nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
My car is 4-weeks old on Friday, May 17th and has about 1500-miles on it. When shifting at most any RPM, most any throttle position, including hard acceleration at WOT and high RPM, regardless as to how fast I shift, when I get back on the throttle, I experience a full second or so of lag before I'm on boost again. This doesn't seem right to me, but I've no previous experience with a factory turbocharged vehicle that's equipped with a bypass instead of a blow-off valve.

I've asked around and no one seems to know other than one person that responded, telling me that my CTR should not have that kind of lag during a WOT, high-boost, high-speed pull. He also wrote that the cheap, mostly plastic bypass valve on my car could be leaking boost, making my car lag like an old-school blow-off valve. He recommended I replace it with a Boomba billet aluminum bypass valve. I don't hear a blow-off type noise, nonetheless, it seems possible.

Anyone have any thoughts on the amount of lag I'm experiencing? Anyone else ever experience or hear of anything like this, regarding the bypass valve? Any words of experience and wisdom are welcome and appreciated.

Have a great day!
Sponsored

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Hmmm... just curious, is it an A21 series ECU?
What is the boost guage showing during the event?
Maybe you could catch a video of it.

Roadcone

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 FR-S + '19 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
unless i'm really hammering the car and maintaining big rpm mine falls completely out of boost on a shift and acts like i nearly stopped the turbo. it feels like a ssecond or so until it comes back up to 22-23psi at times.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
When I had chatted with Doug at @Hondata , I was informed that there's a boost delay built into the ECU logic between shifts. I can't remember the duration, but perhaps they'll chime in.

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
the oem bypass valve is fine leave it alone. the ecu uses it to bleed boost.
are you slamming 2nd gear? the ecu might be cutting power to control wheel spin.

btw i would take it easy on the trans for alittle more this trans needs more time to break in and loosen up.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
The C-TR uses a Mono Scroll turbo. The differing exhaust pulses collide with each other.
A twin scroll turbo will spool faster while maintaining the high end flow. They require a dual wastegate setup because you have two separate ports that exhaust is flowing through. And if you combine those two exhaust flows then you have just defeated the purpose of the twin scroll.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
If you want crisp throttle response then a turbo 4 isn't the car for you.
Get a high output V6 or V8.

Jeez ......

TheTurk203

First Name
Turk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R - 2018 Audi Q7 - 2016 Mercedes C300
Country flag
Mine does the same thats why I can't wait to get it tuned

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I had chatted with Doug at @Hondata , I was informed that there's a boost delay built into the ECU logic between shifts. I can't remember the duration, but perhaps they'll chime in.
Nope. As soon as you shift the ECU closes the wastegate and overlaps the cams to get the boost up as quickly as possible.

And it's not the re-circulation valve. That's just how the engine is. The flow is so restricted (cams, intake, cylinder head, turbo, catalyst) there is not much exhaust energy so even with a tiny turbo it takes time to build boost.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Nope. As soon as you shift the ECU closes the wastegate and overlaps the cams to get the boost up as quickly as possible.

And it's not the re-circulation valve. That's just how the engine is. The flow is so restricted (cams, intake, cylinder head, turbo, catalyst) there is not much exhaust energy so even with a tiny turbo it takes time to build boost.
To summarize it go back to post #7.

OP
OP
nYdGeo

nYdGeo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
My thanks to Roadcone, Design, Hayabusa160, Hollywood0220, TheTurk203 and Hondata for observing the sentence containing the qualifying statement "but I've no previous experience with a factory turbocharged vehicle" and for the helpful posts keeping that fact in mind.

Hayabusa160, I try to roll the throttle on in all gears, usually short-shifting first and second due to the traction situation. Can't wait to get Hondata. I'm more excited about the traction control than I am the extra power.

NoelPR, I don't know what the 'PR' stands for, but I hope it's not Public Relations. If it's so annoying to you to respond to a simple question, jeez, why respond at all? A perfect example of the type of responses that motivate people to not post at all and/or to leave forums altogether.

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
The C-TR uses a Mono Scroll turbo. The differing exhaust pulses collide with each other.
A twin scroll turbo will spool faster while maintaining the high end flow. They require a dual wastegate setup because you have two separate ports that exhaust is flowing through. And if you combine those two exhaust flows then you have just defeated the purpose of the twin scroll.
In for how you plan on using a twin scroll turbo correctly with the K20C.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
@D-RobIMW
Sorry D-Rob, I spoke out of line in this matter.
Was not truly implying that a TWIN could be set-up with the K20C’s inherent exhaust plumbing.
Perhaps I should have stated Variable-Vane instead. I believe Borg Warner produces those for Porsche. It would be a costly venture for Borg Warner to perhaps design something like that for the K20C series? I understand that the VGT style does not require a wastegate...
Sponsored