Bluetooth connectivity issues with Android phones !

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm just fed up with this Bluetooth connectivity issue. My top of the line Moto Droid a year ago, and now my pixel 2XL, just don't work with this head unit I guess. I'm sick of it.
I sent this message to hondalink and I'm hoping for more suggestions of where I can copy n paste and send to other Honda people, like service reps, quality assurance, etc. If any of you out there are just as pissed as I am, just copy n paste or send your own emails and let's get this fixed finally !
So here's my message ...

Sooo happy I got my '17 Type R ! (for $42,000:( ). I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAR !!!! ....except.... The ONLY thing I REALLY HATE about it is when I start the car and the head unit searches and searches and searches for the phone in my pocket, doesn't connect with it, and says "not detected." It is SOOOO AGGREVATING !!!! 30% of the time, it connects almost instantly and everything works, AS IT SHOULD. The other 70% of the time, it doesn't connect at all. Sometimes, if I try different tactics, like turning car off and back on a few times, or turning off Bluetooth on phone and back on a few times, or switching from Pandora to Bluetooth on the head unit a few times, or exiting/re entering Pandora app on my phone a few times, or restarting my phone, or clearing all open pages on my phone, or just cussing and yelling "what in the f*#k is wrong with this radio ??!!!!" ...it will suddenly work. Other times, nothing. When I switch from Pandora to Bluetooth on head unit, it asks if I want to connect an audio device Yes or No. When I hit Yes, it shows the option "Google Pixel 2 XL" (that's my phone) and I hit that one, and it searches and searches and searches, then says "unable to connect. Check that your phones Bluetooth is On." Then I try some of the other ideas already mentioned, and out of nowhere it suddenly works! Sometimes it takes 20 minutes of sitting in my car in a parking lot, trying to make it work right, before it just suddenly starts working. UGHHHHHH !!!!!!
I just went to Honda dealer twice to fix this. The first time, they said there is a new head unit software update. They tried that. Didn't help AT ALL! So I took it back to them and they said "Well geez sir, it's working fine with our apple iPhone. Why don't you just get an iphone?" "It's not compatible with all phones sir. You have to check compatible phones at hondalink website." Well hondalink says my phone should work just fine ! And it doesn't !!!
Before I got this Google pixel 2XL, I had a Motorola Droid, which was the top model for motorola 2 years ago, and guess what..... IT DIDNT WORK EITHER ON YOUR HEAD UNIT !!! THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS ARE HAPPENING WITH 2 DIFFERENT SMARTPHONES, HONDA !
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX YOUR RADIO !!!!!!! OR I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA EVER AGAIN !!!!!!
IT IS SOOOOO *#!DAMNED FRUSTRATING !!!!
HELP !!!!!!!

....thoughts?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The message looks like a rant more than anything else. Just the way it’s worded and formatted i would ignore it. Bring it to a dealership and have them look at the car. If it’s still under warranty they can upgrade the firmware for free. If not, then they’ll charge you to update the firmware.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
First off, I use Android Auto 95% of the time which means my phone is plugged in via USB and the "Bluetooth" function in the head unit is not available.
The handful of times I have tried just using Bluetooth, it seemed to work fine. The ~2 times I tried using the Pandora app in the head unit, it did not work.

I agree with @tinyman about your rant. If you want someone to listen to you, try something more like this:

Hello,

I am writing to you about a concern I have with the Bluetooth function in the 10th gen Civics. Specifically for Android phones. I own a 2017 Civic Type R and I really love this car, but the Bluetooth function frequently will not automatically connect which leaves me frustrated.
Here some things I have tried. Sometimes they work, but most of the time, if my phone has not already automatically connected, these things do not work.
  • Turn the car off and then back on
  • Turn Bluetooth off and then back on within my phone settings
  • Switch from Pandora to Bluetooth on the head unit
  • Exit and reopen the Pandora app on my phone
  • Restart my phone
  • Clearing all open pages on my phone
  • Yelling at the head unit
Sometimes it will take 20 minutes of repeatedly trying the above steps before it finally connects and starts working.

I have been to XX Honda dealership twice for this issue. The first time, they updated the head unit software and on the second visit, they recommend that I buy an iPhone which I find to be an inappropriate and unprofessional recommendation.
I have tried this with 2 different compatible Android phones and had the same issue.

Please look into a fix for Bluetooth connection to Android devices.

Thank you.

