brake pedal vs. gas pedal height

susanhl2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX S
I have caught my foot on the side of the brake pedal on my 2016 Civic EX S while switching from gas pedal, thus was not able to quickly access the brake. The brake pedal is higher (maybe an inch?) than my gas pedal, which I assume is how they are designed. I don't recall ever having this problem on any other car I have driven. Has anyone else had this problem? Are the pedals designed that way because I have keyless entry (and need to press the brake when I start the car)?

Thanks for any info on this.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't noticed anything off compared to other cars I've driven. Maybe try driving with the seat back a little further?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Never done this either - I mean there are surely slightly different pedal positions for every single car out there, but I'd also be inclined to suggest you try changing your seat position to see if you can angle your feet/ankle differently.

Or, you know, don't wear 4" heels while driving :p

OP
OP

susanhl2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX S
Never done this either - I mean there are surely slightly different pedal positions for every single car out there, but I'd also be inclined to suggest you try changing your seat position to see if you can angle your feet/ankle differently.

Or, you know, don't wear 4" heels while driving :p
Thanks for responding. PS-I haven't worn 4" heels in a very long time, and certainly never wore them driving.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Thanks for responding. PS-I haven't worn 4" heels in a very long time, and certainly never wore them driving.
Goodness, I assumed you were a guy lol - now the username makes sense...haha.

Do keep in mind the steering wheel is tilt/telescope so there's added adjustability to your driving position.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I actually clicked this thread thinking it was going to be about something else. coming from my accord where I can easily side-step/rev match on braking/downshifts I cant successfully do it as well in the civic yet because I feel the brake pedal is too high. was thinking about pulling the pushrod off the pedal and threading the bracket down a few turns to try and lower the pedal maybe 3/8 or 1/2 inch if there's enough adjustability and then adjust the brake switch back down to the new pedal height.

you could look into doing something like that, albeit for different reasons...

OP
OP

susanhl2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX S
I actually clicked this thread thinking it was going to be about something else. coming from my accord where I can easily side-step/rev match on braking/downshifts I cant successfully do it as well in the civic yet because I feel the brake pedal is too high. was thinking about pulling the pushrod off the pedal and threading the bracket down a few turns to try and lower the pedal maybe 3/8 or 1/2 inch if there's enough adjustability and then adjust the brake switch back down to the new pedal height.

you could look into doing something like that, albeit for different reasons...
Thanks so much. I was beginning to think I was crazy. And, BTW, the brake pedal appears to be about 2 inches higher than the gas. I couldn't measure it exactly b/c I didn't want to try getting into a position where that might be possible.

RaiseTheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX Manual
has anyone adjusted their pedal heights yet?

It definitely makes it more difficult for me to downshift and rev match with the gas pedal so low compared to the brake.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

It definitely makes it more difficult for me to downshift and rev match with the gas pedal so low compared to the brake.
Will eventually but too much other stuff currently going on..

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Done! it's really easy and improves the driving experience a lot!

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Done! it's really easy and improves the driving experience a lot!
Sure does. I also am getting used to the fact that you have to be more deliberate in your "blipping" of the throttle compared to an older NA Honda. Sorry I never got you that pic you asked for. How many turns in did you end up going with?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sure does. I also am getting used to the fact that you have to be more deliberate in your "blipping" of the throttle compared to an older NA Honda. Sorry I never got you that pic you asked for. How many turns in did you end up going with?
I went to the lowest position and then 2 turns back, it feels right for me

Deleted member 24192

I was looking for information regarding pedal adjustments and hacks, and ended up here (a few months too late into the conversation). I also feel the brake pedal can be lowered a little, or the gas pedal a bit more elevated. The above video is too much work for me. I thought about replacing the pedals with wide ones like the Momo pedals on my RSX, but that would require drilling holes (again, lazy). What I might do is remove the gas pedal and re-install it with some sort of spacer about 1/4 to 1/2 inch tall in between it and the platform it's attached onto. I'll just have to replace the screws with longer ones.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I lowered the brake following maddmatt's video and then i bought a set of alluminum pedal covers, brake and clutch are installed in place of the original rubber covers but the gas is applied over the pedal, so you gain a little bit of height. Now i can heel/toe much better!
Sponsored