Brake Hold doesn’t work?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So yesterday and this morning I noticed that I could not turn on the brake hold feature. I would press the button but nothing would happen. I tried giving it more pressure but still nothing. It’s worth noting that to activate it in the past I sometimes had to push a bit harder, as if the button wasn’t going down to the activation point with a lighter push.

It’s not the biggest deal but I liked the peace of mind that brake hold gives so I don’t have to worry about rolling back on a hill since I’m still learning to drive a stick shift. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue?

The car is at 650 miles; no other issues but this one. I thought it could have been related to not pushing the clutch/brake when trying to activate it but it just doesn’t seem to activate. I also tried it in different gears and neutral but nothing works.
Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
I don't know about your specific problem. But with my Si I have never used brake hold but hill assist still works; I assume the Type R has hill assist as well.

More interesting to me, is that one would buy a Type R to learn to drive a manual transmission.

18Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civic si 16 forester xt 13 lancer
Did you have your seatbelt on? I have a steep driveway and noticed it wouldn’t turn on if you didn’t have seatbelt on.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seat belt was on - I tried activating it while driving (which I could do before this started happening) but still nothing.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
did you spill something over the button at anytime? the button may possibly have gotten stuck? idk.

Maybe something got jammed underneath not allowing you to fully depress the button to activate it

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t remember anything spilling, but I do carry liquid in the cup holders almost every day and while they are sealed containers I don’t think it’s totally out of the question for some to have splashed over the edge.

I’ll have to look this afternoon to see if maybe something got under it. It may be stuck because I don’t feel like the button is pushing all the way down. Not sure what could have done that though...

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I don’t remember anything spilling, but I do carry liquid in the cup holders almost every day and while they are sealed containers I don’t think it’s totally out of the question for some to have splashed over the edge.

I’ll have to look this afternoon to see if maybe something got under it. It may be stuck because I don’t feel like the button is pushing all the way down. Not sure what could have done that though...
https://www.civicx.com/threads/brake-hold-issue.2658/#post-69843
post from few year ago but he said there was a harness that was jammed up underneath. Idk if its the same as yours but its worth it to look at if you got some time.

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag

The beauty of this car for all of us, is that it's brand new, so... warranty time!

Enjoy your dealership coffee, and cast suspicious glances at that one guy in the corner who keeps coughing.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah it doesn't activate at all - feels like something may be stuck. Rather than rushing back to the dealership to have it looked at I may just wait until it's time for an oil change or something... the way I see it is learning to conquer hills without it is more beneficial than having to rely on brake hold. So far I've been fine - might as well keep going without it!

Ladyluck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
This! Brake hold only works with seat belt on and it turns off if you remove your seatbelt, so be careful!
As soon as the seat belt is taken off it will de-active the brake hold and activate the E-brake. So your vehicle won't be going anywhere either way.

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As soon as the seat belt is taken off it will de-active the brake hold and activate the E-brake. So your vehicle won't be going anywhere either way.
If you manually removed e-brake before it wont do it. Was one of the first things the dealer told me and I've had it happen! Try it

Ladyluck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
If you manually removed e-brake before it wont do it. Was one of the first things the dealer told me and I've had it happen! Try it
Im not sure I understand what you mean exactly.... If I manually removed the ebrake before what? Sorry, super confused.

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im not sure I understand what you mean exactly.... If I manually removed the ebrake before what? Sorry, super confused.
Before activating brake hold (like, manually releasing the e-brake instead of just running the car and letting the automatic release thing happen). After I had it happen twice when I just got the car I decided to never release the e-brake manually, and I always engage the e-brake when I park just in case. Last year we had a discussion about this in the forums, I am not sure if it's a bug or just dumb programming, but a user had it's car roll into a wall because of this.
Sponsored