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The message looks like a rant more than anything else. Just the way it’s worded and formatted i would ignore it. Bring it to a dealership and have them look at the car. If it’s still under warranty they can upgrade the firmware for free. If not, then they’ll charge you to update the firmware.
Did you even read my message? I DID take it to dealer TWICE. They DID give me the update whcih describes my issue exactly and says it fixes it... which it didn't. And yes, I completely agree it comes off as a rant. I'm just frustrated. Car's been out for 1.5 years+ and the head unit has been out longer than that, and Honda just doesn't seem to care enough to fix the issue. I'm also tired of companies just choosing iphone or other apple products to do their RND on and not really giving 2 poops about Android users.
First off, I use Android Auto 95% of the time which means my phone is plugged in via USB and the "Bluetooth" function in the head unit is not available.
The handful of times I have tried just using Bluetooth, it seemed to work fine. The ~2 times I tried using the Pandora app in the head unit, it did not work.

I agree with @tinyman about your rant. If you want someone to listen to you, try something more like this:

Hello,

I am writing to you about a concern I have with the Bluetooth function in the 10th gen Civics. Specifically for Android phones. I own a 2017 Civic Type R and I really love this car, but the Bluetooth function frequently will not automatically connect which leaves me frustrated.
Here some things I have tried. Sometimes they work, but most of the time, if my phone has not already automatically connected, these things do not work.
  • Turn the car off and then back on
  • Turn Bluetooth off and then back on within my phone settings
  • Switch from Pandora to Bluetooth on the head unit
  • Exit and reopen the Pandora app on my phone
  • Restart my phone
  • Clearing all open pages on my phone
  • Yelling at the head unit
Sometimes it will take 20 minutes of repeatedly trying the above steps before it finally connects and starts working.

I have been to XX Honda dealership twice for this issue. The first time, they updated the head unit software and on the second visit, they recommend that I buy an iPhone which I find to be an inappropriate and unprofessional recommendation.
I have tried this with 2 different compatible Android phones and had the same issue.

Please look into a fix for Bluetooth connection to Android devices.

Thank you.
Wow ! Very well-put sir. I appreciate your feedback and advice. Just have that sinking feeling that Honda will take one look at that and say "Oh well, ONE unsatisfied person. Doesn't seem too bothered by it. Oh well. Good luck to him. Just go buy an iphone hahaha"

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Yeah, it's not going to help. Guaranteed they already know about the issue and it probably just isn't a priority or is more difficult to solve than we think it would be.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
No issues here. Galaxy notes, Pixel and iPhone have connected just fine without dropping.

They're probably going to blame your phone. Latest updates? Not jailbroken?

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The issue is, when I get in car, start car, the radio is SUPPOSED to auto Bluetooth to my phone in pocket and start playing Pandora on the radio's Pandora app. More often then not, the radio does NOT link up with the phone, but instead just searches and searches and then says Not Detected. It's completely random whether it works like it should or doesn't. So frustrating !
Yes I always update asap. The dealer gave me the latest radio update which came out I think in December. Didn't help AT ALL

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Did you even read my message?
That was my first point in my message. When I said that "I would ignore it" I meant that literally. The way it's structured and written makes it looks like a teenage rant (not trying to be offensive, but that's what it looks and reads like when you first start). It's filled with swears, even if you are #$%@ them out. Completely unprofessional, and if you do send this to Honda (I hope you don't) they probably won't even bother to read it.

If you're going to send a letter over to Honda, or even an email, structure it like a professional letter. Get to the point and avoid swearing. Formatting also goes a long way. Treat it as if you're sending the letter to your HR department to deal with some unruly issue you have. If you wouldn't write like that to them, don't write like that to Honda, or any other organization.

I DID take it to dealer TWICE. They DID give me the update whcih describes my issue exactly and says it fixes it... which it didn't. And yes, I completely agree it comes off as a rant. I'm just frustrated. Car's been out for 1.5 years+ and the head unit has been out longer than that, and Honda just doesn't seem to care enough to fix the issue. I'm also tired of companies just choosing iphone or other apple products to do their RND on and not really giving 2 poops about Android users.
Just FYI, BT is an IEEE standard, it's not Apple vs Android since it should be OS independent. Couple suggestions, reset your BT connections completely (delete all devices, if Android has an equivalent of reset all network settings, do it), restore your phone and do not use a backup and see if the issue persists. You'll lose all of your contacts, messages, etc., but that could rule out some random software issue that could be causing the symptoms.

