Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback! We know that everyone's style is different so we are actually going to offer 3 different tip options for the Civic Type R:
  • Carbon Fiber (shown on this forum)
  • Polished
  • Black
I appreciate y'all being open to criticism and compliments! Are all of the tips offered going to have that "fin" look on the inside of the tip?
Thanks
Sponsored

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 HPD CR-Z - 2005 CBR1000RR - 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback! We know that everyone's style is different so we are actually going to offer 3 different tip options for the Civic Type R:
  • Carbon Fiber (shown on this forum)
  • Polished
  • Black
:agree:

Lisa@Borla

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
I appreciate y'all being open to criticism and compliments! Are all of the tips offered going to have that "fin" look on the inside of the tip?
Thanks
That's a great question... No, the only tips that will have the intercooled center are the Carbon Fiber Tips and the intercooled part will be black, not silver.

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's a great question... No, the only tips that will have the intercooled center are the Carbon Fiber Tips and the intercooled part will be black, not silver.
that will make a huge difference in the looks!

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really like the Borla (HPD) exhaust on my SC CR-Z - very unique sound. I am definitely interested in the final product of this one!

OP
OP
c0sm0s

c0sm0s

the m0derater
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Acura RSX Type S, 2017 Honda Civic Type R #4026
Country flag
Heading to pick up the car soon...should have it in 1.5 hours or so...will be at the So Cal CTR meet tomorrow at 5:00 pm at the Krispy Kreme in Industry at Puente Hills Mall.

1548 S Azusa Ave, City of Industry, CA 91748

If anyone wants to check it out come down.
Should be at least 15 people at the meet to give feedback on what they liked and didn't like of the final product.

Keep an eye on the Facebook groups as well as I am sure some people will post their feedback there.

Flyindutchman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Heading to pick up the car soon...should have it in 1.5 hours or so...will be at the So Cal CTR meet tomorrow at 5:00 pm at the Krispy Kreme in Industry at Puente Hills Mall.

1548 S Azusa Ave, City of Industry, CA 91748

If anyone wants to check it out come down.
Should be at least 15 people at the meet to give feedback on what they liked and didn't like of the final product.

Keep an eye on the Facebook groups as well as I am sure some people will post their feedback there.
I’d be really interested to hear what other CTR owners have to say. I’m almost embarrassed by how bold and rude the responses from forum users have been when they should have seen that Borla is directly responding on this thread? Awesome company to do that.

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I’d be really interested to hear what other CTR owners have to say.
I'll put in my two cents. Let me start off by saying that I didn't write up anything thus far because I didn't get a full scope on how the exhaust sounded, meaning, no drive-bys or in-car rides (not saying @c0sm0s was offering rides, haha) because I stepped away from the meet before @c0sm0s left so I only got to hear his CTR at idle and revving to 3~4k RPM limiter. Anyway, from what I've heard so far, I really like the Borla setup :thumbsup::thumbsup: Really deep and noticeable idle, and revving had a clean and deep sound. @c0sm0s mentioned that there's absolutely no drone, quiet at cruising, and loud at WOT. Basically, music to my ears. Also, to address those carbon fiber exhaust tips that everyone is complaining about: it doesn't look bad at all in person. I actually learned a bit about the CF tips at the meet: the design has been used by Borla for a while now and they're basically air channels to help keep the CF tips cool while driving and not turn yellow so quickly. Also, I was told they black out the exposed parts anyway on the final production so you won't be able to really see that funky design.

Personally, I still like Thermal's exhaust the most so far because of their unique approach of using one big muffler at the end rather than the 3-separate mini-exhausts approach that everyone is using, and from the videos I've watched, it sounds great. However, I cannot bring myself to even begin spending over $1k for such a terrible exhaust tip...it's so bad. I was wondering why everyone was complaining about Borla's pre-production CF tips when Thermal's final version was way worse. So Borla most likely has my money and vote. I'm still waiting on Scorpion because I like the red ring for their middle exhaust tip, haha. So for me, it's down to these 2 manufacturers.

OP
OP
c0sm0s

c0sm0s

the m0derater
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Acura RSX Type S, 2017 Honda Civic Type R #4026
Country flag
@youCTR I'll give you a ride man!
Did a few quick drive by's when I left around 8.
Hopefully a few others from the event can comment here on their thoughts.

When I picked up the car I got a little Borla history and got some history on the exhaust design process for our CTR.
I leave the details up to them if they want to share but there was a few things on the design I liked.
Dual resonators (I believe), one big muffler with the 3 tips coming out, an additional smaller muffler of one side/tip to help attenuate sound, some patented multi core designs for sound attenuation, and an adjustable v clip on the center tip you can swap out a plate to have either wide open flow a smaller option, even smaller option, and fully close option. This would act to "silence" the sound but not interrupt the performance.

