Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
So I started building my own custom tune with ktuner. I’ve tuned with COBB, JB4, EFI LIVE, HPtuners and now I’m learning ktuner fir first time. I’ve used the other platforms fir years. I’ve used a torque management system as well in Cobb on focus rs. This Bosch ecu is very different. No wastegate dc map. There are a few things that did not seem to match in ktuner. Per example the tuner says turbo limit by air intake temp the web site says engine temp.
It seems to datalog as engine temp.
Regardless knowing what tuning graphs affect others is crucial. I’m not looking for a how to guide just peoples experience and sharing info.
My mods are bolt on only and I have 93 octane here.
Intake down pipe intercooler light weight 18x9.5 w 265/3518 Michelin Pilot Sport S4
. Before some very minor changes I had your typical 2nd gear traction control annoying multiple activation.
Now it just rips through it so now I’m not even thinking about hondata traction control.
I’m literally talking about changing some values as little as 2% yes 2 percent.
Anyone else w ktuner vocabulary welcome. I’m all ears. I’ve never used it till now but understanding their vocabulary is different. All tuners are different.
Ps my hope is to expand community knowledge. Not tune your car. Nor do I want any ktuner vs hondata wars cause of my one traction control comment. So please keep it civil don’t be a jerk.
THANK YOU
Sponsored

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you mean by “now it just rips through it”? Traction control implementation is a bit different in that it’s all gears and also in cornering not just standing start.

How did you get it to “just rips through it”?

OP
OP
Jpierro79

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
What do you mean by “now it just rips through it”? Traction control implementation is a bit different in that it’s all gears and also in cornering not just standing start.

How did you get it to “just rips through it”?
Traction control is unable to completely overcome the power so I get more wheel spin enough where it will not bog at all go look at hondata traction control video. You see 2nd gear traction control makes it bog 2 times in second gear.
I do NOT BOG AT ALL it’s way faster through second gear it has more power than traction control will reduce therefore it rips (slang for “like it isn’t there!!”) passed the rpm to 5200- 55k holds for or a second with just enough wheel spin that it doesn’t slow down at all.
I’m going to explain that traction control reduced a certain amount of torque and let’s say you have 300ftlbs it may reduce it by 20 percent you end up with 240ftlbs. if you have 360ftlbs at 20 percent you end up with 288ftpbs therefore it will overcome the bog and continue to spin. Torque spins tires higher rpm has less torque which is why often a car spin tires to a certain rpm the hangs at that rpm till tires catch up. most cars have less torque at higher rpms.
I am going to say this fir now I’m not explaining everything like this in the future fir those who read this please look up what I’m talking about and research as I did. 20 years as an automotive tech I didn’t get by from asking everyone I looked it up.
I want this to be simple forum I do not wish to explain everything

Reactions: Myx

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ok let me see if I understand your thread. You said that you don’t understand some things on ktuner and you dont want people’s advice on how to tune the ctr. But you want them to share their experience with tuning ktuner? Im confused do you want help on understanding the platform?

Regarding traction control you can tweak the ktuner so you dont lose traction on the first 3 gears. But that will only help you on a straight line and perfect conditions. Hondata TCM is different it doesn’t only help you on a straight line it does help at corners, its tweak-able and its apart from the torque tables. Its a matter of choice if you dont care about cornering you dont need it. Bot platforms can put down the same power its the features what makes them different.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Traction control is unable to completely overcome the power so I get more wheel spin enough where it will not bog at all go look at hondata traction control video. You see 2nd gear traction control makes it bog 2 times in second gear.
I do NOT BOG AT ALL it’s way faster through second gear it has more power than traction control will reduce therefore it rips (slang for “like it isn’t there!!”) passed the rpm to 5200- 55k holds for or a second with just enough wheel spin that it doesn’t slow down at all.
I’m going to explain that traction control reduced a certain amount of torque and let’s say you have 300ftlbs it may reduce it by 20 percent you end up with 240ftlbs. if you have 360ftlbs at 20 percent you end up with 288ftpbs therefore it will overcome the bog and continue to spin. Torque spins tires higher rpm has less torque which is why often a car spin tires to a certain rpm the hangs at that rpm till tires catch up. most cars have less torque at higher rpms.
I am going to say this fir now I’m not explaining everything like this in the future fir those who read this please look up what I’m talking about and research as I did. 20 years as an automotive tech I didn’t get by from asking everyone I looked it up.
Then that’s not Traction Control that you are doing. If I’m reading right you’re just reducing torque. How is it measuring wheel spin? How is it comparing side to side wheel spin AND front and rear - yes rear spin when in corners which OEM car does measure. What’s the input variable? Reducing torque in any gear is easy. Retarding ignition based on input variables is not.

Yes I know what traction control is. I have Hondata and have been doing lots of testing for over a year. And no, there is no bogging and there are two modes of traction control for different tires in different types of launches.

