Brakes

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
If rust, why no vibrations at low speed?
U can't feel at low speeds. If rotors are warped you will feel it at above 50mph
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Vibrations only under light braking = irregular pad transfer.

Vibrations under heavy braking = warped or corroded rotor, or worn pads.

If the former, do a couple heavy brake cycles to clear the issue.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I had the same problem. My next service showing was the infamous Canadian "Brake Service" (Service 9). After doing this no more vibrations and noises.
How much is this Service 9? Do you know what exactly did they do?

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
This is what my rear brakes look like after 3 winters and 59 000 Km. The grooves started to get noticeable at around 50K, a pulsing feel under light braking started at around 55K. No noise and no vibration during normal driving though.
This is mostly highway driving.
Before this 2016 Civic, I had a 2013 and the same thing happened, but not as bad as this. The rear brakes and rear rotors on the 2013 were swapped at 72 000 Km.
0906192219.jpg
0906192220.jpg
Have you ever had your brakes service and taken apart in between all those kilometers?

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much is this Service 9? Do you know what exactly did they do?
It was $200. They clean(including removing build-up rust), lubricate and inspect all the brake components.
It's expensive I know and I did it because my car is a lease and don't want any trouble for missed maintenance but I'm pretty sure a regular shop can do this for half the price.
I feel like since I'm in Montreal and we have winter with snow, slush and calcium for 5 months out of the year, a brake cleaning makes a difference.
My pads and rotors were fine btw.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
It was $200. They clean(including removing build-up rust), lubricate and inspect all the brake components.
It's expensive I know and I did it because my car is a lease and don't want any trouble for missed maintenance but I'm pretty sure a regular shop can do this for half the price.
I feel like since I'm in Montreal and we have winter with snow, slush and calcium for 5 months out of the year, a brake cleaning makes a difference.
My pads and rotors were fine btw.
I used to live in Montreal and now in Toronto. I never had to ‘clean’ the brakes in all the cars I owned before. Of course, they would brush off the rust in the brake areas every time they replaced the rotors and pads.

By the way, does Honda dealership still turn the rotors? They used to do this back in 2000 when I own the last generation of Honda Prelude. My dealership at the time (Lallier Honda Montreal) used to send out the rotors to a machine shop.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I turned rotors at the front ( in 2003 or 2004 )
The car was on a lift, with the wheels removed, they placed
a sort of tool that machined the rotors, without removing them.
The engine of the car was at iddle, at 2nd gear to drive the rotors.
I' ve never seen anything like it before.
It was a good job, at Honda Ste Rose in Laval, Qc.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to live in Montreal and now in Toronto. I never had to ‘clean’ the brakes in all the cars I owned before. Of course, they would brush off the rust in the brake areas every time they replaced the rotors and pads.

By the way, does Honda dealership still turn the rotors? They used to do this back in 2000 when I own the last generation of Honda Prelude. My dealership at the time (Lallier Honda Montreal) used to send out the rotors to a machine shop.
I never did a brake service on my previous cars either. My first 2 cars were used and out of warranty so I only did oil changes for maintenance. My mechanic never mentioned a brake service either. And like you said everything was cleaned when I changed the rotors/pads.
The car I had before the Si was a Ford Escape on lease and they did not have a brake service on the maintenance scheduled so never did it on that car either.

madmax1698

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Have you ever had your brakes service and taken apart in between all those kilometers?
Nope. Never been touched by anyone since new. It looks really bad, but I'd say it's still safe to drive it like that. I plan on swapping the rotors and pads in the rear after this winter.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
This is what my rear brakes look like after 3 winters and 59 000 Km. The grooves started to get noticeable at around 50K, a pulsing feel under light braking started at around 55K. No noise and no vibration during normal driving though.
This is mostly highway driving.
Before this 2016 Civic, I had a 2013 and the same thing happened, but not as bad as this. The rear brakes and rear rotors on the 2013 were swapped at 72 000 Km.
0906192219.jpg
0906192220.jpg
My rears look like this too! I only get shake at 260kph light braking though.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I go to the dealership next week for an oil change.
Let’s see what they say about the brakes.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
My SI now had 22K KM and I feel vibrations during brakes. My oil life is 30% left so I will bring in the car. I will ask them to check the brake.

I think 22K miles (regular driving) is too soon to replace the brakes, right?

With my previous car (MB), they recommended to replace the rotors together with the pads every time. How about Honda? Do you guys prefer aftermarket or Honda rotors/pads?
I've always just replaced both.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
A follow up.

I went in for service A1 and for the vibrations in braking, they did the A9 brake service. Of course I complained about this A9 service and they said this is a Honda directive and the dealership has no say in this.
However, they did replace the front pads and rotors at no charge.

Picked up the car the next day and it was perfect.
Sponsored