1. Kevin29

Kevin29 Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    2015 BRZ Honda CRV
    #1 Kevin29, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    i was curious if anyone ever traded in a frs brz for a Type R. I was wondering if i would miss the rawness of the BRZ, i am sure the increased power may make up for it. i really miss my old S2k and i am thinking about going back into a Honda due to had great reliability and really enjoyed my 2000 and 2008 Si even though they were autocrossed and track raced i never had any issues. i test drove an 18 Si but i felt it lacked the road feel i have with the BRZ , but it had great torque and a great manual transmission but seemed to run out of gas fast as compared to the 08 I had.

2. OneSickFK8

OneSickFK8 Senior Member

First Name:
    Jae
    Car(s):
    PMM FK8
    I mean it's a slow BRZ. You can still drift in +R mode. Go test drive a CTR and I bet you won't even remember the BRZ.

3. Poweredbyhonda

Car(s):
    00prelude
    I went from BRZ to Type R, don’t miss the Sub at all. The power and ride quality is so much better in the R.

4. Si_chRis

Si_chRis Senior Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Car(s):
    2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
    #4 Si_chRis, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    I previously owned a 2016 BRZ Limited. Bought it brand new with 13 miles, traded it in with 80K miles. I definitely miss the looks of the car as well as the precise, light and nimble driving characteristics, but that is about it.

I had a bunch of reliability issues with the drivetrain such as the typical timing cover/cam carrier oil leak at around 40K miles (engine had to be removed to repair it via warranty), OCV/cam sensor issues throwing numrous CELs at around 60K-65K miles (I replaced all four sensors on my dime since I was out of the powertrain warranty), and the dreaded clutch release bearing that started to fail at around 70K miles (I had a new Subaru clutch kit, release bearing, and transmission snout sleeve installed on my dime since I was again out of the powertrain warranty). Before I traded the car in, I also noticed both of my valve cover gaskets were starting to seep oil. I also had an interior issue with the driver seat in where the leather ripped prematurely on the bottom seat cushion. With the car being less than 3 years old and having all these issues, I decided to dump the car.

Needless to say, I will never own another Subaru.

Since getting the Type R, I have not looked back. The Type R corners just as well but you feel the weight and size difference. The Type R's steering feel in the three modes do not match the BRZ's steering directly but closest is sport mode in the Type R. The Type R shifter feels very good and precise, similar to the BRZ but it is not a direct rod connected transmission shifter like in the BRZ. I think the most obvious is that the Type R has the engine power that overtakes all other aspects, and completes the package for me along with the Honda reliability.

Here was my BRZ:
    IMG_20181021_113247.jpg

5. MstrSHAKE

MstrSHAKE Senior Member

First Name:
    Adrian
    Car(s):
    '19 CW CTR
    i came from a 2014 brz ltd. I cant say i miss it other than the direct shifter to transmission and that raw feeling. Oh and maybe being so low to the ground.

Speed is no comparison. Handling too. Type r is just about better in every category BUT oddly enough i feel less comfortable driving the R. Thats just me and my setup issues though.

the brz was fun light and nimble but the R is a monster in comparison

Meat Hammer, Kevin29 and fatherpain thanked this.
  6. wildbilly32

wildbilly32 Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 Toyota Rav4, 05 Porsche C4S, 2019 CTR PMM #24184
    Keep the BRZ and buy the CTR. I don't have any experience with the BRZ, but you're never too young to start collecting fun cars! I have watched BRZ's pylon race and was not impressed, however, that could have been the drivers.

Kevin29 thanked this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Kevin29

Kevin29 Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    2015 BRZ Honda CRV
    Wow, didn't realize the newer BRZ still had alot of issues, i thought that it was just the 13s and 14s. Yeah hard to beat honda reliability, i tracked etc my both my 2000 and 2008 Si and also my S2k with no issues at all. Thanks for the info guys!! and sorry to beat a dead horse, i did read some other similiar posts also on here and the answers seem the same. LOL

8. boosted180sx

boosted180sx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2019 370Z Nismo, '16 ILX
    keep in mind you are on a civic forum. the brz forum guys might say something different.

