First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello everyone! Im new to these forums and have purchased my first car ever!

My whole life I had a shitty car with broken windows and a driver side door I couldnt open so I finally got enough money to get this car and I feel like its the best choice iv made!

I have a son and this seems like a good family car too and later I can give it to him!

So yes..I bought the car and didnt know how to drive manual.

The guys at the dealership showed me how to drive manual for 3 hours and I practiced for 2 more hours and drove it home yesterday.

I can say im doing a decent job of shifting but I know I can do it alot smoother.

Hi GoldKing,

Wanted to let you know most of us here (I believe) are pretty experienced manual drivers. Speaking for myself, I've driven manuals of many makes for 40 years. So, my answers are based on personal experience (also personal driving habits) which can color the replies. Here goes...
Areas of Problem & Questions

Every time I come to a red light I switch to neutral (even if im 2rd, 3rd, 4th gear) and come to a full stop. Then when the light is green I switch to 1st gear and have a really hard time switching correctly..the car always jerks heavily and im not sure why...If I recall when it happened this morning I let go of the clutch alot more then I pressed the gas and thats when it jerked so I pressed the clutch back in more and was able to make it speed it. (I really need help in this area)

Just seems like you need more practice. First gear is the heaviest (in manual transmission parlance) along with reverse, which means it requires a bit more toggling between clutch and gas pedals. The best way to make sure you are shifting smoothly is keeping the RPMs more or less static initially. Then, once in second, you can accelerate.

Also, I wouldn't automatically come to neutral. Listen to the engine (watching RPM is another method, but it's safer to just use your ears and the seat of the pants feel of the car) to downshift slowly before coming to a stop. Naturally, shift to neutral before the car dies and as you wait at the light. If you are in a higher gear, brake, bring the RPM down some, then downshift 1-2 gears to, say, third or second. Now, your speed should be below 10 or so. Shift to neutral as you come to a complete stop. It's the safest way and also lets you save some gas. When the car is idling (in neutral), you are actually wasting gas. If in gear, the fuel cuts off when you take your foot off the gas and coast. There is some argument about using engine braking to help the brakes, as well, especially in slick conditions. But be careful because even engine braking can cause a loss of control, especially with the wide tires. Also, with antilock brakes, you may want to rely on the computer more. So, use both engine braking and the brake pedal judiciously.

2. If im driving for example on 4th gear going 40 mph and I see a light coming up...should I just clutch/break while on the same gear and when I'm fully stopped switch to neutral?

See above regarding shifting to neutral. I recommend downshifting (without revving the engine unnecessarily) and coast in gear until around 10mph before shifting to neutral.

3. When this car is parked and need to reverse... it seems that I dont need the gas and I can just use the clutch to back up (also use to slow or fasten the backup?) Is this the correct way of doing it?

You could do this in first, as well. But it depends on how fast you want to back up. You just have to be very gentle with releasing the clutch. Also, if you are parked on an incline, you will have to use the gas because you could kill the engine if you don't obviously.

4. How soon should I switch to 2nd from 1st?

Normal driving, I'd say around 2500-3000 RPM (a bit lower if you are concerned about fuel economy), and you are on a flat stretch of road. Inclines will make a difference again. If you are going downhill, you could switch more quickly because the car speeds up anyway (or maybe even start in second).

If you are driving for fun and with a bit of verve, the above is completely inapplicable. You basically shift at higher revs after the engine break-in period (say, on a race track). So, the answer varies based on driving situations/circumstances.

The above are all the pain areas im having with this car! If you guys can help me I would really appreciate it and thank you!

I will add that I am very proud of you for making the move to manual. KEEP THE MANUALS ALIVE. Enjoy and be safe.

Also if anyone lives in Orange County let me know we can meet up!
Sponsored

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I never go 2nd to 1st without some sort of double clutch, and even then, it's rare. The only time it happens is if I'm in 2nd, coming to a stop, shift to neutral (around 10-12MPH) and my speed drops below 7MPH (anything lower in 2nd and I lug the engine immensely, 7MPH kind of lugs for a second). If I'm 6MPH or lower, I will shift into 1st, rev match it, and let the clutch out slowly so the shift itself is smooth.
Pretty sure OP was asking about shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Still good advice though for doing 2nd to first. I agree, it's a rare occurrence and probably only on an incline would I do it.

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
Hello everyone! Im new to these forums and have purchased my first car ever!

