Brake/Brake System Light illuminates on dashboard

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. Probably almost a year apart. Today I go to lunch and start the car. I notice the red "Brake" indicator is blinking and the orange "brake system" light is on. Based off the last experience, I knew my car wouldn't reverse with those on...so I played around with the Park Brake and the Brake button by...my shifter?? Not sure what its called but anyhow after playing with those button, the lights finally went off and I was able to drive my car. No, my parking brakes were not on when I got to work as I park on a flat surface and usually never use it.
Has this happened to anyone?

Honda Civic 10th gen Brake/Brake System Light illuminates on dashboard dash
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just a guess...

Wondering if something may have been spilled into the e-brake or brake hold/ hill assist button areas.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Just a guess...

Wondering if something may have been spilled into the e-brake or brake hold/ hill assist button areas.
No. It’s just me and my daughter. I haven’t had a spill on that area. ‍♀

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
If you had rear brake pads recently replaced; I've read where that can be an issue (not resetting the thing properly).

And maybe check the master cylinder fluid level.

I'm just guessing here. But maybe something will spark an idea.

Good luck.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
If you had rear brake pads recently replaced; I've read where that can be an issue (not resetting the thing properly).

And maybe check the master cylinder fluid level.

I'm just guessing here. But maybe something will spark an idea.

Good luck.
I haven't had my brakes replaced since I bought the car (in 2016.) idk what the master cylinder fluid is but maybe I can ask the ex husband to look at it for me. don't really like asking him. LOL but thank you for response!

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
The Service Bulletin is done by the Honda dealer, I don't think you should have to pay for this software update.
How do you think I should proceed with this? Call the Dealer and tell him the bulletin number and explain to him that its happened to my car? Not sure if they'll want to actually see it because that would be impossible. Car wont shift gears if those two lights are on and I'm definitely not having it towed because then it'll be money out of my pocket and by then the lights would have turned off.

takierosales

First Name
Romeo Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.8e
Country flag
This is the 2nd time this has happened to me. Probably almost a year apart. Today I go to lunch and start the car. I notice the red "Brake" indicator is blinking and the orange "brake system" light is on. Based off the last experience, I knew my car wouldn't reverse with those on...so I played around with the Park Brake and the Brake button by...my shifter?? Not sure what its called but anyhow after playing with those button, the lights finally went off and I was able to drive my car. No, my parking brakes were not on when I got to work as I park on a flat surface and usually never use it.

dash.jpg
Check you speed sensors. Its with the tcm

DL41001

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017
Country flag

dash.jpg
Finally, what did you do? Thanks.

OP
OP

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Finally, what did you do? Thanks.
Hi,
What did I do? I just played would press on my brake pedal a few times and the park button on my center console and turn the car on and off. I didn't know what else to do. It seems to work after playing with all three for a couple of minutes. Have not taken it to the shop because if it's driveable, I'm going to lose out on money for a diagnostic and be told they can't find anything wrong with the car. *face palm emoji

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Best to have dealer look at the issue - it's difficult to distinguish between a bad sensor = minor and NO Brakes = DOA until it's too late.

DL41001

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017
Country flag
Hi,
What did I do? I just played would press on my brake pedal a few times and the park button on my center console and turn the car on and off. I didn't know what else to do. It seems to work after playing with all three for a couple of minutes. Have not taken it to the shop because if it's driveable, I'm going to lose out on money for a diagnostic and be told they can't find anything wrong with the car. *face palm emoji
Thank you for responding. That's what I thought.
Sponsored