First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
LOL
Seriously.. it shouldn't be a big deal on a Honda. Top speed was conservatively limited at the factory is my understanding. Man, i would love to know how many dozens of hours my old B16 would sit above 9k for extended periods.. and it just felt.. right. I had a Mugen ECU with no limiter.. perhaps Honda's fuel cut off actually creates a damaging condition?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
LOL
Seriously.. it shouldn't be a big deal on a Honda. Top speed was conservatively limited at the factory is my understanding. Man, i would love to know how many dozens of hours my old B16 would sit above 9k for extended periods.. and it just felt.. right. I had a Mugen ECU with no limiter.. perhaps Honda's fuel cut off actually creates a damaging condition?
I have grave doubts that a small amount of acetone in an oil catch can would blow a head gasket. But what I am pretty sure of is driving this engine at 151 mph could not be good for it

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a feeling this thread is going to get interesting

80 mph= 3000 RPM
151 mph= ??? RPM

:popcorn:
I'm still wondering how acetone got into his motor. He stated there was 1tbsp in it which leads me to believe he put it in there intentionally? Maybe hoping that it'll clean the intake valves? I'm just throwing guesses now haha

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm still wondering how acetone got into his motor. He stated there was 1tbsp in it which leads me to believe he put it in there intentionally? Maybe hoping that it'll clean the intake valves? I'm just throwing guesses now haha
Well what I can say is that most likely we will never find out what the cause is. Like pretty much every thread I have seen that starts with "blown engine" or "I blew my" we never find out the cause and the thread turns 100 pages and than gets locked

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I have grave doubts that a small amount of acetone in an oil catch can would blow a head gasket. But what I am pretty sure of is driving this engine at 151 mph could not be good for it
Hmm.. I don't know.. I could see preignition doing it. Is combustion even possible on the up stroke? If so, i would say this was best case situation vs broken piston, crank or rod. I would be looking for evidence while the head was off.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The problem is he said he just started it blah blah. You'd have to be under full power/load to blow the head gasket. you're not going to blow it cranking the engine and sucking up some acetone. unless it was enough to hydrolock it and then that usually takes out the ring lands before the head gasket.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
That is an excellent observation. Unless his speedometer is set to kilometers, I think we found the problem, although even if it is showing kilometers, we still have a problem...
He's from Iowa

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Are you blaming it from him being from Iowa or the speed he is going?
He's saying it's mph not km/h cause he's in the USA.

Ever notice these threads about blown turbo, blown engine, blown gaskets etc. always involve two things. One is a tune. But the issue isn't the fact the car is tuned IMO. It's seems like it's almost always the second factor... a bunch of bolt ons. That combination seems be a formula for problems and potential abuse.

I'm probably going to take heat for this but our car can only be pushed so far safely. A mild tune with a stock setup is safe in my opinion. Stage 2, flex fuel, full bolts ons, going 151 mph... you're on your own IMO as far as reliability.

Last edited:

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well regardless he says it's his fault and is asking which direction he should go for gasket and the overall project, so it's safe to assume we're going off topic now

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well regardless he says it's his fault and is asking which direction he should go for gasket and the overall project, so it's safe to assume we're going off topic now
And that's cool. I didn't mean my post to be a rant against the OP in any way. Just that, I think in the quest for more and more and more power we're losing sight of the fact these are basically econoboxes. Go too far and things tend to go wrong.

But that's just my take. I'm tuned with a more or less stock setup and feel confident it's fairly conservative/safe. I need some reliability from my car.

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Are you blaming it from him being from Iowa or the speed he is going?
Maybe both? They do have some well-paved, long, flat open roads there. So I’d say it’s believable that his speedo is set to mph. He’s obviously running a tuner (the display), driving the piss out of his car on the regular. Who knows what bolt-ons he has. So a leaking head gasket doesn't surprise me.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a feeling this thread is going to get interesting

80 mph= 3000 RPM
151 mph= ??? RPM

:popcorn:
Honda Civic 10th gen Blown head gasket img_20190424_083051(2)

Looks like about 5800 rpm...

I'm impressed his K.Control is still at .49!

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
img_20190424_083051(2).jpg

Looks like about 5800 rpm...

I'm impressed his K.Control is still at .49!
same with his coolant temp and IATs, jesus
Sponsored