Bluetooth connectivity issues with Android phones !

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Wait, the issue is only with Pandora? What's to say it's not a Pandora problem vs a Bluetooth problem? I know you've asked others to test on their systems as well. What you're most likely hoping for is a hardware issue vs a software one. A hardware issue a tech can fix by swapping the head unit. If they test on theirs and find similar issues, it becomes a software issue that they can't do anything about. Additionally, if a tech tests his phones on it and finds no BT issue, its software. The problem with software is that the tech can't do anything even if he wanted to.

A few notes on digging though since you are talking about the car's Pandora integration:
  1. If the last thing you played out of your phone that isn't Pandora (YouTube, other music player, audible, etc.), you're phone itself may not be telling the head unit to switch to Pandora since it thinks it's playing whatever was last played. Make sure you open the Pandora app and press the play button on your phone to ensure Pandora is indeed what's listed as playing on your phone. If it goes long enough without playing any media, the phone may default to a null set of what's playing. Again, open Pandora and play it before connecting. If this is an issue, it's a problem entirely on your phone's side with its software. The fix isn't something Honda can do, rather it's something Google would need to address. iPhone can have this issue as well (which I see in an above post, may be going on).
  2. Honda actually has a list of supported (tested) phones on their system. It can be found here. If the popup for find a phone doesn't appear, click find a phone. If your phone isn't listed, it doesn't mean it won't work, it means that it's not guaranteed to work, but may still work. Android is Android (for the most part) after all.
From everything you've said so far, I'm inclined to believe the issue isn't with your head unit or even your car. I feel like the issue is with the software on your phone's side.
I will try this idea. I will open Pandora app on phone just before getting in car and see if that does it. It is plausible what you're saying.
Note: I've tried it with my pixel 2xl. I've tried it with my Motorola Droid. Homeboy above tried it with his iPhone. They are ALL listed as being fully compatible and they ALL are not working. I mean, I haven't tried phones sold on other planets yet, but I'm gonna guess they probably won't work either.
Gonna try the open-pandora-on-phone-first and let y'all know.....
Sponsored

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
Ive tried the open the app first and then select the pandora on the HU many times. It will work 50% of the time for me. I've also done it with the HU app first then the iPhone app, and again it will work when it wants to (50%). I think for clarification sake, we shouldn't say this is a bluetooth issue, but a Pandora app issue. Whether thats a phone app issue or HU app issue, it's a Pandora app issue and not bluetooth.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Ive tried the open the app first and then select the pandora on the HU many times. It will work 50% of the time for me. I've also done it with the HU app first then the iPhone app, and again it will work when it wants to (50%). I think for clarification sake, we shouldn't say this is a bluetooth issue, but a Pandora app issue. Whether thats a phone app issue or HU app issue, it's a Pandora app issue and not bluetooth.
I have actually been tempted to jailbreak the hu and reinstall the included pandora app with the newest one to see if that works.

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have actually been tempted to jailbreak the hu and reinstall the included pandora app with the newest one to see if that works.
I was just thinking along those lines too......
Just wish I knew how to do it

and had the balls to try it HA !

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was just thinking along those lines too......
Just wish I knew how to do it

and had the balls to try it HA !
There are tutorials. Seems fairly simple. All the tuners do it to run engine apps on screen.

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
There are tutorials. Seems fairly simple. All the tuners do it to run engine apps on screen.
Yeah I've watched a couple, got completely lost, and realized I'm probably not the right person to be trying that stuff.
But you.... you're special.... you were born for this... this is your moment.... your moment to shine. Let us know how it goes lmao

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Wait, the issue is only with Pandora? What's to say it's not a Pandora problem vs a Bluetooth problem? I know you've asked others to test on their systems as well. What you're most likely hoping for is a hardware issue vs a software one. A hardware issue a tech can fix by swapping the head unit. If they test on theirs and find similar issues, it becomes a software issue that they can't do anything about. Additionally, if a tech tests his phones on it and finds no BT issue, its software. The problem with software is that the tech can't do anything even if he wanted to.