My whole life I had a shitty car with broken windows and a driver side door I couldnt open so I finally got enough money to get this car and I feel like its the best choice iv made!

I have a son and this seems like a good family car too and later I can give it to him!

So yes..I bought the car and didnt know how to drive manual.

The guys at the dealership showed me how to drive manual for 3 hours and I practiced for 2 more hours and drove it home yesterday.

I can say im doing a decent job of shifting but I know I can do it alot smoother.

Areas of Problem & Questions

Every time I come to a red light I switch to neutral (even if im 2rd, 3rd, 4th gear) and come to a full stop. Then when the light is green I switch to 1st gear and have a really hard time switching correctly..the car always jerks heavily and im not sure why...If I recall when it happened this morning I let go of the clutch alot more then I pressed the gas and thats when it jerked so I pressed the clutch back in more and was able to make it speed it. (I really need help in this area)

Take your time releasing the clutch. Let it out slowly. Patience. Driving a manual is going to make you a better driver, period.

2. If im driving for example on 4th gear going 40 mph and I see a light coming up...should I just clutch/break while on the same gear and when I'm fully stopped switch to neutral?

No need to use the clutch to you're almost at a stand-still. You'll get used to it. Downshifting is fun! Let the computer rev match for you till you are ready to try "heel-toe". That's a long ways off by the way.

3. When this car is parked and need to reverse... it seems that I dont need the gas and I can just use the clutch to back up (also use to slow or fasten the backup?) Is this the correct way of doing it?

Yes and NO! Clutch creeping should be utilized in tight situations. While you are on the learning curve you will learn that it is useful in jam traffic. By now, I'm sure you have noticed idling stop.

4. How soon should I switch to 2nd from 1st?

Question #4 is your best question and your most important question. Manual drivers DON'T look down or at the dash. Motorcyclists NEVER look down! Time to utilize your other senses. Get used to the sound of your engine! For a few weeks, ( or months ) talk to yourself and tell yourself what gear you are in. If it is safe to do so, verify that you are correct. When you get really used to your car, you should be able to know your speed without looking at the dash.

Taking your eyes off the road for a split second doesn't mean you will have an accident but experienced manual drivers rarely look to see what's going on.

That's just part of being a man, if you get my drift.

The above are all the pain areas im having with this car! If you guys can help me I would really appreciate it and thank you!

Also if anyone lives in Orange County let me know we can meet up!

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
Just watch this video and you'll instantly start to feel better about your driving.
But pray you never "Moneyshift" your car.

golfer883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Country flag
I've thought about buying a cheap manual to drive around as my main car for 6 months or so just to really get the hang of it and see if I would prefer manual over auto. I've been trained a couple times on manuals, a few hours driving each time so I have the basics down but it just never felt comfortable and right to me. If have to at least know a manual pretty well before I bought an expensive one, as of now I enjoy automatics better.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I've thought about buying a cheap manual to drive around as my main car for 6 months or so just to really get the hang of it and see if I would prefer manual over auto. I've been trained a couple times on manuals, a few hours driving each time so I have the basics down but it just never felt comfortable and right to me. If have to at least know a manual pretty well before I bought an expensive one, as of now I enjoy automatics better.

Cheap and beat up manual cars has got nothing compare to CTR's manual. It's like buying a ripoff $50 random Android phone saying Android sucks where you have flagships like pixel 3 , s9+ , mate 20 pro.

golfer883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Country flag
Cheap and beat up manual cars has got nothing compare to CTR's manual. It's like buying a ripoff $50 random Android phone saying Android sucks where you have flagships like pixel 3 , s9+ , mate 20 pro.
I was thinking of something like a Honda si previous generation, like 5-6 grand that I would sell or trade for a new car in under a year after really having to rely on a manual day to day. I think having to rely on a manual to get me everywhere for that amount of time would give me a good feel for it. I've driven a 2015 wrx manual and the task of having to shift made the car less fun to me, made the car feel slow vs the dsg gti I drove. I mean as of now, I could see a manual as a second car but not something I would want for DD.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A DSG or DCT or any modern automatic will make a manual feel slow. You can’t bang gears in a MT without (you or the car) feeling it. But what you can feel is the connection between the driver and the car. No flappy pedal setup is going to give you that.

As for DDing it, there’s nothing wrong with it. Only time it’s a slight annoyance is when there’s stop and go traffic, and even then it’s just about slowly working the clutch on and off.
Sponsored