Brakes feeling mushier than normal.

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Earlier today, as I was driving between work sites, I noticed my brakes seem to have more give to them. They used to feel incredibly stiff and solid, almost unwieldy in how stiff they were as it made them really touchy. Now they don't seem touchy at all. Did my brakes just break in, or might I have a problem on my hands? For reference, if you put your Civic in drive, throw the brake hold on, then press the brakes, my brakes previously felt pretty close to that level of stiffness. Were they not supposed to feel that stiff?
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Earlier today, as I was driving between work sites, I noticed my brakes seem to have more give to them. They used to feel incredibly stiff and solid, almost unwieldy in how stiff they were as it made them really touchy. Now they don't seem touchy at all. Did my brakes just break in, or might I have a problem on my hands? For reference, if you put your Civic in drive, throw the brake hold on, then press the brakes, my brakes previously felt pretty close to that level of stiffness. Were they not supposed to feel that stiff?
Interesting. Mine were never that stiff, they've always been smooth, linear, and easy to modulate.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Mushy brakes are due to air in the brake system; check if your brake booster reservoir cap is sealed tightly - it should click to close.
Also check if the fluid looks/smells burnt, or if you see a lot of small bubbles on the fluid surface in the reservoir.

Or, it could be just that the pads have worn in a bit like you said. Just keep and eye on it and if it keeps getting worse get your dealer to bleed the system.

OP
OP

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Mushy brakes are due to air in the brake system; check if your brake booster reservoir cap is sealed tightly - it should click to close.
Also check if the fluid looks/smells burnt, or if you see a lot of small bubbles on the fluid surface in the reservoir.

Or, it could be just that the pads have worn in a bit like you said. Just keep and eye on it and if it keeps getting worse get your dealer to bleed the system.
Will do, thanks for the tips! I've only had it for about 4 weeks, but I guess a problem can pop up at any time.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
FWIW, the brakes shouldn't feel stiff. If the change was very sudden then most likely something happened; if it was gradual but you're just sensitive, then it's probably nothing.

Also, there should be a small switch on the bottom near the brake pedal, that signals the brake lights to come up - known as the Brake Light Switch. Some Hondas have an adjustable switch which would control brake pedal travel. Maybe you gave it a good kick or something, although it's unlikely because it's pretty far up the brake pedal assembly. Just throwing out ideas.

Anyway, if it feels unsafe then definitely take it to the dealer. Brakes are one thing you really shouldn't take chances with.

OP
OP

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Interesting. Mine were never that stiff, they've always been smooth, linear, and easy to modulate.
Hm, I wonder if maybe there was a glitch with the parking brake or something that randomly cleared up, then. From what I gather, the brake hold feature puts on the parking brake, and the parking brake makes the brakes stiffer. My friends rode in it on a trip about a week ago and both complained that my braking was rough, and I couldn't really help it since anything more than slightly resting my foot on the brake would kick them in pretty hard. It was much more like a sharp exponential ratio than linear. I came from driving an old pickup truck with weak brakes, so I just figured I wasn't used to driving a car with good brakes.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Brake hold just holds the actual brakes for you, and as far as I know, are unrelated to the parking brake.
If you engage the parking brake you can hear the whirring of the solenoid; you can't hear that when you use brake hold.

If they were that stiff then it looks like your car actually fixed itself lol. But as I said, do keep and eye on it - but I suspect it used to be abnormal, and now is normal.

OP
OP

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
FWIW, the brakes shouldn't feel stiff. If the change was very sudden then most likely something happened; if it was gradual but you're just sensitive, then it's probably nothing.

Also, there should be a small switch on the bottom near the brake pedal, that signals the brake lights to come up - known as the Brake Light Switch. Some Hondas have an adjustable switch which would control brake pedal travel. Maybe you gave it a good kick or something, although it's unlikely because it's pretty far up the brake pedal assembly. Just throwing out ideas.

Anyway, if it feels unsafe then definitely take it to the dealer. Brakes are one thing you really shouldn't take chances with.
It seemed to be pretty sudden; my trip out I got caught behind someone who kept braking, and every time I braked to keep distance, it was annoying because my brakes were knocking my speed down too suddenly and I kept worrying the guy tailgating behind me would hit me. On the way back, I put on my brake hold and after one stop light, it seemed like my brakes suddenly had more give to them than before. I'm thinking maybe there was a problem with the stiffness before if they weren't supposed to be that stiff, and maybe they freed up randomly from having brake hold on. Will take a look at the Brake Light Switch when I'm in it next.

Yeah, I definitely agree, haha! The rusted up brake lines in my last vehicle (an old truck) blew out once on the way to work and I had to limp it back home with barely working brakes (down a hill to boot). Since then, I've been super paranoid about brakes and am always worried about them going out, so that paranoia could probably be playing a part in this as well.

OP
OP

Clear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Brake hold just holds the actual brakes for you, and as far as I know, are unrelated to the parking brake.
If you engage the parking brake you can hear the whirring of the solenoid; you can't hear that when you use brake hold.

If they were that stiff then it looks like your car actually fixed itself lol. But as I said, do keep and eye on it - but I suspect it used to be abnormal, and now is normal.
Yeah, I noticed that whir difference, just saw that someone on the forum in another thread mentioned that brake hold used the parking brake, so thought it might be true due to the stiffness added to the brakes from both.

Hahaha, hopefully at least! Yeah, if it gets worse, it's def going to the dealer.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There is definitely a break in period for the brakes. On a brand new vehicle they can be touchy and react with the slightest touch.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is definitely a break in period for the brakes. On a brand new vehicle they can be touchy and react with the slightest touch.
That's been my experience. They still are pretty grabby. Just thought it was going to a light car from a Pilot.
Sponsored