Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys,

I know it's been a little while since I've been able to update you on the progress of this project, and as I hinted at before, our production sample is in, so now it's time for a closer look at the design!

For the full write up, head over to our Engineering Blog.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D 082117_NLT_CivX_INT_WEB_1

To recap from our design process, we were limited on space. "Bigger is Better" is mostly always true when it comes to intercoolers, but due to the densely packed front end in the 10th generation Civics, when had to get creative with just how we were going to in crease the size. Our main option was to go up. We added 3 additional rows to the height, and, while being limited in the space we could expand the width, we added 26mm to the core's thickness. All of this equates to a total core volume of 637in³, a 102% increase over the stock unit.
Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D 100217_NLT_CivX_INT_WEB_5

With effectively doubling the internal volume, we had to make sure it would fit. So, we called again on our Rallye Red Sport Hatch loaner vehicle to help up not only double check our fitment, but also put some time in on the dyno for performance testing. Even though we went over the step of fitment in the design process, it never hurts to double check:
Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D 082117_NLT_CivX_INT_WEB_17

We also enlisted the help of an Si sedan:
Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D 100217_NLT_CivSI_INT_WEB_3

Not to worry for those of you sporting the EX-T front fascia, we got our hands on one of those bumpers during the design process as well. Since the overall design has remained the same, we can gladly report that our intercooler will fit those models as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D 082917_NLT_CivX_INT_WEB_2

Since we collected a massive amount of data on the testing for this core, and the piping, the specific dyno numbers will be coming in a separate post coming very soon! The Civic's intercooler piping is also getting a make over as well, make sure to check out our other thread for more info on that project.

For more info on the 1.5T intercooler, make sure to check out the full write up on our Engineering Blog.

Thanks for following along, and as always, feel free to shoot me any questions you might have!

-Nick

omfgerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I'm getting pretty antsy to show you guys the data! It's still in the crunching phase, but should be all processed this week!

We're still deciding on that going forward, our samples did have our logos painted on the front and it looks sharp behind the bumper, so there's a good chance they're going to stay plain :)

-Nick
I actually think having your logo painted on would look sick!! Everything is subjective but maybe make one style plain and one with logo on it for each type of person!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
I actually think having your logo painted on would look sick!! Everything is subjective but maybe make one style plain and one with logo on it for each type of person!
As I just heard from the project manager, we are actually planning on doing at least the black logo on the silver intercoolers. We're waiting on some examples from our factory before we make the final decision on that ;)

-Nick

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
As I just heard from the project manager, we are actually planning on doing at least the black logo on the silver intercoolers. We're waiting on some examples from our factory before we make the final decision on that ;)

-Nick
I like the idea of including a stencil so people can do it themselves if they choose.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
These new intercoolers look great, and I can't wait to hear and see more when they are finally released.

OEM's typically use intercoolers that are cheaper to manufacture and easier to fit in the car. They don't necessarily think about performance first and foremost. They give you a core that's good for the car as it's bought. When you add boost and more air, it's taking it past what it was designed for. The stock core is adequate, but not ideal for making more power than stock.

Coincidentally, we started datalogging today with our Civic Si and here's what we found.

It was about 85 degrees out today and this is the STOCK tune. You can see our boost is probably lower than a lot of others' will be because we're at pretty high altitude. Don't mind that.

The temperature at the start of a 3rd gear pull is around 132 degrees F. Although it's cooling effect is enough to decrease it by about 7 degrees, it's still at 125 degrees F which is still 40 degrees over ambient. A really good intercooler core will keep the temperature to about 10-15 degrees above ambient on a day like this. So that goes to show you how inefficient the stock core is. It does it's job, but only as much as it has to. If Mishimoto's core had equal flow (assuming it will flow better) and it only decreased temperatures to around 100 degrees on this pull, you would immediately see more power and the motor would actually be running safer with the cooler temps, and not be prone to knock as much.

Start of 3rd Gear Pull

Charge%20Air%20Start_zps96pxeuxy.png

End of 3rd Gear Pull

Charge%20Air%20Finish_zpsasbdvhvc.png

Do you have any final test data as far as approach temperatures obtained with the new intercooler? I know it was mentioned earlier that 10-15F is normal for an aftermarket unit.
Also, I saw on an earlier graph there were two IAT's shown. Is one turbo inlet temp and one post-IC (engine inlet) temp??
I assume that graph/data was generated by Ktuner software or was it something else?
Lastly, just wondering if there is a difference in pressure drop at max flow of the new unit versus the stock.

Thanks for the great thread and info, keep it coming!!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
These new intercoolers look great, and I can't wait to hear and see more when they are finally released.

Do you have any final test data as far as approach temperatures obtained with the new intercooler? I know it was mentioned earlier that 10-15F is normal for an aftermarket unit.
Also, I saw on an earlier graph there were two IAT's shown. Is one turbo inlet temp and one post-IC (engine inlet) temp??
I assume that graph/data was generated by Ktuner software or was it something else?
Lastly, just wondering if there is a difference in pressure drop at max flow of the new unit versus the stock.

Yup we have all of that info coming! Our engineer spent two days with this car on the dyno to test out the intercooler and the piping, and we collected a TON of data that I'll squeeze into our next update, which will have all the info on temperature and pressure drops, as well as power gains. To give you a little sneak peek, we also ran this hatch with the Hondata +9psi tune to get a wider range of data. I'm still in the process of putting that together along with an update on our piping too ;)

-Nick

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

The graph you quoted here shows Hondata's datalog and it shows the pre turbo intake temp and the post IC temp.

jeffbatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan, 2000 S2000
Will you have any version without the logo painted on it?

Phoenix SI

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
:bump:
Yup we have all of that info coming! Our engineer spent two days with this car on the dyno to test out the intercooler and the piping, and we collected a TON of data that I'll squeeze into our next update, which will have all the info on temperature and pressure drops, as well as power gains. To give you a little sneak peek, we also ran this hatch with the Hondata +9psi tune to get a wider range of data. I'm still in the process of putting that together along with an update on our piping too ;)

-Nick

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Will you have any version without the logo painted on it?
We typically keep the black ones plain, but I know we're also going to experiment with painting a white logo on that option. We haven't set in stone if both are going to have logos just yet.
I'll always take a free bump :D

Unfortunately it's a little too early in the game to have an exact ETA for these yet. We are very close to kicking off mass production. Currently we're looking at a late-January launch for this, but I will be sure to let you guys know if any of that changes!

-Nick

J3T

First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I will be waiting for this, my mishimoto on my Evo was bulletproof! Can you make a red one?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
When will this be available in the market?
Unfortunately it's still a little too early to have any dates set in stone, however we're currently planning on starting our presale toward the end of December or early January. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated if that changes at all!

-Nick

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS Turbo
Unfortunately it's still a little too early to have any dates set in stone, however we're currently planning on starting our presale toward the end of December or early January. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated if that changes at all!

-Nick
Please make this available in the philippines. :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.