Brakes not grabbing.

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Any had this happen to them before?
I was trying to stop at a stop sign while driving normally even slowly, and the brakes refused to grip all the way causing my car to go into the intersection. I could feel the wheels still spinning roughly. Nearly hit a car..
Sponsored

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was it icy or raining

OP
OP
Vrait

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Was it icy or raining
Just sprinkling a little, no real rain or mud.
It seems to be fine now, just really weird that it happened. Brakes look completely normal.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Break do not grip or car did not stop ? My brake grip on ice but car do not stop always

You may hit a oil spot on the road mix with sprinkling = skid

N-Kryptic

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 4 Door
Country flag
Lol your brakes wont stop your car they stop the wheels, tires are what stop your car if they are bald af you ain't stopping especially it will feel like they are spinning cause they are in abs stop mode

OP
OP
Vrait

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
My tires aren't bald, the car is only a year old.

My brakes haven't done it since, but there's no reason that they should have acted that way.

I was driving below 30mph at the time, I've tested braking from 60mph since and they feel great, so something was wrong.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was the rough feeling kind of back and forth?

smooth, rough, smooth, rough (very quickly)

OP
OP
Vrait

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
Are you familiar with how ABS feels when it engages?
It looks like it may have been the ABS, but I don't remember the ABS light coming on, and the brakes did the opposite of what they were supposed to do.

Instead of improving my braking, it nearly made be go all the way into an intersection.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks like it may have been the ABS, but I don't remember the ABS light coming on, and the brakes did the opposite of what they were supposed to do.

Instead of improving my braking, it nearly made be go all the way into an intersection.
Actually they reacted as designed and prevented you from skidding out of control. Does sound like it increased your braking distance, and that can happen if it’s slick. But..you never lost control.

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
I had a similar problem with an older Subaru. The ABS would kick on in slippery conditions but the car still slid forward. The ABS is meant to help control the braking when you need to turn the wheel to avoid a collision. But, it can't help at all if the tires are not making contact with the pavement. I was told that the most dangerous time to drive in the rain is when it first starts raining, because the grime and oil on the road mix with the water causing slick conditions. That sounds like what you experienced. When the brakes don't stop the car like we are used to, our instinct is to press even harder on the brake pedal. I found that letting up on the pedal when the "buzzing" and pedal vibration of the ABS begins and then applying the brakes more gently works well to stop the car.
Sponsored