Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthMinnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Civic Hatch LX CVT
Country flag
Can't wait! I am totally down to buy a whole kit. The injen intercooler doesn't come with any piping at all. Plus some people have had problems with fitment.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Thanks for the reply
No problem!

Can't wait! I am totally down to buy a whole kit. The injen intercooler doesn't come with any piping at all. Plus some people have had problems with fitment.
Glad to hear it! Our setup has spent the last 3 days on the dyno, so I'll have some stats for you soon!

Also, I do need to correct myself. Typically we do offer the piping separately to the intercooler, but for this system, after talking with our engineer, it doesn't make mush sense to run a stock intercooler with upgraded piping, so the intercooler piping will only work with our intercooler. The our intercooler itself will still adapt to the stock piping however, but I just wanted to make sure I was giving you guys the correct information, sorry about that!

Here's a little teaser for you guys:
Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D 082517_NLT_CivX_INT_WEB_1

-Nick

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Looking forward to seeing some results with this, especially with how terrible these factory intercoolers seem to be, front mount or not. I'm sure this will be a significant improvement from factory.
Why are they terrible?? Vit seemed to think they were more than adequate when he has been tuning this 1.5's......

edgeautosport.com

Elite Sponsor
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Why are they terrible?? Vit seemed to think they were more than adequate when he has been tuning this 1.5's......
OEM's typically use intercoolers that are cheaper to manufacture and easier to fit in the car. They don't necessarily think about performance first and foremost. They give you a core that's good for the car as it's bought. When you add boost and more air, it's taking it past what it was designed for. The stock core is adequate, but not ideal for making more power than stock.

Coincidentally, we started datalogging today with our Civic Si and here's what we found.

It was about 85 degrees out today and this is the STOCK tune. You can see our boost is probably lower than a lot of others' will be because we're at pretty high altitude. Don't mind that.

The temperature at the start of a 3rd gear pull is around 132 degrees F. Although it's cooling effect is enough to decrease it by about 7 degrees, it's still at 125 degrees F which is still 40 degrees over ambient. A really good intercooler core will keep the temperature to about 10-15 degrees above ambient on a day like this. So that goes to show you how inefficient the stock core is. It does it's job, but only as much as it has to. If Mishimoto's core had equal flow (assuming it will flow better) and it only decreased temperatures to around 100 degrees on this pull, you would immediately see more power and the motor would actually be running safer with the cooler temps, and not be prone to knock as much.

Start of 3rd Gear Pull

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D Charge%20Air%20Start_zps96pxeuxy

End of 3rd Gear Pull

Honda Civic 10th gen Bring a Jacket: Mishimoto’s Honda Civic 1.5L Turbo Performance Intercooler R&D Charge%20Air%20Finish_zpsasbdvhvc

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Damn, @edgeautosport.com beat me to the punch! Haha

Just to reiterate though, Honda, like most manufacturers are thinking a lot more about cost than performance when building any vehicle, but especially when it comes to something in mega-mass production like the Civic. Unfortunately for us that means cheap materials on a tube and fin design that's not going to hold up well past regular driving, or even that in some cases. While it is sitting right out in front of the Civic, you're still going to see a quick heat soak, and it's not going to cool as efficiently as a core specifically designed for moving/cooling the charged air.

We're going to have our charts up along with EdgeAutoSport's and I have a trick up my sleeve to help visualize the heatsoak with our next update ;)

Looking forward to seeing some results with this, especially with how terrible these factory intercoolers seem to be, front mount or not. I'm sure this will be a significant improvement from factory.
OEM's typically use intercoolers that are cheaper to manufacture and easier to fit in the car. They don't necessarily think about performance first and foremost. They give you a core that's good for the car as it's bought. When you add boost and more air, it's taking it past what it was designed for. The stock core is adequate, but not ideal for making more power than stock.

Coincidentally, we started datalogging today with our Civic Si and here's what we found.

It was about 85 degrees out today and this is the STOCK tune. You can see our boost is probably lower than a lot of others' will be because we're at pretty high altitude. Don't mind that.

The temperature at the start of a 3rd gear pull is around 132 degrees F. Although it's cooling effect is enough to decrease it by about 7 degrees, it's still at 125 degrees F which is still 40 degrees over ambient. A really good intercooler core will keep the temperature to about 10-15 degrees above ambient on a day like this. So that goes to show you how inefficient the stock core is. It does it's job, but only as much as it has to. If Mishimoto's core had equal flow (assuming it will flow better) and it only decreased temperatures to around 100 degrees on this pull, you would immediately see more power and the motor would actually be running safer with the cooler temps, and not be prone to knock as much.

Start of 3rd Gear Pull

Charge%20Air%20Start_zps96pxeuxy.png

End of 3rd Gear Pull

Charge%20Air%20Finish_zpsasbdvhvc.png

Thanks for all the info and data! Today's the last day our Sport Hatch in on the dyno, so we'll have some similar looking charts pretty soon!

-Nick

DarthMinnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have an ETA on release? I need your full kit bad. It is 110 here in california and the engine is bogged down by the hot air.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Do you have an ETA on release? I need your full kit bad. It is 110 here in california and the engine is bogged down by the hot air.
Unfortunately we don't have a specific release date yet, but the good news is that our testing went very well, so we're going to be moving to production very soon! I'll keep you updated on Pre-Sale and release dates once we have a finalized date for you!

-Nick

DarthMinnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have dyno results? Dying to see a teaser pic of what the whole kit looks like, also how much it will cost.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Do you have dyno results? Dying to see a teaser pic of what the whole kit looks like, also how much it will cost.
No dyno results just yet! Our engineer did quite a lot of testing so he has a lot of numbers to crunch ;)

I'll get you guys some updates asap!

-Nick

omfgerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
No problem!

Glad to hear it! Our setup has spent the last 3 days on the dyno, so I'll have some stats for you soon!

Also, I do need to correct myself. Typically we do offer the piping separately to the intercooler, but for this system, after talking with our engineer, it doesn't make mush sense to run a stock intercooler with upgraded piping, so the intercooler piping will only work with our intercooler. The our intercooler itself will still adapt to the stock piping however, but I just wanted to make sure I was giving you guys the correct information, sorry about that!

Here's a little teaser for you guys:
082517_NLT_CivX_INT_WEB_1.jpg

-Nick
Any pictures of the upgraded piping and intercooler?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.