that, if it has an impact on just 1 person, to not buy a car from X Dealer - then that Service Manager can make that decision, is not honoring your warranty worth $25,000 or more? It's an easy question to answer, but sometimes you have to show them the light...
Sponsored