Trying to understand what you’re doing since you’re posing the question.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i noticed advanced vsa can only limit it so much and in slippery conditions you can over power it so it spins no matter what.

back to the op's question.. i am interested in the engine temp vs intake temp question too.
kinda makes sense to use intake temp as well as engine temp. but i could see intake temp only being used.
sory, not a definitive answer. need real skill to answer this i think. @KTuner ?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I started building my own custom tune with ktuner. I’ve tuned with COBB, JB4, EFI LIVE, HPtuners and now I’m learning ktuner fir first time. I’ve used the other platforms fir years. I’ve used a torque management system as well in Cobb on focus rs. This Bosch ecu is very different. No wastegate dc map. There are a few things that did not seem to match in ktuner. Per example the tuner says turbo limit by air intake temp the web site says engine temp.
It seems to datalog as engine temp.
Regardless knowing what tuning graphs affect others is crucial. I’m not looking for a how to guide just peoples experience and sharing info.
My mods are bolt on only and I have 93 octane here.
Intake down pipe intercooler light weight 18x9.5 w 265/3518 Michelin Pilot Sport S4
. Before some very minor changes I had your typical 2nd gear traction control annoying multiple activation.
Now it just rips through it so now I’m not even thinking about hondata traction control.
I’m literally talking about changing some values as little as 2% yes 2 percent.
Anyone else w ktuner vocabulary welcome. I’m all ears. I’ve never used it till now but understanding their vocabulary is different. All tuners are different.
Ps my hope is to expand community knowledge. Not tune your car. Nor do I want any ktuner vs hondata wars cause of my one traction control comment. So please keep it civil don’t be a jerk.
THANK YOU
You know actual tuners have the dealer version that gives you access to all tables

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag

So you don't want to "tune our cars" or give a detailed explanation about what you're up to. So...what do you want from us? Maybe the people on here with the info you require won't want to go into detail either. Maybe they'll tell you to go look it up yourself because they didn't get it by asking. Sounds like you don't know how to effectively tune on KTuner and should leave the job to a professional. Doesn't matter how many platforms you've tuned on or how many years of auto tech experience you have under your belt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jpierro79

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
)
5)\(!
So you don't want to "tune our cars" or give a detailed explanation about what you're up to. So...what do you want from us? Maybe the people on here with the info you require won't want to go into detail either. Maybe they'll tell you to go look it up yourself because they didn't get it by asking. Sounds like you don't know how to effectively tune on KTuner and should leave the job to a professional. Doesn't matter how any platforms you've tuned on or how many years of auto tech experience you have under your belt.[/QUOTE
So you don't want to "tune our cars" or give a detailed explanation about what you're up to. So...what do you want from us? Maybe the people on here with the info you require won't want to go into detail either. Maybe they'll tell you to go look it up yourself because they didn't get it by asking. Sounds like you don't know how to effectively tune on KTuner and should leave the job to a professional. Doesn't matter how any platforms you've tuned on or how many years of auto tech experience you have under your belt.
So you don't want to "tune our cars" or give a detailed explanation about what you're up to. So...what do you want from us? Maybe the people on here with the info you require won't want to go into detail either. Maybe they'll tell you to go look it up yourself because they didn't get it by asking. Sounds like you don't know how to effectively tune on KTuner and should leave the job to a professional. Doesn't matter how any platforms you've tuned on or how many years of auto tech experience you have under your belt.
I asked not to be a jerk and that’s exactly what your doing read my first post!!!!!!
My tune I’m going to tell you how to tune your car so you can screw it up and blame me?!! Especially cause all your doing us trolling!!
Your are one if he reasons I regret even bothering to post in Honda forums. No other forums pull this freebie crying crap Blane it on everyone else know it all but never say anything but Honda. If you don’t now jack about tuning which clearly you don’t cause Cobb is 100 times more complicated than itinerary along with hptuners as well. Try adjusting over 100 parameters not little graph sections I’m talking 100 different charts for one tune while ktuner doesn’t even have 30.

If I have to say this crap one more time I’m closing this thread I’m not HERE TO GIVE AWAY A FREE TUNE NOR TUNE YOur CAR FOR FREE
I NEVER SAID I WIUKD SHARE INFO
I WILL SHARE IF YOU HAVE A CLUE.
If you adjust it and blow it up it’s your fault. THATS WHY IM NOT TUNING FOR YOU!!