Me personally? I'd trade it in. A BRZ in stock form is just way too slow for me.

Meat Hammer, MutatedMango and Kevin29 thanked this.
  9. omar0123

omar0123 Senior Member

First Name:
    Omar
    Car(s):
    2019 type r
    I think brz is comparable to a civic si not to a ctr just not a fair comparisons type r is track ready car

MutatedMango thanked this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Kevin29

Kevin29 Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Car(s):
    2015 BRZ Honda CRV
    i was thinking of going intake header and tune in spring if i keep it to help that department, but prob will ruin the daily ability of the car due to how loud it prob will get lol and even with those i think still less than 200hp on a dynojet. :(

11. boosted180sx

boosted180sx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2019 370Z Nismo, '16 ILX
    I think your only choice would be a force induction kit to get over 200hp lol. Or maybe a full bolt on with E85. but if you kept it NA, the engine really doesn't have any character. No VTEC kind of feel nor change in note while your revving it up so it's a really boring engine.

I was looking at the BRZ TS when i bought the Z. But it was too expensive for the car you get and the only way for me to be happy with the output was to get a turbo kit for it. I don't mind adding boost to it but being in cali, i just didn't want to deal with the hassle of smog anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I like the BRZ and i think it looks really good. It's just not in the same class as a CTR performance wise and COST wise also. I would only keep the BRZ if you must have a RWD car or don't want to spend the extra money to get into a CTR.

12. samji

samji Senior Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Car(s):
    2019 CW Type R, 2017 Bolt
    The Type R is reliable but I don't think it would be accurate to juxtapose it with older Si's.

At the end of the day it's still a turbo car, so you need to set your expectations accordingly. The fact that it runs a peak boost pressure of 23.5 on a relatively small turbo, you can't expect it to be reliable as an NA 4-banger. I think relatively speaking, it's reliable compared to many competitors out there. But I don't think it's at the level of reliability of the older NA hondas.

Meat Hammer and Kevin29 thanked this.
  13. Putrid Pete

Putrid Pete Member

Car(s):
    Civic Type R, Scion FRS
    I'll be contrary to everyone here. I went from a lowered 2013 FRS. Never had any issues, but I traded out of it when the valve spring recalls came out. The type R is definitely faster, and performs better. BUT, as far as fun factor the FRS was actually better in some ways. First, and obviously, RWD vs FWD. Secondly, less power means you can wind it out, and row through the gears constantly without getting a ticket. With the Type R, you're at highway speed before even shifting out of 3rd.

So while I LOVE my type R, I would never say the FRS isn't better in some ways. It really depends what you want out of a car. There's a reason there's so many Miatas and FrBrGt86s on the road. They're incredibly fun cars.

14. NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema Senior Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    2017 M2, 2005 WRX Wagon, 2013 X5M
    I'll pay you cash money if you buy the Type R and don't do anything but laugh at the idea that you would miss the BRZ. Totally different caliber of car, not even the same league.

Kevin29 thanked this.
  15. samji

samji Senior Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Car(s):
    2019 CW Type R, 2017 Bolt
    The BRZ is technically a more focused sports car than the type R. When you say different league, I'm thinking BRZ would be the true sports car while the Type R is in a gray area in between. Type R makes a lot more sacrifices for comfort and practicality than the BRZ platform. Sure, the FK8 has more sophisticated suspension and a stout engine but those are things the CTR engineers had to do to make a practical 4 door hatch back handle well and make it fun in the process. The BRZ/86 is a simple RWD car that has tech that has been tried and true. Not to mention Type R's performance is very picky about road surfaces. Put the type R on a slick wet road and all of the power and handling goes out the window. Any RWD car that's decently balanced will be able to rotate in wet surfaces a lot more efficiently than a FWD car.

Not insisting that Type R is better than BRZ/86 or vise versa, they're just different cars for different people, and for different purposes.

Meat Hammer and FlexRex thanked this.