tjdio

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum and I have a question regarding Brake servicing and brake fluid replacement. Went to my local Honda dealer to get my snow tires put on...they came back to me saying there was an A179 code. My 2016 civic currently has 20,000km on it. Does it not seem a tad early to replace brake fluid and have the brakes replaced?

They also did warranty work on my car without asking on the rear rotors as they were warped.

The tech just didn’t explain things to me particularly well.

Has anyone run into an issue like this before?
Sponsored

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Brake fluid needs to be replaced every 3 years, there is no km allowance on that, only time. As for the brake service that could be needed. Open your manual and check what the codes mean under the maintenance section. Follow that, not what your dealer says. Dealers have the tendency to recommend services early.... $$$$$$$$$$

OP
OP

tjdio

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Brake fluid needs to be replaced every 3 years, there is no km allowance on that, only time. As for the brake service that could be needed. Open your manual and check what the codes mean under the maintenance section. Follow that, not what your dealer says. Dealers have the tendency to recommend services early.... $$$$$$$$$$
Ok sounds good. Thanks!

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
With disks and ABS all around Honda "recommends" replacing the brake fluid at 3 yrs. Our '12 Si wore out the rear pads & rotors at 50k miles and had significant caliper binding front and rear when they did the replacement. Suggest having fluid change & "brake service" when replacing pads/rotors.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would say that is a little soon for rear brakes, however if the rotors were severely warped that could have either worn the pads unevenly or they could have gotten warped due to over heating from the pads having an issue. This is my first car with rear discs, so I'm not real familiar with them yet.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The second car in the family, a 2007 Toyota Corolla with 214,000kms / 134,000 miles, car work better than when is was new.
So why we what to buy another Civic in 2018 ???

Never change brake fluid* neither MT fluid *or power steering fluid *or engine coolant.

* My car mechanic say don't touch to that.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
The second car in the family, a 2007 Toyota Corolla with 214,000kms / 134,000 miles, car work better than when is was new.
So why we what to buy another Civic in 2018 ???

Never change brake fluid* neither MT fluid *or power steering fluid *or engine coolant.

* My car mechanic say don't touch to that.
I had a Corolla 2005, the rear brakes are drums, I never replaced them.
My Civic, I grease all 4 brakes once a year.
(I'm sure you use 5W30 in your Corolla....) (wink, wink...lol)

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a Corolla 2005, the rear brakes are drums, I never replaced them.
My Civic, I grease all 4 brakes once a year.
(I'm sure you use 5W30 in your Corolla....) (wink, wink...lol)
Yes, original rear brake and 5W30 as Toyota said. I should grease my brakes too, I neglected.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Doing your own periodic "servicing" of the brakes is a great idea but with all the capabilities of the ABS, stability assist, and CMBS in modern-day Hondas it might be best to replace the fluid when doing major brake work (pads/rotors, etc). Unless you get into the internals of the "wheel cylinders" and touch them up, corrosion from moisture, be it from under the boots or fluid absorption can hang up the pads and cause problems.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think that brake fluid replacement after 3 years is good maintenance.
Absolutely. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (big word, forgive my spelling) and will absorb water from the air. If not changed it will eventually start to rot the brake likes from the inside out. Where I live in the must humid part of the country I think I'll do it on time. :)

CoolKen7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I think I am having the same issue. My 2016 civic ex has the A79 minder since last week and the dealer told me i have to change the brake fluid for $300. I only have 20k so I don't know if it's necessary to change it. Would it be a problem if I skip it since it's a leased car?

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think I am having the same issue. My 2016 civic ex has the A79 minder since last week and the dealer told me i have to change the brake fluid for $300. I only have 20k so I don't know if it's necessary to change it. Would it be a problem if I skip it since it's a leased car?
Pretty sure there’s a clause in your lease agreement that says you must keep up on your maintenance.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS TO CHANGE BRAKE FLUID.

F*ck.

Are you sure that's all they want to do?
Sponsored