Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
So now that Spring is here and its warmed up, bugs are everywhere. I literally need to Windex the windshield every day.

How do you guys recommend cleaning off all the bugs and crap on the front bumper? Any favorite products or tips?

This is after not washing for a week.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bugs 29vjrwm

Honda Civic 10th gen Bugs 2lo42kx

Thanx fellas.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
If possible, rinse off the front with strong pressure every night. Bug residue will eat through clear coat, so it's best to remove as best as you can. Coats of wax will help with that process as well.

If you really wanna go all-out, you can get the front wrapped in a clear-bra, but that's $$$.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, im starting to run into the bug problem too now. The first couple days i was getting them i was using Meguiars ultimate quik detailer and they were coming off pretty easily. I did just wax the car a couple weeks ago so that probably helps. I saw a couple products at Walmart, one from Turtle Wax and I think another from Meguiars that are specifically for getting bugs off the car. I cant help but think that they also strip wax off the car though..

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, im starting to run into the bug problem too now. The first couple days i was getting them i was using Meguiars ultimate quik detailer and they were coming off pretty easily. I did just wax the car a couple weeks ago so that probably helps. I saw a couple products at Walmart, one from Turtle Wax and I think another from Meguiars that are specifically for getting bugs off the car. I cant help but think that they also strip wax off the car though..
Yeah those bug and tar removers are pretty harsh. Where as the quick detailer cleans and leaves some wax behind, I'd stick with that method :thumbsup:

Windex works good for stubborn bugs too, then throw some fresh wax down ;)

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I've personally just used either Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere, or Chemical Guy's ECO Smart Waterless Car Wash, and they came off pretty easily. The most I've left the bugs caked on the bumper though was about 3 days, so hopefully a week doesn't make it stubborn to get them off - but those two products have worked well for me personally.

I do, however, try to use these as soon as I see bugs on my car to prevent them from caking in. I just got lazy one time and left them on for 3 days :/

Honda Civic 10th gen Bugs 61-3MtQRl+L._SL1000_

Windshield on the other hand, has been a pain for me! I mentioned it on another forum, where I tried to wash off bugs off my windshield using glass cleaner, it would leave smears and smudges. But when I simply use a rag and water, it cleans right off. However, there's no protection on that and I have to either apply some glass protection, or just simply deal with having to just wash the windshield with a rag and water.

So now that Spring is here and its warmed up, bugs are everywhere. I literally need to Windex the windshield every day.

How do you guys recommend cleaning off all the bugs and crap on the front bumper? Any favorite products or tips?

This is after not washing for a week.

Thanx fellas.

OP
OP
Billy4202

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
I've personally just used either Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere, or Chemical Guy's ECO Smart Waterless Car Wash, and they came off pretty easily. The most I've left the bugs caked on the bumper though was about 3 days, so hopefully a week doesn't make it stubborn to get them off - but those two products have worked well for me personally.

I do, however, try to use these as soon as I see bugs on my car to prevent them from caking in. I just got lazy one time and left them on for 3 days :/

61-3MtQRl+L._SL1000_.jpg

Windshield on the other hand, has been a pain for me! I mentioned it on another forum, where I tried to wash off bugs off my windshield using glass cleaner, it would leave smears and smudges. But when I simply use a rag and water, it cleans right off. However, there's no protection on that and I have to either apply some glass protection, or just simply deal with having to just wash the windshield with a rag and water.
I've been using the same Meguiar's product as well...I guess I just need to keep up with it more often. It's just been crazy how quickly they've accumulated because this literally wasn't an issue a week ago lol.

Windex has been working fine on the windshield, just have to scrape at it a bit. I've been using shop towels, not paper towels, so that may make a difference. I may start using RainX to help a little too.

OP
OP
Billy4202

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
  • Banned
If possible, rinse off the front with strong pressure every night. Bug residue will eat through clear coat, so it's best to remove as best as you can. Coats of wax will help with that process as well.

If you really wanna go all-out, you can get the front wrapped in a clear-bra, but that's $$$.
Yeah, I have access to a hose at my apartment complex, I may have to start giving that a shot in between times I can hit it with a waterless wash/wax, and just start being more diligent in general. First darker car, more upkeep...

evildoer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed MSM

61-3MtQRl+L._SL1000_.jpg

I'll have to agree with you sir, that Ecosmart does wonders! For windows I use Invisible Glass cleaner and newspapers, seems to work good for me.

@Billy4202 expect more bugs! Summer's got them big ones too lol

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Newspapers? I've heard it mentioned before but never really looked more into it. Using the newspaper as a rag rather than a towel?

I'll have to agree with you sir, that Ecosmart does wonders! For windows I use Invisible Glass cleaner and newspapers, seems to work good for me.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Newspapers? I've heard it mentioned before but never really looked more into it. Using the newspaper as a rag rather than a towel?
I actually have some ArmorAll glass cleaner sitting around in my garage that recommends using newspaper on the back of the bottle. I haven't tried it yet, but im curious.

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
Newspapers are made of dense fibers that contain no solid, scratching materials like silica or calcium carbonate. Compared to paper towels, newspaper fibers are more rigid and will not separate and cause lint. More than 90% of U.S. papers switched from petroleum-based ink, which caused stains and smears, to the cheaper, smear-free alternative of soy-based ink by 2000. The switch rendered the newspaper perfect for multi-purpose use

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
Always used newspapers to clean mirrors and such in the house as a kid even. They worked well and they were pretty much free.
Sponsored