A few notes on digging though since you are talking about the car's Pandora integration:
  1. If the last thing you played out of your phone that isn't Pandora (YouTube, other music player, audible, etc.), you're phone itself may not be telling the head unit to switch to Pandora since it thinks it's playing whatever was last played. Make sure you open the Pandora app and press the play button on your phone to ensure Pandora is indeed what's listed as playing on your phone. If it goes long enough without playing any media, the phone may default to a null set of what's playing. Again, open Pandora and play it before connecting. If this is an issue, it's a problem entirely on your phone's side with its software. The fix isn't something Honda can do, rather it's something Google would need to address. iPhone can have this issue as well (which I see in an above post, may be going on).
  2. Honda actually has a list of supported (tested) phones on their system. It can be found here. If the popup for find a phone doesn't appear, click find a phone. If your phone isn't listed, it doesn't mean it won't work, it means that it's not guaranteed to work, but may still work. Android is Android (for the most part) after all.
From everything you've said so far, I'm inclined to believe the issue isn't with your head unit or even your car. I feel like the issue is with the software on your phone's side.
I have seen reports of some Android version of Pandora having connection issue.
However, if you have had the same problem for 2 years, and have been keeping Pandora updated on your phone, that may not be the issue in your case.

Luckily, to date, I have had ZERO issues with the head unit, or with any of the supported players, including Pandora playing over Android Android.

Maybe because we have OLD android phone, that are of a similar generation (and older OS), like the Honda Units. Trying to interface the newer OS 8 & 9 systems, has proved to have issue, that the app developers have had to address when enough users report those issue.

One tip I would pass on that has worked well for me .
(a) Turn off automatic updates (do them Manually)
(b) Get an APK exporter app on your phone, and before you update an app that is working , export (save it), before updating. Then if the update has issues, you can Un-install it, and then re-install the older version that you exported, and that did work.

Note: When the app is updated, and is put up on the Play Store, the old version stops becoming readily available, so that's why you should export(save) the old app yourself, before updating.

Its only a minor inconvenience, but takes less than 1 minute to export an app, especially if you save it to a Google Drive (Free, quick & easy).
Its far easier and less frustrating that suddenly finding that things don't work because your phone has updated behind your back, to a new version of the app that has bugs/issues.

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a 2 year old motorola droid when i bought the type r june 17...and it didn't work any better than it is now.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It’s not just opening up the app. It’s pressing play so the phone knows that that was the last media playing. If I open my Music app on my iPhone after playing a podcast or video, and press the play button on a remote/mic on my headphones, it will resume playing the podcast or video at times because you haven't actively switched audio sources.

No even more specifically his issue is with the Pandora App that is part of the head unit.