OP
OP
Jpierro79

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
I’ll explain one parameter that is not used here.
waste gate duty cycle. It’s not calculated like si.
The ecu requests torque by throttle. Then in combination with that torque request other tuning graphs are crossed to create boost.
Here’s some limiting factors that stop the turbo from building more boost.
Turbo speed limitation by both intake temp and engine temp. Turbo pressure by altitude. Basically air density or true altitude. Includes higher temps that cause thinner air. Torque safety limitations both sport mode and max. Percentage only. If you increase whichever value is limiting you more boost can be achieved. You have to know what’s safe!!!!
The computer constantly calculates duty cycle based on these parameters. BMW use the same along with some of focus RS parameters Cobb tuning. Gm will use torque calculator to cut power for drivetrain safety. Even manual transmissions have limited values in hptuners it must be adjusted. Hptuners everything can be adjusted. Map every sensor even has the ability to change the limitations to set check engine light. Not just turn it off ,actual full calibration of almost every individual sensor. Not tuning / actual calibration so you can use any sensor as long as it’s 5volt will wire up and you know what parameters are. VW uses torque style boost wastegate and that’s probably why Cobb doesht release it to the public. You can’t even use Cobb without taking the efi 101 course which is 2 hours long even if your fully knowledgeable and you can’t get one question wrong either.
Trust there’s not one simple average joe question like why do we add more fuel than the burn able mixture under high loads and even more in forced induction.

If you noticed there are times you hit less boost in colder temps you probably maxed out somewhere. I suggest you tune during hot months as you’ll know if your wastegate duty cycles are over 90 percent and boost is dropping you know the turbo is maxed out. Provided your not limited by IAT ECT torque request it max torque saftey limit.

Reactions: Myx

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ll explain one parameter that is not used here.
waste gate duty cycle. It’s not calculated like si.
The ecu requests torque by throttle. Then in combination with that torque request other tuning graphs are crossed to create boost.
Here’s some limiting factors that stop the turbo from building more boost.
Turbo speed limitation by both intake temp and engine temp. Turbo pressure by altitude. Basically air density or true altitude. Includes higher temps that cause thinner air. Torque safety limitations both sport mode and max. Percentage only. If you increase whichever value is limiting you more boost can be achieved. You have to know what’s safe!!!!
The computer constantly calculates duty cycle based on these parameters. BMW use the same along with some of focus RS parameters Cobb tuning. Gm will use torque calculator to cut power for drivetrain safety. Even manual transmissions have limited values in hptuners it must be adjusted. Hptuners everything can be adjusted. Map every sensor even has the ability to change the limitations to set check engine light. Not just turn it off ,actual full calibration of almost every individual sensor. Not tuning / actual calibration so you can use any sensor as long as it’s 5volt will wire up and you know what parameters are. VW uses torque style boost wastegate and that’s probably why Cobb doesht release it to the public. You can’t even use Cobb without taking the efi 101 course which is 2 hours long even if your fully knowledgeable and you can’t get one question wrong either.
Trust there’s not one simple average joe question like why do we add more fuel than the burn able mixture under high loads and even more in forced induction.

If you noticed there are times you hit less boost in colder temps you probably maxed out somewhere. I suggest you tune during hot months as you’ll know if your wastegate duty cycles are over 90 percent and boost is dropping you know the turbo is maxed out. Provided your not limited by IAT ECT torque request it max torque saftey limit.
yeah not true DRob who is probably the best 10th Gen Civic tuner out there rn has the dealer version of Ktuner as do every other licensed tuner.
Honda Civic 10th gen Building ktuner custom tune Tuner.PNG

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
)
5)\(!

I asked not to be a jerk and that’s exactly what your doing read my first post!!!!!!
My tune I’m going to tell you how to tune your car so you can screw it up and blame me?!! Especially cause all your doing us trolling!!
Your are one if he reasons I regret even bothering to post in Honda forums. No other forums pull this freebie crying crap Blane it on everyone else know it all but never say anything but Honda. If you don’t now jack about tuning which clearly you don’t cause Cobb is 100 times more complicated than itinerary along with hptuners as well. Try adjusting over 100 parameters not little graph sections I’m talking 100 different charts for one tune while ktuner doesn’t even have 30.
If I have to say this crap one more time I’m closing this thread I’m not HERE TO GIVE AWAY A FREE TUNE NOR TUNE YOur CAR FOR FREE
I NEVER SAID I WIUKD SHARE INFO
I WILL SHARE IF YOU HAVE A CLUE.
If you adjust it and blow it up it’s your fault. THATS WHY IM NOT TUNING FOR YOU!!

Pro tip: You should work on your grammar before you work on your car. Please do us all a favor and follow through on your threat to close this thread. Feel free to start another when you grenade your motor.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
OMG. has this forum turned into a gathering of nay sayers and nit pickers? (other than LilTutu17 etc.)
this is disgusting. all i see is a legitimate quest for info followed by grammer critiques and negative repressionist responses.

if you don't want to add to the info request then stfu. you are ruining the forum by venting your negative emotions by attacking the op like this.

to the english majors; i ain't gonna say it perfrectly all da tyme. so get a life.

to the ppl that read this as some grab for stupid information or a detune situation; get a life. take a breath and read the spirit of the post.

/rant off. op, i apologize for hijacking the thread for a rant. i will delete this post if you ask.
Sponsored