The service tech saying it works with his iPhone is a little snarky, telling you to buy an iPhone is unprofessional as well. This is something you bring up to his (or her) manager before you bring it before Honda. But the tech is still saying they can't reproduce the issue. If you've kept track of all the times you've brought the car in, you can try to claim lemon law if it's not too late to do it; talk to a lawyer before you go this route though. But if you start claiming lemon, the dealer may be more inclined to do something about it.

Edit: other option you have is to sit with the dealer tech and show them the issue directly. That way they can't deny it's not going on. Bring both phones if you have them. If the issue exists with friends' phones, bring them along too.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you have a secondary Bluetooth enabled device on you, like a smart watch?

One forum poster found that that was ended being the culprit.

The other posts have given you good advice about how to handle this in a mature manner.
Test with other phones on your own.
It should be platform agnostic but if you’re worried borrow another friends android phone and see if that pairs successfully.
If so see if you can narrow it down to your specific model of phone with someone else with your phone.
But any wide scale incompatibility between common phone and what is a very common car would have more than one post for sure.

So put in the work of some more troubleshooting.

Good luck.

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I do have a Fitbit watch. Just for scientific purposes, I'll try a few times while leaving the watch at home....I guess.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I'm just fed up with this Bluetooth connectivity issue. My top of the line Moto Droid a year ago, and now my pixel 2XL, just don't work with this head unit I guess. I'm sick of it.
I sent this message to hondalink and I'm hoping for more suggestions of where I can copy n paste and send to other Honda people, like service reps, quality assurance, etc. If any of you out there are just as pissed as I am, just copy n paste or send your own emails and let's get this fixed finally !
So here's my message ...

Sooo happy I got my '17 Type R ! (for $42,000:( ). I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAR !!!! ....except.... The ONLY thing I REALLY HATE about it is when I start the car and the head unit searches and searches and searches for the phone in my pocket, doesn't connect with it, and says "not detected." It is SOOOO AGGREVATING !!!! 30% of the time, it connects almost instantly and everything works, AS IT SHOULD. The other 70% of the time, it doesn't connect at all. Sometimes, if I try different tactics, like turning car off and back on a few times, or turning off Bluetooth on phone and back on a few times, or switching from Pandora to Bluetooth on the head unit a few times, or exiting/re entering Pandora app on my phone a few times, or restarting my phone, or clearing all open pages on my phone, or just cussing and yelling "what in the f*#k is wrong with this radio ??!!!!" ...it will suddenly work. Other times, nothing. When I switch from Pandora to Bluetooth on head unit, it asks if I want to connect an audio device Yes or No. When I hit Yes, it shows the option "Google Pixel 2 XL" (that's my phone) and I hit that one, and it searches and searches and searches, then says "unable to connect. Check that your phones Bluetooth is On." Then I try some of the other ideas already mentioned, and out of nowhere it suddenly works! Sometimes it takes 20 minutes of sitting in my car in a parking lot, trying to make it work right, before it just suddenly starts working. UGHHHHHH !!!!!!
I just went to Honda dealer twice to fix this. The first time, they said there is a new head unit software update. They tried that. Didn't help AT ALL! So I took it back to them and they said "Well geez sir, it's working fine with our apple iPhone. Why don't you just get an iphone?" "It's not compatible with all phones sir. You have to check compatible phones at hondalink website." Well hondalink says my phone should work just fine ! And it doesn't !!!
Before I got this Google pixel 2XL, I had a Motorola Droid, which was the top model for motorola 2 years ago, and guess what..... IT DIDNT WORK EITHER ON YOUR HEAD UNIT !!! THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS ARE HAPPENING WITH 2 DIFFERENT SMARTPHONES, HONDA !
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX YOUR RADIO !!!!!!! OR I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA EVER AGAIN !!!!!!
IT IS SOOOOO *#!DAMNED FRUSTRATING !!!!
HELP !!!!!!!

....thoughts?

Stop cryin and focus on what a car is MADE TO DO: drive the damn thing (even if in silent reflection)

OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
They MADE the car to have a radio that works....and it doesn't.
And nobody's crying here. More like filling with rage

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
They MADE the car to have a radio that works....and it doesn't.
And nobody's crying here. More like filling with rage
That IS NOT why Honda made the Type R! You bought the wrong car.

It should have come from the factory with no radio and no A/C but they know there are people like you who would cry about not having the distractions and absurd comfort. It's cool, there are many like you.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
They really should add a Dislike option you can click for some of these posts....
Do you use headlights?
Do you use the horn ?
Do you use doors at all ?
ITS PART OF THE CAR
Sponsored