The look of the Carbon Fiber Tips and finlets is much better in person and it ties right into the designed look of the car.
The pictures of these tips are definitely looking on the weird side but in person it doesn't have the weird circular angular bendy look...not sure how else to describe it.

I've now driven the car over the weekend from trip 1. Oxnard to West LA, trip 2. West LA to K-Town and back to West LA, West trip 3. LA to Industry, Industry to OC and back to Industry, and Industry back to West LA.
The exhaust sounds great at start and idle and under load it is almost perfect for my taste, deep sexy growl.
Most surprisingly is the lack of drone while cruising or on the freeway.

My other car is a RSX Type S with a Buddy Club Spec 2.
That thing is loud all the time and drones like no other.

So I wanted to see what a few others who have been in both my cars thought (in order of appearance):
  • My Roommate (female drives a Hybrid Ford Fusion): She refuses to ride in my RSX because it is too loud and annoying. Was happy I got the CTR and disappointed when I dropped it off to Borla. Drove next to her on trip 1. each on our cars phone feature and she couldn't hear the exhaust through the phone unless I was pushing it. She could hear it as I passed her or was in front of her from the outside. So she thought it was about to be loud and annoying. Drove with her on trip 2. and ask her what she thought compared to the RSX and she was pleased that it was okay in the car and said she would ride in it.
  • My Mechanic 1 (Honda Enthusiast, car list too long but has an NSX): All he got was the idle, rev, and drive by but he thought it "sounds good" (sorry for vagueness here but I didn't get enough time with him for more valuable feedback...provide more later probably)
  • My Mechanic 2 (from Buddy Club, Honda Enthusiast, car list too long but has an NSX): Took him on trip 3. and to the meet. This wast his first time riding in the CTR. He was beyond impressed with the car in general. The acceleration, the handling, the comfort, the control, and the Borla Exhaust as well. He too was amazed at the sound the achieved while being so quiet in the cabin.
  • My Mom (female drives a Mazda CX-9): She also complains about my RSX noise but doesn't refuse to ride in it at least. I took my mom on a short ride to buy her breakfast and back and asked her what she thought compared to the RSX. She thought it was "way better" and said she won't get a headache now.
  • My Friend (drives a 2016 Dodge Charger Scat Pack with a mid muffler delete): Man his car sounds mean, really mean. All I was able to do was give him the idle and revs but I was pleasantly surprised with his smile and comments. He didn't think a little car could make this great of a sound, being deep and raspy but not gurgle-ly.
Take the feedback I share for what it is.
If anyone wants to see or hear it for themselves, I am happy to share as much as I can that is convenient for me.
I work and stay in Culver City during the week and I travel back to Hacienda Heights on most weekends.

As @Flyindutchman said, Borla is watching this thread so you can ask questions here to them and I am sure they will do their best to answer.

I still have a prototype but it's pretty close to the final production one so here's some photos for you:
Honda Civic 10th gen Borla Exhaust for Civic Type R 23472830_10211897745412597_8506685913425808223_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Borla Exhaust for Civic Type R 23380065_10211897745612602_3133440767068435873_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Borla Exhaust for Civic Type R 23319483_10211897745852608_6116539841563332563_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Borla Exhaust for Civic Type R 23319483_10211897745852608_6116539841563332563_n

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Thanks for providing everyone the feedback. I keep getting thrown off by being able to see through the tips like on the straight on shot.

Last edited:

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@youCTR

I still have a prototype but it's pretty close to the final production one so here's some photos for you:
Honda Civic 10th gen Borla Exhaust for Civic Type R {filename}

Looks much better with the blacked out tip supports. I also didn't realize they used a J-pipe, that's what it's called right?, coming off the right pipe. That'll definitely cut out any drone, but now I'm wondering if they would practically need the middle pipe anymore other than keeping the original Type R look. Overall, looks good.

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Can anyone comment and tell me if you can hear the turbo whistle in the exhaust at idle/very low revs?

I am interested to hear more examples of this. Possibly the best sounding exhaust I've heard so far and it's at the top of my list at the moment.

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
One of the better attempts at an exhaust for these. It has certainly appeared to be a challenge for a lot of mfgs.

slothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Any updates on this? When available?
Second this. I'm also curious about the s-type that was in r&d for us sport/sport touring hatches. Wasn't it supposed to release soon?
Sponsored