So most of the feedback we’ve given about Bluetooth connectivity doesn’t apply.
It seems that his phone connects fine to the HU but that the issue is with the functionality of the Pandora app in the HU after that.
So totally different.
The Pandora app on the head unit needs to integrate with the Pandora app on the phone. The phone remains the master and the head unit is an interface. Realistically, the issue is software (which means the tech can't do much about it). It is possible that the issue is in the head unit, but the phone is a more complex system with more variables over the Pandora app on the head unit.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
You also can't change Pandora stations while in the "Bluetooth" app. It only lets you pause, skip to next song, or skip back a song.
If you're in the "Pandora" app (and it's actually working somehow) you can change stations, skip to next song, play/pause, and thumbs up/ thumbs down. It also tells you onscreen which station you're currently in and it displays the song's play time (no not recess)(how long the song has been playing so far), so there are a few benefits over just using Bluetooth app.
It's the only thing I hate about this incredibly fantastic car and it just seems like they should finally do something about it.
Btw, the "latest" HU software update (that I've just tried and doesn't fix this issue) is detailed in Honda's Service Bulletin 18-001created on February 15, 2018. I thought it was describing my issue and saying it would fix it, but it did absolutely nothing for me.
Have you considered just using Android Auto? Pandora works just fine there and with all the features you've mentioned. Never had an issue with Android Auto in this car. Just plug my phone in when I get in the car and control what I need from the head unit.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you considered just using Android Auto? Pandora works just fine there and with all the features you've mentioned. Never had an issue with Android Auto in this car. Just plug my phone in when I get in the car and control what I need from the head unit.
I have same issue as OP. Pandora just wont work on pandora setting on car. Mine displays info, let's me change songs, auto connects to phone...everything but play sound. It shows its playing but nothing comes out. If I swich to blue tooth connection bingo everything works but I loose functions like and dislike. Everything works with android auto but.. its ugly, takes over your phone, gotta have a cord plug and unplug it. Pain in ass. Like op I expect a feature to work as it should. I want to have phone in pocket and that's that. To use android auto gotta keep hooking it up. Waiting on it, get out if car gotta unplug again and so on... it's a pain.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I have same issue as OP. Pandora just wont work on pandora setting on car. Mine displays info, let's me change songs, auto connects to phone...everything but play sound. It shows its playing but nothing comes out. If I swich to blue tooth connection bingo everything works but I loose functions like and dislike. Everything works with android auto but.. its ugly, takes over your phone, gotta have a cord plug and unplug it. Pain in ass. Like op I expect a feature to work as it should. I want to have phone in pocket and that's that. To use android auto gotta keep hooking it up. Waiting on it, get out if car gotta unplug again and so on... it's a pain.
Yeah...I'm pretty sure mine has the same issue as I mentioned in my first post. Sounds like you want the feature to work as you expect...not necessarily "as it should."
FYI, the Pandora app through Android auto looks almost identical to what it looks like on the phone or a computer...
@Number 215 mentioned trying to connect to the HU Pandora app sometimes for 20 minutes, and now you're acting like taking your phone out of your pocket is a huge inconvenience? Sounds to me like you just want to :cry:and don't really want any helpful suggestions. Honestly, if plugging and unplugging your phone when you get in and out of your car is a pain in the ass, then I don't know what to tell you.

I imagine someone must wipe your ass for you after you take a dump. Heaven forbid you should have to roll out toilet paper, reach around and wipe that sh#@ yourself. That would obviously be a pain in the ass.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah...I'm pretty sure mine has the same issue as I mentioned in my first post. Sounds like you want the feature to work as you expect...not necessarily "as it should."
FYI, the Pandora app through Android auto looks almost identical to what it looks like on the phone or a computer...
@Number 215 mentioned trying to connect to the HU Pandora app sometimes for 20 minutes, and now you're acting like taking your phone out of your pocket is a huge inconvenience? Sounds to me like you just want to complain and don't really want any helpful suggestions. Honestly, if plugging and unplugging your phone when you get in and out of your car is a pain in the ass, then I don't know what to tell you.

I imagine someone must wipe your ass for you after you take a . Heaven forbid you should have to roll out toilet paper, reach around your ass and wipe that yourself. That would be a pain in the ass.
Dude your response is rude and you didnt read a damn thing we said. It's not that it does not work as we expect it's that it does not work at all. And yes its suppose to auto connect and yes so you dont have to take it out pocket. Worked like that just fine for months before it stopped.

And to wipe my ass.. dude that's why they car has f@#$ing blue tooth and mirror link so you DONT have to plug and unplug your phone. Grow up.

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@Number 215 mentioned trying to connect to the HU Pandora app sometimes for 20 minutes, and now you're acting like taking your phone out of your pocket is a huge inconvenience? Sounds to me like you just want to :cry:and don't really want any helpful suggestions. Honestly, if plugging and unplugging your phone when you get in and out of your car is a pain in the ass, then I don't know what to tell you.

I imagine someone must wipe your ass for you after you take a dump. Heaven forbid you should have to roll out toilet paper, reach around and wipe that sh#@ yourself. That would obviously be a pain in the ass.
Wow. Too bad you can't Unthank a post without Thanking it first lol
It is SUPPOSED to work the way we've been wanting it to work.... But it DOES NOT WORK. ITS BROKEN. IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED.
"Well my car didn't have working wipers, so all I do is just put the window down in rain storms, reach around with a paper towel, and wipe my side of the windshield and everything is perfectly fine, piece of cake, and I don't know why everyone's bitching that the wipers don't work." --nobody ever.
Sponsored